Topic: Subaru AWD rear diff in RWD car?

I'm thinking ahead of putting together a Spitfire for the '12 season. Up where I live, Spits are kinda rare, but there's a thrashed Subaru AWD wagon on every street corner.

Here's the questions: Has anybody ever used a Subaru rear differential in a RWD car? And if so, how did it work out?

The reason I'm asking is that I've heard tell that the Subaru rear end is specifically designed to deliver a relatively low percentage of the total power to the ground, and that it probably wouldn't last long if you tried to run all the horsepower through it. However, that could easily be third-hand scarelore from folks who have never tried it.

Yeah, I know: What could possibly go wrong?

Thanks, Bob K.

Re: Subaru AWD rear diff in RWD car?

I always had it in the back of my head to do something like that so I have this bookmarked you know just in case

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/powertrai … -pics.html

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

You can check out an audi quattro rear diff.  They come in 3.89 and 4.11 flavors.  They are WAY overbuilt and most will handle any Lemons amount of power.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

Many Subies have a Fuji R160 IRS in the back, same as Datsun 240Z and 510.

So yes, somebody has used the Subie rear diff in a RWD application: Nissan.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Didn't nissan own part of Subaru back in the day.  I thought they were the ones who sold their shares to gm.

Facebook Page

Bottom line is the subaru rear diff is exactly that...just a rear open diff.  All the amazing awd-ness happens in the tranny/transfer case at the viscous coupler.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

Actually the Subaru awd system mechanical and is pretty simple as especially when compared to most of the other ones.  Of course this is what makes it better than most of the ones that are used by the other companies and while it often gets commented on how old their system is and how much more high tech the other ones and then they beat them in testing basically because their system works while sensors and computers tend to not always work.

If you were looking to drop a whole subaru drivetrain in, the first link shows how to disable the center diff which is where amazing awd-ness that porkchops mentioned happens.  Doing that should turn it into a straight rwd car.  There were some older subarus that could go into fwd mode you had to remove a fuse if I rember right.  those were probably the ones back in the 80's and you probaly won't want one of those.

Facebook Page

8 (edited by Spinnetti 2011-01-20 02:32 PM)

jrbe wrote:

You can check out an audi quattro rear diff.  They come in 3.89 and 4.11 flavors.  They are WAY overbuilt and most will handle any Lemons amount of power.

+1... I've put around 350ft/lb through mine for the last 60k miles (aggressively) without a whimper smile (stock is 166ft/lb)

Also, if you don't tell the diff its not in a Soob, it won't know! Sure, it will work just fine. Go for it!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

What about converting AWD to FWD? For example to use the transmission as a rear transaxle for a midengine car.  What do you have to do to convert it to this?

-Victor

sublimate wrote:

What about converting AWD to FWD? For example to use the transmission as a rear transaxle for a midengine car.  What do you have to do to convert it to this?

Well, in that case, save yourself some hassle, and just use the FWD transaxle - e.g. a soob FWD transaxle mounted mid-ship, and RWD... By your asking the questions, not sure you want to attempt that level of hoonery at this stage of your mad-max experience?

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:

By your asking the questions, not sure you want to attempt that level of hoonery at this stage of your mad-max experience?

Just casting around for options for my R5 Turbo Le Lemon.  Beat-up & rusty AWD subies are common as dirt out here, but haven't run across any FWD ones.

I'll probably end up going with a transverse FWD set up for ease.  But the possibility of making it longitudinal (as the R5 Turbo was) and getting a turbo engine in the package as well is intriguing.

-Victor

sublimate wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

By your asking the questions, not sure you want to attempt that level of hoonery at this stage of your mad-max experience?

Just casting around for options for my R5 Turbo Le Lemon.  Beat-up & rusty AWD subies are common as dirt out here, but haven't run across any FWD ones.

I'll probably end up going with a transverse FWD set up for ease.  But the possibility of making it longitudinal (as the R5 Turbo was) and getting a turbo engine in the package as well is intriguing.

Cool.. go find a soob FWD and you are golden!

96-01 Fwd Audi A4's and VW Passat's have longitudinal 4 cylinder turbo engines mounted to transaxles.  Usually cheap too since the audi community treats fwd cars like redheaded step children. 
Sorry if I offended any gingers...blame south park!!!

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

The Acura Vigor had a longitudinal mounted FWD 5-cylinder engine.  You get bonus points for 5-cylinder weirdness.  176 hp is pretty decent, too.  Manual transmission available.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

BoB wrote:

There were some older subarus that could go into fwd mode you had to remove a fuse if I rember right.  those were probably the ones back in the 80's and you probaly won't want one of those.

Acutally the newer models with automatic transmissions had this feature for towing purposes.  The automatics were an electronically controlled diff versus the standard shifts were manual.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

go for the 3.5L chrysler in the LH cars. those were all longitudinally-mounted FWD; plus 230-250HP can only help the potential awesome factor (I should probably stop sharing this idea as I want to do it myself)

Serj wrote:

go for the 3.5L chrysler in the LH cars. those were all longitudinally-mounted FWD; plus 230-250HP can only help the potential awesome factor (I should probably stop sharing this idea as I want to do it myself)

And quite possibly the single most unreliable automatic transmission in the modern era.  Even the guy I know that owns a transmission shop gave up on his Intrepid when it stranded his family out of state with a blown transmission.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

rpone605 wrote:
BoB wrote:

There were some older subarus that could go into fwd mode you had to remove a fuse if I rember right.  those were probably the ones back in the 80's and you probaly won't want one of those.

Acutally the newer models with automatic transmissions had this feature for towing purposes.  The automatics were an electronically controlled diff versus the standard shifts were manual.

I know 2000 and above didn't have this on the legacies.  so maybe it was in the 90s.  The only cars I remember seeing people do this was on the cars that were also offered as fwd only also.  Although I remember a lot of questions about doing this both on if it really worked and if it would make a difference on fuel mileage which was the reason people would do it.

Facebook Page

dculberson wrote:
Serj wrote:

And quite possibly the single most unreliable automatic transmission in the modern era.  Even the guy I know that owns a transmission shop gave up on his Intrepid when it stranded his family out of state with a blown transmission.

so you're saying it's Lemons perfection incarnate? big_smile