Topic: Turbo question

So, in progress of building a car. It wouldn't happen before our first race, but I am curious....
I have the stock turbo off my 2004 5.9 cummins(54mm compressor currently wastegated at 30psi) just sitting on a shelf collecting dust. It is totally oversized and would look ridiculous on any motor at Lemons, but what would the judges think?
I don't know if we would actually be able to use any boost from it because of the fact it is so big and would probably trash the motor quickly, but it would probably sound cool. lol

#2 1997 Ford Mustang 3.8 v6 -LeMonSpeed Racing

Re: Turbo question

It seems like the judges generally smile upon ghetto-charged contraptions.

I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life there. When I stop coming here, I will be well...

Do it.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

The judges love all forms of forced induction, anything from an OEM setup (like our own supercharged 3.8) to the most wild and crazy ghettocharged creations (like the type 3 turbocharged beetle). The more insane the better.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

5 (edited by towerymt 2011-01-14 02:25 PM)

Which model is it?  What size engine are you planning to use in the car?

A Holset HX35 or something similar is a nice turbo on a 2.3L 4cyl, and would work well on a V6 with a crossover pipe or a I6 with a Y pipe from the two 3cyl headers.  It may look huge, but it will produce a lot of HP per psi boost and it won't be a restriction at high RPM.  Good if you can keep the revs up, and you MUST be able to supply fuel and control ignition timing for whatever boost you're going to be able to hold it to.  If it's a divided inlet, you may need to grind out the divider to try and get some control over boost on a smaller engine.

Also, you'll probably want to fit a wastegate actuator from a Garrett T3 or similar to try and control boost if it's internally gated.  Porting the WG hole would be a good idea, too, if there's room to enlarge it.  You can also weld on the head off a solid exhaust valve in place of the puck to get better control over boost.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

Its alot of work to turbo a non turbo car.  If you don't use it, I would be interested in it.  I have used that turbo on some of my street cars.

ZeeGuys 300ZX