Topic: Looking to race the next event!

I have found 4 other people as dumb as myself to dump what little money we have into a crap bucket of a car and do the next one of these races that is most local to us (Florida). The only thing that I am worried about is having my car taken and crushed, bought unwillingly, or banned because someone thinks I was cheating...even though I was not.

I have been building budget drag racing cars for a while. I know how to build a fast car for $500 or less. So if my car performs REALLY well, how can I go about proving I am just good at being cheap? I am far from a cheater and look down on those who do. But I am highly competitive and always strive to win. Even in something as ridiculous as this...lol

I already have a car I was planning on building as my next cheap-o drag project. I bought the car for $500, sold the carb for $300, put another better carb set-up on it for $100. Making it a $300 total car as it sits. But I found an amazing deal. Similar ones typically go for $1500 with the upgrades mine has. So I do not want to get penalized for hunting down a good deal and attending swap meets and constantly hunting on craigslist/eBay for the best of deals.

Any ideas on how to enter my car without being falsely called a cheater?

Re: Looking to race the next event!

Endurance racing is not anywhere near the same as drag racing.  Be careful that you don't build a "fast" car that will only last a few laps.

Better to focus less on performance parts and more on things that will help the car last, like oil coolers, radiators, new hoses and belts, that sort of thing.

Lots of discussion about the new People's Curse rules going on in another thread, look around for it.

But, generally speaking, the most curse votes usually go to a team with drivers who are driving way too aggressively or otherwise poorly.  Most of us leave the budget concerns to the judges.

How to avoid being seen as a cheater by the judges:  Document, document, document.  And don't show up with a car that LOOKS like it's cheating, or looks like you're hiding something.  Does your "better" carb look like a new off-the-shelf Holley?  Think about how the judges will perceive that.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Bring good bribes, good food, and good beer.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

sen2two wrote:

I have found 4 other people as dumb as myself to dump what little money we have into a crap bucket of a car and do the next one of these races that is most local to us (Florida). The only thing that I am worried about is having my car taken and crushed, bought unwillingly, or banned because someone thinks I was cheating...even though I was not.

I have been building budget drag racing cars for a while. I know how to build a fast car for $500 or less. So if my car performs REALLY well, how can I go about proving I am just good at being cheap? I am far from a cheater and look down on those who do. But I am highly competitive and always strive to win. Even in something as ridiculous as this...lol

I already have a car I was planning on building as my next cheap-o drag project. I bought the car for $500, sold the carb for $300, put another better carb set-up on it for $100. Making it a $300 total car as it sits. But I found an amazing deal. Similar ones typically go for $1500 with the upgrades mine has. So I do not want to get penalized for hunting down a good deal and attending swap meets and constantly hunting on craigslist/eBay for the best of deals.

Any ideas on how to enter my car without being falsely called a cheater?

Banned, not likely even if you are big-time cheating. You gotta do something REALLY bad to get banned.

Crushed, also not likely unless you are cheating and also driving like utter jackwagons.

Bought unwillingly, unless you have a $100k V12 you are trying to get rid of, or try to sneak by with a $7k motor I wouldn't even worry about it.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

+1
The rules have been modified so that banning and crushing only apply to @$$holes. You only have to worry about getting your car claimed if the engine's pushing over 500hp and lasts the entire race. Not gonna happen on a $500 budget.

Norcal1320.com forum guys ran a 300zx with big super b wing .

Here is the thing about you Drag racers that I've seen becoming enduranced Lemons racers . they were downshifting and locking upp rear tires before corners and killed there clutch.

Another thing is when you get to the end of the straight away you don't slow down and come back you keep going around in circles . 
They only lasted 30 minutes stints they were tired after that .PLus they aall had 10 second cars and we figured they got mor seat time in 3o minutes than 5 years of drag racing.

I don't mean to be a hater but the chances of you finishing  are real high if not blackflagged out of race !

Hey but good luck !
where you racing?

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

+1 on the drag racer thing, after 5 races I still tell my self its an endurance race. Next race I will not drive as aggressively, tighten up our drivers changes & fuel stops, eat less, sleep more, Ya right.

It Ain't My Fault

the best way to not get perceived as a cheater, is bring your best friendly social attitude, and your best senses of humor. documentation can get ignored(and it has) bribes can be poured all over your engine(and they have; here's a clue don't offer milwakee's best) and totally legit cars can(and do) get penalty laps. If you can't laugh it off, share a beer and a story with your paddock neighbors or people who pass on by, I can guarantee someone won't like the cut of your jib. There are some teams out there that i can almost certify are cheating in some fashion but it doesn't matter because they're some of the coolest people anyone will ever meet. On the track; keep your pace and effort at around an 7 or 8 and you'll minimize ire from other guys trying to just keep their cars running. Your car won't win you a race or award, but your attitude and effort definitely will.

If you have the skill to make it fast, then you should make it absurd as well.

dmoon wrote:

...nah, if you have the skillz, then you should make it absurdly fast.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

DC Doug wrote:
dmoon wrote:

...nah, if you have the skillz, then you should make it absurdly fast.

Reminds me of Superkak racing. 

They got crushed.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Superkak wasn't just absurdly fast, they were very annoying. use of the cop siren in EVERY corner almost.

If I remember correctly I heard they also used the cop siren at 3am

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Superkak was also cheating by thousands of dollars.
What's the point of bringing a nuclear weapon to a pistol shootout?

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

I should have stated I'm not going to bring a "drag" racing style car. That's just the field that I have been in mostly. I plan on bringing a basicaly stock motor and car. Only really focusing on reliability. What i get from a lot of reading is document everything and don't be a d!ck...

I live in Florida, and I didnt see any Florida events on the calander. I might try and get in a few of the Georgia and other closer southern state events. I will also be entering in the Chump Car events also. they will be racing in Florida, so that just makes it easier on travel.

Anyone running an Rx7, or rotary here? Any tips or tricks?

I'll be running a 1985 rx7 with a 12a motor.

The only super-cheater that's ever been claimed was the Pratt & Miller Camaro (the Pendejo Racing S600 was claimed after Los Pendejos made it clear they never wanted to see the damn thing again). If you're not cheating at P&M levels (i.e., putting together a $10,000 decoy engine from stuff "lying around the shop" for their Camaro to distract us from their not-quite-as-cheaty Supra), you don't need to worry much about the claimer rule. Well, unless you drag-race Alfa Romeos and have a 350-horse Alfa Twin Cam, in which case Jay will grab your engine for his way-less-than-350-horse GTV.

I've built a few Detroit V8s for dirt cheap using swap-meet goodies, so I know it's possible to get a lot of power for a dollar figure not too far removed from a Lemons budget, and the same applies to some of the Honda and Toyota engines as well. I've also been to 34 of the 42 past Lemons races and have seen over and over that big engine power without corresponding suspension upgrades makes a car into a terrible endurance racer (thrown rods, constant spinouts, etc)... and you can't hide the kind of suspension upgrades that make monster power relevant. Your best bet is to go with near-stock engine power and concentrate on reliability and low-budget handling improvements.

As for getting the People's Curse, you need to be a total jerkola on and/or off the track to win the ballot; these days, mega-cheaters get hammered with so many BS Inspection penalty laps that they're safe from the Curse.

Of course, we will overlook a certain level of engine cheatery... provided you bring the right car. 400 horses in a Kaiser Manhattan, no problem. 400 horses in a Camaro bores us.

17 (edited by EriktheAwful 2011-01-11 04:37 AM)

Anyone running an Rx7, or rotary here? Any tips or tricks? I'll be running a 1985 rx7 with a 12a motor.

Get rid of the beehive oil cooler and put in a front mount air-to-oil cooler. Be sure and check the inlets for cracks - people tend to overtighten the fittings and crack the aluminum. It can be repaired if you know a good enough welder.

As far as brakes go, run stock rotors with good pads. Racing Beat sells a stainless steel brake hose kit pretty cheap. Get some good fluid. We run ATE Super Blue in our Jaguar.

You'll really want to run with an MSD box replacing the leading ignitor. Instructions at www.mazspeed.com. You'll get more rpm, more power, more torque(!), better fuel economy, and a smoother idle. Instead of spending cashola on two MSD coils, nab one 2nd gen RX-7 leading coil from your favorite pull-it-yourself type yard.

Exhaust is important on a rotary. For a stock motor, get a used dual outlet header (about $100-150) and run a dual 2" exhaust that collects into a single 2" pipe about a foot before the rear bumper. The exhaust doesn't run near anything important, so you don't have to worry about cooking anything. You'll need a serious muffler, but you can probably get away with a Supertrapp exhaust tip. You can even run it under your rear axle, but be sure and make a way to remove it so you can drop your rear axle if needed. I'd post a pic of the exhaust on mine, but CarDomain isn't working right now.

Safety wire your secondary linkage on your carburetor so it acts like a mechanical secondary. Or send your carburetor to PB&J Racing to have it modded ($300 IIRC).

If you can find a reduced diameter front pulley and an electric fan dirt cheap, put 'em on and toss the clutch fan.

Don't worry so much about ditching the emissions stuff. It weighs less than 10 lbs and doesn't rob any significant horsepower. Just make sure there aren't any vacuum leaks. Be especially sure to check the hose on the backside of the intake manifold and the intake manifold gasket.