Topic: any suggested BS/anti-BS documentation?

super newbie here....My Guess is that some documentation makes the BS inspection go smoother? anybody have ways of suggested BS/anti-BS documentation?  for proof of expenditures/non-expenditures/vehicle value, parts sold for credit towards vehicle value etc...  is this doc really needed?

would the printed craigslist or ebay sold ads work for this along with receipts on things we bought?

we have a 383K mile rx7 from an impound yard... such a piece of car no one came to pick it up...

Or should I not worry... and just let the BS ruling be ruled...

Thanks
Shawn

Re: any suggested BS/anti-BS documentation?

You need a receipt (CL ad, PayPal receipt, photo of cash changing hands, etc) for any relevant transaction. From watching a lot of BS inspections, IF your car raises enough questions for them to care, what they want to see more than anything else is that you a) have the documentation and b) have it organized enough that you can prove your answer to whatever they're asking about right then and there within a matter of seconds.

Odds are good that if you garner that much attention, you'll probably end up getting some laps, anyway. Better to just maintain "beater status", don't over-clean or over-paint under the hood to raise suspicion, keep the obviously "cheaty" parts off of the car, and fly under the radar.

But, your last line says it all. Don't worry about it.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Even if your car is 100% legit, as already said, bring every scrap of documentation you have. And even then you still might get laps anyway, it all depends on how the judges are feeling at that very moment. And if all else fails, cash and booze bribes work very well.

When we took our GTP to its first race, it was all legit but we still got laps because we forgot our paperwork. At its second race we passed two BS inspections and made it out with no laps.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Nothing makes BS go smoother than a fine Single-Malt Scotch. if it's still rough then you might have brought the wrong car anyway. take your lumps and prove what a worthless piece of dung it is so you can get off lap-free on your second+ race.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2008/08/340x_Smokey_Pipe_Lemons_494.jpg

I suggest you read my What Would Smokey Do Cheater's Guide. Bribes help, but not as much as bringing the right car and/or doing the right theme; the purpose of the judicial bribe is to start the BS Inspection negotiations off on a footing of mutual respect. We can go either way on an RX-7, so I suggest you A) do a great theme and B) bring all the documentation you have. Some tips:

1. In addition to bringing all your receipts (for stuff you bought AND stuff you sold off the car), make a cover sheet that summarizes all the non-safety-related cash flow.

2. Don't show us anything on your iPhone or laptop. Print it out.

3. If you buy parts online, shipping costs count. A header that was $10 with $50 shipping is a $60 header.

Judge Phil wrote:

3. If you buy parts online, shipping costs count. A header that was $10 with $50 shipping is a $60 header.

But if you go pick it up, then the costs incurred in doing so (i.e. gas money) don't count, right?  Just making sure.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

But if you go pick it up, then the costs incurred in doing so (i.e. gas money) don't count, right?  Just making sure.

Everything within reason, I believe.

For example, if you drove across town and blew $10 in gas to pick up some random part... whatever, it's a "local" sale.

But, if you had to drive across 3 states and blow $200 in gas to get a great deal on some super-cheaty part that you're claiming $50 on, but is really worth $400 on the open market... that's pushing it.

Of course, if you drive from NYC to LA to pick up a NOS engine block for your Humber for $20 (because nobody else wants it)... then the judges are more likely to ask about your adventure than how much money you didn't add to your budget for it. (see "choose the right car" above)

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Being a "super newbie" means that you will likely break early and often, so laps really don't mean anything.  Bring a crapcan and race it until you run out of spare parts, bailing wire and duct tape.  After your first race, email Jay and get a residual value.  NOW you know what your car is really worth.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

The reason I want to look at eBay shipping costs is all the bait-n-switch sellers who sell a $50 item for $10 with a $60 "handling fee." Many Lemons racers have tried to drive a lot of cheaty parts through this loophole.

All they did with most of our documentation was tell us what a bunch of devious lying cheaters we were for bringing them all of that crap. That's not to say that we are or are not devious lying cheaters, but we did do several minutes worth of hard work making up and printing out all of that stuff. And then we made our kids punch holes in it and put it all in a three-ring binder. The only thing that really made an impression was the "before" picture of the car from when we first picked it up. Of course the damn thing just blows up every race anyway, so we're not really hardcore about the BS inspection, but it is nice to get 0 penalty laps and have that familiar glimmer of hope before a rod  or some other mechanical component flies out of the car a few hours later in a cloud of smoke and crushes it again.

Bring them something nice though, a t-shirt with your team logo or something like that. That way they may be smiling when they call you a bunch of devious lying cheaters.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

rmcdaniels wrote:

All they did with most of our documentation was tell us what a bunch of devious lying cheaters we were for bringing them all of that crap.

Yes, but we'd accuse you of stupidity if you brought zero documentation. Would you rather be seen as a devious liar or a knucklehead?

Judge Phil wrote:
rmcdaniels wrote:

All they did with most of our documentation was tell us what a bunch of devious lying cheaters we were for bringing them all of that crap.

Yes, but we'd accuse you of stupidity if you brought zero documentation. Would you rather be seen as a devious liar or a knucklehead?

"I suggest you read my What Would Smokey Do Cheater's Guide."

Good Read.  I like it...   Thanks for the responses.

Judge Phil wrote:
rmcdaniels wrote:

That's true, it's Jay that usually calls us idiots. At least you guys sometimes give us credit for our low cunning.

scantily clad models make a great substitute for documentation. If you get the models to kiss,  judges might think your Ferrari says Fiat.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Some of our Team tried that ......

Judge:  "You kiss me again and I swear I'll ban your ass for life!" big_smile

I think he meant the models kissing each other, at least that was how it was playing out in my mind.

rmcdaniels wrote:

I think he meant the models kissing each other, at least that was how it was playing out in my mind.

this

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John