Topic: I want one of these engines

http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/Oppo … d-Cylinder

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

Re: I want one of these engines

Very cool.   The loooong connecting rods to the outer cylinders look like a bent rod waiting to happen but that's up to those engineers and metallurgy guys to figure out.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

The combustion chamber is shaped like a lemon.  Nice.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

That's the problem.  Making the engine pass emissions testing with no valves and no combustion chamber is gonna be difficult.  I don' want to say impossible, but nobody else has gotten anywhere with 2-strokes in the last 30 years.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

300 horsepower? in a little package with no overheating and 40% more fuel economy.
We have got to get our hands on one and test it in an Opel or Fiat.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Outstanding. I'll volunteer to guinea pig it in the SIMCA. Where do we get one? At our local DARPA franchise? smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

so, there's finally a size and displacement contender for the wankel? Now i just need to get ahold of someone who's willing to lend me one to bolt up to a C6 in an FB. big_smile

OMG!!! A 2 stroke, diesel, push-me pull-you engine!!!!

DO WANT!!!

Daniel Sycks

The long rods are only in tension, the short ones only in compression.

Scott

so, there's finally a size and displacement contender for the wankel?

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engine … gines.aspx

FJ40Jim wrote:

That's the problem.  Making the engine pass emissions testing with no valves and no combustion chamber is gonna be difficult.  I don' want to say impossible, but nobody else has gotten anywhere with 2-strokes in the last 30 years.

Because it's a diesel, the traditional emissions problem with 2-strokes is not really relavent.     In a conventional gasoline 2-stroke, some of the incoming unburnt fuel mixture slips into the exhaust while both ports are uncovered.     in a diesel, the incoming charge is just plain air, so no unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

I think 2-stroke diesels are still currently used in marine and locomotive applications.

This design is very interesting.     looks like it has a lot of challenges to overcome, but it's interesting.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Its direct injected too, so if they time it right theres not much unburnt diesel out the exhaust.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

WANT.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

jrbe wrote:

Its direct injected too, so if they time it right theres not much unburnt diesel out the exhaust.

Aren't diesels inherently direct-injected?

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

15 (edited by Crab Spirits 2011-02-13 09:23 AM)

Offer them a manta for "durability testing". Put all those guys on your team. The REVATEC is another one I would like to try.
http://www.revetec.com/images/gallery/revetec_render_04.jpg

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

you'd think universities, low-budget upstart engineering firms, and the occasional insane hobbyist would BEG us to use their engines. history in this series has shown that, if the engine lasts the whole race, you have a power plant for the ages!

Aren't diesels inherently direct-injected?

Not necessarily, but for the most part they are.