1 (edited by Bonedriver 2011-01-30 09:21 PM)

Topic: Ridercomm Helmet/Car Radio Harnesses

Ok... due to the SEVERAL PM's I got about the Ridercomm stuff I thought I would create a new topic.

Ridercomm is technically a motorcycle communications rig that is IDENTICAL to the car harness you get from REI and the like. It's simple really, $89 dollars for the Ridercomm system or upwards of $400 for the complete kit from REI depending on what kind of ear buds you get... hell the earbuds are more than the ENTIRE Ridercomm system. And each kit comes with everything you need to wire a car.. so if multiple drivers order the same kit - you have spares for when you rip the wires out of the PTT switch cause you wrapped it too tight around the steering wheel (ask me how I know this). The replacement switch for the "racecar" system will set you back a cool Benjamin from the gypsy peddler at CMP (and ask me how I know that as well)...

I got mine from here:
http://www.hitechwireless.com/RiderComm … 2C129.aspx

I have it semi-permanently installed in my Pyrotech Helmet and it works perfectly. The ear pieces have velcro that keep them in place (for the most part - may have to adjust them when you put your helmet on) and cover your ear. Personally the ear buds give me a headache which is why I like this style anyway. The PTT switch has enough velcro to wrap around any steering wheel (I don't recommend this) or rollbar. There is enough length on the mic boom to position the mic off to the side and not interfere with drinking tubes and still pick up the drivers voice. The only problem is when REALLY LOUD E30's are surrounding you... hehehe. It's also weatherproof for those TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS you find yourself in from time to time... *ahem* CMP *ahem*

Police Brutality runs Black Box UHF radios with the standard 2 Prong Motorola connector (most FMS radios use this style) and has had no issues at all.

I would be happy to answer any technical questions thrown at me about wiring up car harnesses or radios/helmets!

Oh and I forgot to mention that there is only ONE connector hangin out of your helmet instead of two with most "racecar" kits. Which makes driver swaps easier...

Tom Jackson
TPB Electronic Jerry-rigger

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion