Topic: Honda D-series Transmission: Half shafts?

I'm looking for a half shaft or intermediate shaft setup for a Honda D-series transmission. Is this something that is available on US spec cars or can they be adapted from some other transmissions?

Re: Honda D-series Transmission: Half shafts?

Which D-series motor are you referring too?  There are several and the trannys aren't necessarily compatible.  I don't know about the intermediate shafts.

Some of the 4WD Civics (like the 4th gen RT/4WD Wagon) had an intermediate shaft (perhaps to correct for the increased angles with a higher suspension).
Probably not a great transmission for racing and not sure if the shaft setup can be adapted to your transmission.

-Victor

Spank,

I'm teammates with Overstimulated. We have a Honda civic with an Accura D16A1 (115 Hp) in it. I think the predecessor engine was a D15 (70 Hp)

Your looking for information about the drive shaft that runs from the transmission (right side of the car) across the back of the engine toward the left side?. This allows for essentially equal length drive shafts to each wheel.

Or you want the drive shaft info??

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Spank, the answer is yes, but there are a bunch of parts needed, and they are not that common.

For 1st generation Integra D16A1s (which fit into 84-87 Civics), they had one stock, but it only works with this particular combination.

For 88-91 Civics, there were two transmissions that used the 3 piece axle setup, the 4WD wagon, and the ZC transmission, which was never brought to the US, but as you are in CA, you have good access to JDM yO! stuff, so you can probably find one.  The intermediate shaft is the same part number, and there are plenty of axles that can be used, from 90-93 integras or the 4WD wagon, if I recall correctly.   

Here's the rub though, you can't use the ZC/4WD intermediate shaft with any other D series transmission other than the ZC or 4WD, as they are 40mm instead of 35.  Forget the 4WD transmission, as it has a completely different shift linkage (cable instead of rod), not to mention the extra weight and complexity of the 4WD system.   The only way to get a 2WD D series transmission that can use the ZC/4WD intermediate shaft is to get a JDM Yo! ZC transmission. 
The ZC transmission will bolt to any 88-00 D series engine, and the blocks have the spots for the intermediate shaft bolts, but you have to tap the holes.

So the question is, why do you need it?

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Sonic wrote:

So the question is, why do you need it?

Short answer is I'm running out of cheap A-series engines and parts. Someone set aside a single cam vtec d16 for me when he went B16 or B18 or something like that. For $250 I ain't gonna pay too much attention to details. Anyway, it's a "full swap" whatever that is and I believe he said it was from a domestic market car. I'll be picking it up some day this month, maybe even this week. Don't know the #s yet but will post.

From the little bit of questioning I've done, the equal length shafts will make it easier for me to use a stock subframe and suspension. The angle required for the long shaft will make things more problematic, supposedly.

Spank,
Try Raxles.com  Very good prices for reman cv and such.  They also specialize in axles for honda engine swaps.  Not sure if its Lemons cheap, but if you let them know what you are trying to they can probably point you in the right direction.

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car