1 (edited by firegremlin 2011-01-31 08:18 PM)

Topic: Nissan folks! How long are your brake lines?

Particularly 1st gen 300ZX, RWD 200SX, and 86-88 Maxima owners, for you have the same (or similar) calipers as I do.

Now that our Stanza Wagon has frankenrotors on the back, I wanted to get some stainless steel lines to compensate for our unusually weird and scratch-prone brake line layout and to replace the all-original Stanza lines mixed with even more original (read: rotten) Maxima ones. Naturally, nobody makes "86 Maxima" or "86 Stanza Wagon" braided stainless steel brake lines, so I need something that's mass-produced, cheap, long enough, and with compatible fittings.

K Car Stalker

Re: Nissan folks! How long are your brake lines?

The camera died BEFORE we started cutting into the rear suspension arm with a sawzall to fit in the caliper. But! Here's a picture of what soon became (probably) the world's only 2wd Stanza Wagon with disks in the back, taken as I was test-fitting the disk assembly.

I mean... WHY?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs040.snc6/167004_10150366860740511_672510510_16738218_3687138_n.jpg

K Car Stalker

is that heater keeping you warm?

Yup. I live in an apartment so I coughed up an extra $100/month for an "external" garage, which is, naturally, not climate-controlled. It was ~20F that evening.

K Car Stalker

firegremlin wrote:

Yup. I live in an apartment so I coughed up an extra $100/month for an "external" garage, which is, naturally, not climate-controlled. It was ~20F that evening.

Hmm, you and I have similar race workshops, then.  You must live in a much nicer apartment complex, though...

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

I just pull out enough to win.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Go to your friendly neighborhood parts store, beg barter and plead to jump behind the desk and rummage through their brake lines. Find the longest one with compatible fittings.

Take note of its applications. Buy it. Check fitment. Return it ("Still not long enough, man") and order SS lines.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Wait, a Stanza wagon AKA Nissan Prairie minivan with the wide open pillarless door opening? Awesome!

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

What calipers did you put on the car? And what rear axle are you running??

Call a place called Hose Stop in Whittier, CA.

Brad makes SS brake lines, so he can make you up a set. If you know the caliper, he should be able to figure out the right fitting for it. Or take the old brake line (or just the fitting that interfaces with the caliper) and send it to him along with a drawing of what you want and he'll make it up.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Pegasus Racing has ANY fiting you want, thus there are adapters for most any MXXx00 thread to AN-_ whatever.  When I built my ZR-1 BBK for my Cavalier that is where I got my lines and fittings.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

The rear calipers are stock Maxima rears, 1986. In fact, the whole assembly including bearings and everything is off of a Maxima. The axle (or rather spindle, it's a FWD Stanza) is a stock wagon torsion bar with stopper plate cut down to make room for the caliper. Apart from the cutting and creative brake line bending, this was a bolt-in affair.

I think I figured out the measuring thing - Advance Auto Parts list hose lengths in "specs", so I just have to find the right car and order SS kit for it.

K Car Stalker

Try this:

Take the Maxima brake line to a place that deals with semi trucks and heavy duty equipment parts. They usually make custom hoses while you wait to fix truck parts. There is a place outside of Chicago that I take my part store expensive hoses and they fix them for a fraction of the price. A place like that could make a custom  brake hoses for your Stanza. Call a couple of truck part stores in your area about that, if they don't do that type of work they may know someone that does.

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)