Topic: Windshield washer- keep tank & pump, or strip it?

Hi All

Just wondering what other people do around here, do you keep the system or ditch to save the weight?

thanks-
olaaf

Flying Rat Motorsports- Turbo Taxi, RIP

Re: Windshield washer- keep tank & pump, or strip it?

leave it, use it.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

In light rain, schmutz from the track can make the windshield pretty grimy, but I've never felt a need for both wipers + washer. I think one or the other suffices.

If you're going the Rain-X route and removing the wipers & their motor, washer would be nice.
If (like us) you keep the wipers, ditch the washer & tank.

[For us it was a no-brainer...we yanked our washer 'cause it didn't work anyway.]

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

I'd think the washer with a working pump and good blades would be a real asset on the track if things got shitty. You'd have to get clarification as to whether or not methanol-based washer fluid would be acceptable on the track...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

All takes is to follow a car that's leaking water or burning alot of oil to fudge up your windshield. We raced without wipers/washers for one race. Guess what? It rained on the second day. Guess what else? RainX is good if you are going fast, 60+, during cautions grime builds up. Then when it goes green again it takes a few laps for the water to rinse off the grime. Til then you can't see very well at all.

How much does a wiper motor, washer pump and resvoir weigh? 10 lbs?

sergio wrote:

How much does a wiper motor, washer pump and resvoir weigh? 10 lbs?

Maybe half that.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Figure most reservoirs hold around a gallon. That's around 7lb of liquid; the plastic tank weighs ounces, and the pumps I've played with typically are around the size and weight of a D-cell battery. So, probably around 8lb for the lot...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Put trans fluid in the washer bottle and put the tube down in the carb/intake. When you are about to get passed by someone, hit the washer and instant james Bond smoke screen. I did this with my 66 ford falcon street car back when I was in my teens.

We have wipers only, and have been in the rain at 2 of our 3 Lemons.  It was not an issue not having the squirter.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

10 (edited by Sir Thomas Crapper 2011-01-14 05:05 AM)

Or, wire the washer to the brake switch, move some lines,and use it for brake cooling...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I would take wipers over the washers. We just leave both functional. At autobahn we could not keep our windshield from fogging up. Had fog-x on it but no dice. It would clear up on caution laps but as soon as you would pick up speed on green it would fog over. I am putting a dryer vent on the next car so i can point it at the windshiled if it rains.

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

who needs wipers anyway.  the one rain stint i had the wiper crapped out after about five minutes and all i saw was the faint blur of tail lights.  maybe Lemons needs a f1 style rain light (no, not really)

but really, how much weight are you saving by nixing the system?  not as much as how it'd save you when you really need it

Keep both the wipers and the washer tank. If either don't work; fix'em. It's a safety issue when visibility becomes a problem, and if you're serious enough that the weight matters, you should probably remove your windshield anyway. Not that you're supposed to be that serious in Lemons...

Take a douchebag (the medical kind) and connect it to the nozzle tube. Fill it up with some water - it'll work in a pinch smile

We're keeping one of the wipers. The tank is out - ours has two pumps, and it was making AC removal difficult. Don't forget that you also get to remove associated wiring, switches, and brackets. The bracketing for tank and wires was a good pound or two. It adds up pretty quickly, especially on an older car - the Saturn didn't have anywhere near the number of brackets that the Stanza had.

We're certainly not keeping the back wiper/nozzle, there's not much to wipe there anyway.

But then again, we don't know how well it'll work out.

K Car Stalker

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Or, wire the washer to the brake switch, move some lines,and use it for brake cooling...

surely you're not suggesting that people spray their brakes with liquid? Shocking a hot disk with fluids is a great way to crack them....

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

surely you're not suggesting that people spray their brakes with liquid? Shocking a hot disk with fluids is a great way to crack them....

...which happens anyways if the race is rainy and you hit a puddle... Cheap chinese rotors will crack, Brembo/Wagner/Raybestos rotors, not so much. Maybe warp.

when it's rainy there is typically a constant wetting of the disks, so you're not inducing a sudden shock, or at least not one of as great a value. Hitting the disks when they are dry and hot is much much worse.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

18 (edited by Sir Thomas Crapper 2011-01-17 07:21 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:

Surely I am...

And stop calling me shirley.

I know people who have actually done it, but well before the time we were sourcing rotors from china.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!