Topic: Q: Front bumper cover/support --- do I need it?

Hi:
I'm working my 95 Ford Thunderbird LX for Lemons. One recommendation from the Tbird enthusiasts is that I should ditch the "front bumper cover support." It looks like a honeycomb of plastic.

Basically we have
"bumper cover (aerodynamic body stuff)" -> Bumper Cover support (the aforementioned honeycomb) -> front bumper (actual metal)

I'm of the opinion that I should keep as much protection as I can for the car considering how some of your folks drive. OTOH, I could potentially sell this piece and recoup some bucks into my budget.

Q: What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

2 (edited by Hoonatic Racing 2011-01-10 07:43 AM)

Re: Q: Front bumper cover/support --- do I need it?

gunn wrote:

I'm of the opinion that I should keep as much protection as I can for the car considering how some of your folks drive.

Them's fightin' words!
The front bumper would most likely protect you when you hit someone because you dive bombed a corner. If you were really worried about our driving, you would move the honeycomb to the sides of your car.
If you think you are a good enough driver, get rid of both bumper cover and support as both add weight, and you won't be going fast enough long enough for aerodynamics to matter.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Sell the support and buy new brake fluid.  You won't need it (the front bumper)

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
gunn wrote:

I'm of the opinion that I should keep as much protection as I can for the car considering how some of your folks drive.

Them's fightin' words!
The front bumper would most likely protect you when you hit someone because you dive bombed a corner. If you were really worried about our driving, you would move the honeycomb to the sides of your car.
If you think you are a good enough driver, get rid of both bumper cover and support as both add weight, and you won't be going fast enough long enough for aerodynamics to matter.

Point taken.
Perhaps I should just screw pillows to the side of the car. smile

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

the cover/support; No. the metal bumper and IT'S supports, Yes, absolutely.

/thread

Our bumper cover is gone (mostly because we broke it taking it off the first time, and it would just be trying to fall off anyway). We kept the support, however (which, in our case, is a giant styrofoam block).

If you can get cash for it, whatever. If you can't, I'd probably run with it.

The other important thing to consider is whether your bumper cover has a net benefit or net loss on cooling ability and airflow. Usually they're a net loss, but occasionally some bright spot got it right (probably by accident).

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

The weight loss probably doesn't compensate for the aerodynamic drag with it missing, so I'd be clever and cut out parts of the bumper support and run the cover on there. Not to mention the possible effect on the cooling system's efficiency.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

I believe in trimming all the weight you can.  Our car ran with no roof, no windshield and no trunk.  Still we kept both bumpers.  Sure you only use the front bumper when you hit someone, but I remember night driving at Nelson Ledges and watching a car in front of me go into a spin and then then the "oh crap" moment when I smacked it and stopped it's rotation.  I thought for sure I was doomed.  I drove on from the hit wondering how much damage the car had sustained.  The plastic GM bumper was barely scratched.

Not all who wander are lost.

We've had enough people get sideways in front of us that we like to keep as much padding as we can up there.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!