Topic: no keys: steering column lock

What is the Lemons preferred method of dealing with a locked steering column with no key? FWIW, it's a column mounted ignition switch circa late 60s, early 70s.

Re: no keys: steering column lock

A tool of a pikey (a big hammer)

Usually you can find where to drill to be able to pop the tumbler out and then you can get the column unlocked.  If you know what its from i might be able to find it in alldata.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

Spank wrote:

What is the Lemons preferred method of dealing with a locked steering column with no key?

Leave it parked on the street overnight in the right, er, wrong part of town.   One of the town's fine young men will pop the lock for you at no charge.  smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

On a Honda you can drill out a small plug int he column, which lets a spring and the locking pin fall right out.  I did this to our car when we eliminated the key switch.

I would think most of those locking mechanisms work in a similar manner.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I've used a dent puller on my Mopars several times. Makes quick work of it on cars with aluminum columns. YMMV.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

If you pull the steering column cover off you will see two screws on the ignition/steering column lock assemble. But they won't have any drive interface (meaning there will be no Phillips or Allen or hex, or slots for your screwdriver, wrench). Punch the heads and drill the heads off then the lock assembly will fall off. Then you have a choice; gut the steering locking pin out of it and re-install as an ignition switch in the normal location, or bolt the switch housing some place else out of the way.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

The mechanism on the Mercedes was damn near impossible as it enjoyed some "anti-theft" thinking so if you pulled the actual lock mechanism out without reading the manual, like I did, a piece a aluminum inside dropped and it would not turn again. Holy over engineering germans! 

2 hrs with the sawzall and its all better though.

I still cant figure out for the life of me why they had fuel lines running through the windshield washer fluid reservoir either, yet another fun surprise during tear down!

Winner Porsche Cup CMP Spring 09 (944), Winner class 2 CMP Spring 10 (Audi 100), Organizers Choice CMP Spring 10 (Merc S500), Grassroots Motorsports Most From the Least CMP spring 10 (audi 100), Overall Winner Capitol Offense 2010 (Merc S500), Winner on laps Capitol Offense 2011 (Merc S500), Organizers Choice Capitol Offense 12 (Mercillac).

DIPSTICK wrote:

The mechanism on the Mercedes was damn near impossible as it enjoyed some "anti-theft" thinking so if you pulled the actual lock mechanism out without reading the manual, like I did, a piece a aluminum inside dropped and it would not turn again. Holy over engineering germans!  ......

I had an E36 BMW which had something similar, to guard against brute force (screwdriver) attacks at the lock.   it was basically a mechanical fuse that would drop into a "lockout" mode, forcing a near full diaasesbly of the steering column to fix it.   Unfortunately, it decided to break on it's own one day after 185K miles, and stranded me.    Damn Germans!

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Are we required to disable steering column locks now?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

jaguar  was  a total  pita    fo  had   2 alarms   like someone would really steal a 86  jag    and if they  did  all you  had to   do  was  check in  with the  local  towing   companies  and  sooner   or  later  it  would  turn  up

What type of column are you talking about? I have a nephew that lives in "the hood" who'd be happy to share his street knowledge with you via me.

It Ain't My Fault

all the cars you've had, and this is the first one with a working column lock?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

trekkor wrote:

Are we required to disable steering column locks now?

KT

"Required" isn't the correct word, since it's not in the rules. "Should" is probably the right word. IMHO, keyed ign locks are more trouble than they're worth in Lemons. Who would steal these things anyway?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

all the cars you've had, and this is the first one with a working column lock?

The sChitroen actually had a working column lock. Was locked 20+ years. When I cut it out and the steering column could finally move, it started shooting high pressure hydraulique fluid everywhere out of the rack seals.

I just didn't want to f-up too muich when there may have been a simpler option.

And I appreciate the advice. I finally took the advice of my cutoff wheel that was begging for some action and cut the steel collar that held the lock barrel to the outer steering column and the lock came right out. There was NO WAY i was going to be able to break the locking bars-- the column would've snapped first.

Looks like there are 2 anti-theft wires in there that plug in to the switch and probably make a circuit when a key is properly used. I'll have to trace those and see what they may have tripped, not that there's been a functioning battery in the car since 1987 or anything.

Was there anyplace that you could cut the sChitroen that did not immediately result in the hemmoraging of fluide hydraulique?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I don't remove the key.

I just want to keep passing tech...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

17 (edited by ronman 2011-02-12 08:05 PM)

Mulry wrote:

Was there anyplace that you could cut the sChitroen that did not immediately result in the hemmoraging of fluide hydraulique?

Actually... YES!
This is my good buddy Aldin drilling le trous a gran vitesse in la capot du sChitroen.
No fluide was observed spewing out of the sheet metal. lol

http://ronman.org/pics/Lemons/miami10/img_0844_std.jpg

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones