Topic: Whats the deal with spares?

On the extreme side, could you bring a spares car to cannibalize as needed?  Whats the executive policy?

thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamDeathrace

This ain't a parade folks, it's a race.

Re: Whats the deal with spares?

Yes, you could bring a spare car or a semi trailer full of spare parts.  Only the parts on the car count towards the $500 rule.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

that being said don't go through BS then claim that the engine stopped working but luckily you had this race engine sitting on the trailer.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

understood, thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamDeathrace

This ain't a parade folks, it's a race.

The last race has an Olds Achevia in Lemons form right next to a stock Acheiva in the paddock. You often saw them working on both cars.  Likely swapping parts.

I drove a Volvo 240 to the race and raced a Volvo 240.  I would be willing to pull certain parts off my car for the race car if need be.  I actually did grab a lugnut when I couldn't get one to thread back on after a brake pad swap.  If our brake pads wore any faster I'd be stealing pads off my car, too.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

We drove our parts car to PBIR, fortunately all we swapped was a rotor.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

No matter what you bring in parts it seems the part we need is always back at home. Signed The Head Gasket Assassin

We bring head gaskets.

We've decided it's easier to swap our motor than a head gasket so we've put together a spare motor from semi trashed parts.  It should run and even make decent power but we are figuring it will use oil but hopefully not be a complete bug fogger.

The amount of crap we bring depends on where we are racing.  When we race in Houston, we bring less crap and make plans to go to the shop if things get really bad.

When we had a catastrophic engine failure in the fall, we decided to just call it and had drinks and relaxed instead of wrenching.  We all had a good time and got decent seat time.

Spare parts are great but you gotta have a place to put them.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I bring a tub with the major spares*, as well as seals and gaskets. I have normal and high temp gasket paper rolls, aluminum and copper sheet, and stuff to cut them. My daily only shares only the basics of the drivetrain, so there's no spares for the engine.

*wheel bearings, brake hardware, spare transmission internals, suspension bushings, welder

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

11 (edited by therood 2011-01-04 10:17 AM)

We ended up doing an engine swap from our team captain's daily driver, which he'd driven to the track. While he was pretty well done with the car at that point and willing to donate some (easily interchangeable) parts, it wasn't really our intention to have the car for a spare drivetrain.

http://teamresignation.blogspot.com/201 … 00_02.html

In any case, we won the Heroic Fix trophy for our stupidity/willingness to sacrifice a second car.

*EDIT* The only spares we'd really brought were tires, crappy brake pads, some wiring supplies, a huge assortment of nuts and bolts, a few hundred zip ties, and an air filter, which we replaced (our intake stuck up through the hood, and the rain on Saturday morning soaked the filter). For the next races, we may bring a spare drivetrain and a folding hoist.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

We actually swapped in our complete spare motor in Colorado last year in 45 minutes.  It was a life saver and we ended up actually winning the class 3 title based on having the spare motor.  I am going to make a point of having one for every race as well as a spare transmission.  Sitting out on Saturday Sucks, been there done that. 

I am with Troy though there is a point where you have to call it and enjoy the weekend, plus you can only bring what you have room for.  I always bring everything I can because I hate to see another air cooled car sit out if I can help out.  Parts are cheep and I have ended up racing with some of the people I gave parts to at earlier races.

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!

At Summit Point this year I had to fend off several teammates who wanted to start pulling bits from the SC 3800 under the hood of my Buick to help keep our SC 3800 GTP running.

Their pleas of "But we'll put them right back after the race" fell on deaf ears.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Little Buckaroo wrote:

I am with Troy though there is a point where you have to call it and enjoy the weekend

Bah, amateurs!

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

PunisherBass wrote:

At Summit Point this year I had to fend off several teammates who wanted to start pulling bits from the SC 3800 under the hood of my Buick to help keep our SC 3800 GTP running.

Their pleas of "But we'll put them right back after the race" fell on deaf ears.

But it was just a fuse! Not even an important one!

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

But it was just a fuse! Not even an important one!

Yeah, that's how it always starts. First it's a fuse, then it's a belt, then it's plug wires and soon it's the entire supercharger along with the transmission.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic