1 (edited by TJenkins121 2011-01-18 05:35 AM)

Topic: Brake Bias

I did a brake pressure sweep on our car.  Necessary brake input 'felt' to relate to 250psi front and 215psi rear @ the calipers.  I have 4 piston calipers with 1.75" non-staggered pistons on the front and 1.375" non-staggered pistons in the rear.  Calculations resulted in 65/35 bias (65% front).  From one website, I read that vehicles from factory come with 60/40 bias, where other websites said the stock combo valves on older cars resulted in a very front biased system (but they did not quantify).

Drivers complained that the car was very unstable under braking.  Our springs do amplify longitudinal load transfer under braking, but I would still think that 65/35 would be a more-than-adequate setpoint for this application.

I'm thinking that there may be a residual valve in the rear portion of the master cylinder?  It was made for rear drum and is now handling disc.  However, I'm not sure that little pressure buildup would cause excessive instability?

Thoughts?

forgot to add.....66/34 @ 150psi front; 65/35 @ 250psi front; 63/37 @ 400psi front.  Appears to be very linear which would say that rear lockup is possible with increased longitudinal load transfers during extreme braking...but the complaint is unstable during all braking.

Re: Brake Bias

Our cars are unstable sitting still let alone moving, crap I'll go one more our whole team is unstable.;)

It Ain't My Fault

TJenkins121 wrote:

Thoughts?

I think you've already put more thought into it than most folks smile

Your bias sounds about right, and you've been more scientific about it than we've ever been.  We threw a $30 bias adjuster in our car and played with it till it "felt right"

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

If the car feels unstable during most braking, then it's not a bias adjustment.

Find and correct the deflection/compression in the suspension that is allowing toe-out under braking.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

TJenkins121 wrote:

I did a brake pressure sweep on our car.  Necessary brake input 'felt' to relate to 250psi front and 215psi rear @ the calipers.  I have 4 piston calipers with 1.75" non-staggered pistons on the front and 1.375" non-staggered pistons in the rear.  Calculations resulted in 65/35 bias (65% front).  From one website, I read that vehicles from factory come with 60/40 bias, where other websites said the stock combo valves on older cars resulted in a very front biased system (but they did not quantify).

Drivers complained that the car was very unstable under braking.  Our springs do amplify longitudinal load transfer under braking, but I would still think that 65/35 would be a more-than-adequate setpoint for this application.

I'm thinking that there may be a residual valve in the rear portion of the master cylinder?  It was made for rear drum and is now handling disc.  However, I'm not sure that little pressure buildup would cause excessive instability?

Thoughts?

forgot to add.....66/34 @ 150psi front; 65/35 @ 250psi front; 63/37 @ 400psi front.  Appears to be very linear which would say that rear lockup is possible with increased longitudinal load transfers during extreme braking...but the complaint is unstable during all braking.

huh?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I had an "unstable under braking" condition in my '66 Pontiac .. and it turned out that one of the bolts holding the tie rod (sort of - this was a primitive car) to the knuckle was completely loose.  You could move the wheel a couple inches with the car off the ground.  Amazingly the car drove great other than under braking.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

JThw8 wrote:
TJenkins121 wrote:

Thoughts?

I think you've already put more thought into it than most folks smile

Your bias sounds about right, and you've been more scientific about it than we've ever been.  We threw a $30 bias adjuster in our car and played with it till it "felt right"

That's exactly what we did, too.  We aren't good enough drivers to notice the difference between the rear drum brakes being locked up or missing.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["