Topic: Rules on 2nd seat?

We are going to put a passenger seat in our e30 convertible for track days.  Do the belts in the passenger seat have to be sfi rated to not have to remove them during the race?  Our caddy didn't have a second seat so I have no idea.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Re: Rules on 2nd seat?

You'll note that most track days tech inspection is up to the driver... they check helmet validity where I have been - and that is that it is Snell, not SA vs MA.
The most tech I've seen was at schools - where they checked throttle return and brake pedal as well.
~I have not been to a SCCA "race car" group track day~

Just put a blowup doll in your passenger seat as part of your theme, in some kind of way.....Then the seat will have purpose.

-Eric
Team Dead Presidents
MR2 President Yee-Haw Lemons Texas 2010 (Yes, it WAS bouncing up and down the WHOLE time!)

My concern isn't FATT, but the next Lemons race.  Would we need to have the 2nd seat and the belts removed during the Lemons race?  I don't think so, just checking.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

The other series has a strict no on second seats, I am not sure here unless its incorporated into the theme.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

we pulled our 2nd seat before the race.  It's probably not that difficult and its one less thing to get sweated at tech inspection.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Why not yank it? It's only a couple of bolts, and one less obstacle for the driver to have to climb over in the event of a hasty passenger-side exit.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

During our fuel/driver stop, we use the passenger area to help belt the new driver, reset our timer and fool with the video.

The seat there would cost us time.
Four bolts to pull the seat and we zip tie the belts out of the way.

Also, our fire bottle resides there.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

to answer your question: the seat can stay, you do not need SFI belts for Lemons passenger seats, BUT no one may be in the moving car other than the belted in driver in full safety gear.

If your passenger seat belt is flopping around, though, you will have to secure it.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

to answer your question: the seat can stay, you do not need SFI belts for Lemons passenger seats, BUT no one may be in the moving car other than the belted in driver in full safety gear.

If your passenger seat belt is flopping around, though, you will have to secure it.

Correct.

The duece will have a passenger seat...

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Correct.

You said deuce.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

bigds01 wrote:
Baron wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Correct.

You said deuce.

Haha, yeah, I did. and I am getting ready to drop it.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs