Topic: Spreader Plates

The spreader plate rule states that plates need to measure at least 24 square inches.  My four main attachments meet this rule but the rear support angle bar plates are only 15 square inches (5" x 3").  With the contours of the rear firewall,  that is as big as I can fit without flattening out the factory contours and thus reducing the strength of the panel.  Any suggestions?  Is there any flexibility in this rule?

Re: Spreader Plates

I would take really good photos and ask for an exception to the rule.  You'll either get that, or you'll get some good suggestions on how to fix it. 

I would think that rather than "flattening" the contours that are in the way, building a sort of "plinth" to cover them and give you the spreader plate area that you need would be the better solution.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

3 (edited by FJ40Jim 2011-01-02 08:42 PM)

The spreader plates can be bent to follow the car structure. (this actually makes things stronger)

If there are minor irregularities in the car floor that don't meet the edge of the plate, weld the plate where it has good contact, then hammer the irregularities up to contact the plate and finish welding.

Sometimes it is easier to heat the edge of the plate red, and hammer it down to the floor.

HTH

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

The plates can be in different planes, welded together or bent.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

So if I already have a 3 x 5 plate welded in I just need to weld a 2 inch x 5 inch plate next to it and I'll be good?

mspitzer wrote:

So if I already have a 3 x 5 plate welded in I just need to weld a 2 inch x 5 inch plate next to it and I'll be good?

If its well done, yes.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'