Topic: I/o Port Racing Cages

Do these still meet the requirements for a proper cage?

I'm referring to the bolt in kits from them specifically, We have used one in the onfirebird for 2 years in 2008 and 2009 and I'm wondering if it will still pass?

As we have it now, its properly bolted in with the supplied collars and 3/8" inch hardware. I plan on installing the second door bar as per Lemons rules but i want to know if the bolt thru spreader plates/collars are still kosher?

I would hate to find out at Stafford that they were not.

many thanks in advance..

No Budget Racing
Chief Instigator
1991 Ponticrap OnFirebird
Racing a Camaro/Firebird at Lemons is a box full of fail, thats why we do it.

Re: I/o Port Racing Cages

Pics are worth a 1000 words.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

3 (edited by Voice Of Reason 2011-02-28 10:51 AM)

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/m … ode=AP7150

that is the exact cage minus the double door bars mine only came with one set (one on each side). Ill try to find some handy ones of the install in the car.

No Budget Racing
Chief Instigator

4 (edited by TeamDFL 2011-02-28 11:05 AM)

You have to weld up all the joints AND weld in at least 24 in^2 worth of 1/8" thick spreader plate under each mounting point.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

Aren't those Autopower  cages?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Yes, they're Autopower cages.  I'm also not sure you are required to weld the joints.  It is recommended, but I haven't heard it required.  But go ahead and do it while you're welding in the second door bar; why not??

They come with spreader plates attached but I'm not sure they're big enough.  Just have to measure.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

is it the measured sq inch size of the top spreader plate only or the top and bottom spreader plate?

No Budget Racing
Chief Instigator

If by "top" you mean the spreader plate inside the car, then I believe yes, just the top spreader plate.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Never make the backing plate on the bottom the same size as the spreader on top. You put the body metal in shear. Same goes for load washers.

If you have a 3" washer on the bottom, put a 2.75" washer on the topside.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Change all the bolt to grade 8 bolts everywhere and your spreader plates and weld in 2 door bar you should be OK .
Make sure your harness bar is 0-15 degrees below harness holes in seat .They will fail you for that !

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

We installed the same cage 1.5 years ago and have to modify it. Modifications include:
1. Larger Spreader Plates that meet the 24 sq in rule.  360 welds and bolts around plates.
2. Welded joints at sleeves.
3. Additional mounting boxes for the 2" helmet rule.
4. 2nd door bar.

Hope that helps.

#25 BuckSnort Racing
09' Nelsons / 10' American Irony, Capitol Offense, Bull Oil, Blago / 11' Gingivitis, American Irony, Shootout
12' Gingivitis, Shootout, American Irony

I was hoping Nick or Murlee would weigh in on this. i guess ill just take shots of the cage install in the car and send it on over. this is starting to get extremely expensive on my side.

No Budget Racing
Chief Instigator

If you want Nick to weigh in on it you have to email him.  He rarely has time to keep up with the forums anymore.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

We tend to accept Accept Autopower cages.  Yes you do need to add a second bar, beyond that, the cage should be ok.

e-mail me with any questions...

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'