Topic: Solid front axle suggestions?

Just paid for my first "race car" and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or experience on how to make a solid front axle handle, at all. It ain't gonna be that quick, but if we don't have to slow down so much in the corners that would help.

Any experience, suggestions, heartbroken stories, or warnings of danger ahead appreciated.

One Bad Idea After Another Racing Dictatorship
Benevolent Dictator

No idea what I'm doing, and totally excited about it.

Re: Solid front axle suggestions?

Woo hoo! Solid front axle! At least you don't need to worry about camber adjustments, except for the kind you get when you run over a bumper at 90 MPH.

Solid front axle?  That's going to be hard to steer, no?

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

squidbreath wrote:

Solid front axle?  That's going to be hard to steer, no?

I'll have to see once we get the car running. I would be much more confident in being able to drive it if it wasn't a mechanical linkage system.

Benevolent Dictator

Check with the Sprint Car guys - all of them have solid (Beam) front axles... oh yeah, and a gazzilion HP to the pound.

So you saying our gazillion pounds per HP should be fine then.

Benevolent Dictator

If you can't move handling won't be an issue - yes.

Beyond that - look at a Mallock U2 Mk6, old formula Jr that goes like stink at a family meal.
It had a ford drop axle. Old style English weedy little thing.

I had a chat with someone purporting to know lots about both the Mallock and the Lotus 7, said the roll center management was the clue to handling - figure out the dimensions to the (not very large number of) mount points and copy what they did (to whatever scale you are working with).
- Oh, and same guy was all blah-blah-blah about the rear suspension - something about how the Mallock was Far superior to the Seven... but as I can't afford wither one I was kinda ignoring him by then.

yeah - Mallock is the Lemons of Formula Jr.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/8 … tid=115948