Topic: oil cooler install question

Hi All

I’m installing an oil cooler pulled from a mitsu starion into my crown vic with the 4.6 engine. The inlet and outlet ports are both on one side, I was wondering does it matter if the ports end up on top or the bottom? On the bottom would be more convenient for the installation in the engine bay, but then it would mean the oil would drain out of the cooler when the engine was shutdown.. does this matter? The lines will run to a sandwich adapter on the filter…

Also, I read in the book Modern Engine Tuning that one should never install a used oil cooler, but I’m guessing the author didn’t quite factor in Lemons realties.. or is this a big mistake?

Thanks,
olaaf

Flying Rat Motorsports- Turbo Taxi, RIP

Re: oil cooler install question

Cant quite tell you on the mounting orientation but I dont see it being a terrible problem.  As far as going used, just flush it well with kerosene or some other solvent then dry well before installing and you should be fine.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

i would think you would want the oil to leave the cooler once the motor shuts down.  if i understand how a cooler actually works, when there is no air passing over the cooler there is no cooling.

heat soak on an oil cooler could be a bad thing for the cooler but i have no sound data to support my theory.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

It'll work mounted any which way.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

If there's no way for air to get into the cooler, the oil won't drain back out of it.  It'll be fine.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

If your oil cooler has a thermostat/bypass screwed into it (like RX-7 oil coolers), then it might matter which way you plumb it. I wouldn't worry about the oil draining back. If I were worried, I'd just change the oil more often. Reusing an oil cooler is okay as long as you flush it good. I would try to avoid using an oil cooler out of a car that had a lot of metal shavings in the oil pan.

Also avoid any that have a spray painted engine block, although most of the cash for clunker cars should be gone a few might be left in some yards, and you don't want the stuff they dumped in the oil to kill them anywhere near your car.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Doesn't the P71 Crown Vic already have a factory-installed oil cooler?

Judge Phil wrote:

Doesn't the P71 Crown Vic already have a factory-installed oil cooler?

it sure does. however, are we smart enough to run a p71? nope. we've got the extended wheelbase p70. remember the pathetic NYC taxi that got you a bottle of raki at NOLA? that's us.

thanks for the info all,

olaaf

I would think that a P71 oil cooler would be the way to go, since I'll bet even the P70s have the mounting holes ready to go. But if you've already got a Starion cooler (why not choose a component from the least reliable car in Lemons history?), might as well go with it.

i got this cooler and sandwich adapter for free, helping out a friend. As for getting the stock police cooler, do you know how COLD it is in the NY area? We went to a junkyard a couple of weeks ago and pretty much said, forget it, let's leave after an hour. That, and the fact that the cooler is an air/water type that heats up the engine coolant was all the reasoning we needed to get back in the car and drive home.

i didn't know the starion is the least reliable car though. i won't be mentioning it to my teammates.

thanks
olaaf

Of the cars we've seen enough times to have their Lemons performance be at all meaningful, the Starion is indeed the worst. This is good news for Talon/Eclipse fans, because otherwise their cars would be the worst.

The Panther Crown Victoria is one of the more reliable Lemons cars, but that's probably the P71s only (due to all the cop-grade cooling and suspension stuff). The Modular 4.6 engine is the only Detroit V8 that's been very solid in Lemons racing, though the Chrysler LA engines have been pretty good as well.

13 (edited by Hoonatic Racing 2011-02-11 03:18 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

This is good news for Talon/Eclipse fans, because otherwise their cars would be the worst.

Really? they beat out the XR4Ti?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Find out if the t-stat is in the sandwich plate or the oil cooler radiator.  If it's like the volvo ones, the t-stat is in the sandwich plate, so the orientation and in/out of the oil cooler itself doesn't matter.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Really? they beat out the XR4Ti?

Oh yes. The Starion and Eclipse are worse than the XR4Ti.