Topic: battery box

the new rule is a sealed battery box, what is everyone using???

If its not broke fix it till it is...

Re: battery box

a box isn't necessary if the OEM location under the hood is used. anywhere inside the passenger cabin and a battery box is necessary. you can easily pick one up at a marine/boating shop, sometimes the local truck stop has'em.

3 (edited by RandomTask 2011-02-28 08:32 PM)

Edit: I re-read the rules. It states as long as you have a purpose built frame and its properly secured AND its a sealed battery, you don't need a battery box. . . (The battery box is only required for a non-sealed battery) at least that was the way I interpreted it. . .

3.14: Battery: All batteries must be fully secured via proper, purpose-built battery brackets, battery frames, or sealed battery boxes. Zip ties, bungee cords, duct tape, macrame plant holders, and other lame workarounds won't cut it. Batteries located in, or visible from, the passenger compartment must be sealed-type or contained in a sealed battery box. Whether enclosed in a box or not, batteries must not rock, shift, or feel loose--they should feel like a solid part of the car.

the rules says "sealed" are they letting marine box threw tech?

If its not broke fix it till it is...

My marine box passed in '10, as did others.  I'd like to know if this has changed for '11 though.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Our battery box is in our main compartment, and here are the lessons we've learned:

DON'T get a battery box that doesn't also have a strap.  Tech inspectors like the strap.
DO have the strap off, but visible during tech inspection.  The tech gods like to see your terminals.

Therefore, don't get the $10 battery box shown here (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ … sku=167800) from Northern Freight.  Unless you're planning on adding your own strap.  Do consider this beauty from Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Queen-M318 … B0002GD0ZE) to get a complete, well made package.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

the rules says "sealed" are they letting marine box threw tech?

If you have a sealed battery you can use a marine box or no box at all. If you have an unsealed battery you need a sealed box.

We have a sealed battery running in a cheapie marine box from Wal-Mart and it sits where the passenger seat used to be. We have brackets (i.e. threaded rod and plates) bolted through the floor and over the top of the battery (square tube) so the battery will go nowhere in the event of a rollover. Terminals are covered with the cheap vinyl battery terminal covers you can find at every auto store in the Western Hemisphere. This setup has passed tech every time since 2009, which is 6 races so far. YMMV. Good luck!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

In 2010, out battery which was in a Marine box was considered to have "covered terminals" because it was in that plastic box. Doesn't mean it would've pass elsewhere. We're upgrading the battery with the residual this year to a sealed unit.