Topic: Fueling @ CMP

Hi All

I was wondering how the new rules concerning only using 5 gallon containers worked out? Are there any safe shortcuts that are not immediately obvious? Is there a definite best container to use?

Thanks
olaaf

Flying Rat Motorsports- Turbo Taxi, RIP

Re: Fueling @ CMP

We found that it was faster (for us, at least) to drive out into the gas station that's outside the track, gas up while swapping drivers, check the car for any problems, tighten that stupid exhaust nut and then drive back, than it was trying to fill out of jugs. Filling though the tiny stock gas opening without pressure sucks. You also have to have the driver out of the car (not sure if everyone complied), and our n00b driver changes took some serious time.

In the end filling at the track meant that you spent a good 10-15 minutes out there strapping out, filling through a tiny hole, then strapping back in.

If our exhaust/wheels weren't coming loose every now and then, our optimal strategy would be to just fill at the gas station every 3-4 hours, and swap drivers/check things at the same time.

The only time a gas can saved us time was during the quiet hour, when we topped off the fuel we expended during the first two hours.

K Car Stalker

firegremlin wrote:

Filling though the tiny stock gas opening without pressure sucks.

Here's a secret a lot of people don't know about....you can make that tiny filler hole LARGER.  Ssshhhh!!!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

http://www.saferacer.com/scribner-5-gal … ductid=462

And we use the fuel hose that comes out of the cap.  They work pretty well.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

VKZ24 wrote:
firegremlin wrote:

Filling though the tiny stock gas opening without pressure sucks.

Here's a secret a lot of people don't know about....you can make that tiny filler hole LARGER.  Ssshhhh!!!

Hahahahah nice

Bite My Shiny Metal Tail
#77 Shark Bait Racing

I thought messing with the stock fuel storage/delivery system when not using a fuel cell was a big no-no...

K Car Stalker

I didn't mess with it.  It's a stock VW diesel fill neck. wink

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

firegremlin wrote:

I thought messing with the stock fuel storage/delivery system when not using a fuel cell was a big no-no...

Not being a smart @ss, but show me a rule that says that.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
firegremlin wrote:

Not being a smart @ss, but show me a rule that says that.

Facepalm.

I think we did a whole bunch of extra sweating over rules we thought existed, while forgetting to do such obvious things as stocking up on unobtainium front shocks (which is what ultimately made the wagon so damn undriveable).

K Car Stalker

FJ40Jim wrote:

I didn't mess with it.  It's a stock VW diesel fill neck. wink

Yeah what he said ...

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

We used the Hunsaker 5 gal cans with a piece of tubing clamped on the end.  Our filler neck has been opened up to accept a 1 + OD hose.  We could dump 5 gallons in about 25sec.  This combined with driver swap practice on Friday allowed for < 3 min  hot pit's change (except for the one time our larger driver sat on his lap belts and we had to dig them out of his butt).

Road Warrior Racing - Ford Falcon XB

Porschelou wrote:

We used the Hunsaker 5 gal cans with a piece of tubing clamped on the end.  Our filler neck has been opened up to accept a 1 + OD hose.  We could dump 5 gallons in about 25sec.  This combined with driver swap practice on Friday allowed for < 3 min  hot pit's change (except for the one time our larger driver sat on his lap belts and we had to dig them out of his butt).

No wonder you were so quick in the pits this race!  We can dump 5 gallons in about 45 seconds with our tanks, using slightly smaller tubing that fit the 1" stock filler neck.

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

We have been working on getting our pit stops quicker this year.  Still didn't help enough at CMP we lost first place by 9 seconds..  This race tore the car up good.  We blew a brand new 615k's out on the first day and used a new set of Hawk HT-10 on Saturday.  I'll be happy with more cars to slow down the speed.  We can't afford to bring two sets of tires and pads.  We had a blast..

Porschelou wrote:

are ya'll using a vent of some kind in the fuel system?  from what i have seen when using a Hunsacker style can the fuel flows too fast for air in the tank to escape thus causing a spill.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

In the end of the hose from the gas can I added a 6" piece of PVC pipe that gets inserted in to the filler neck.  There is plenty of room for the air to escape as we fill up.  We did loose some full when the tank was full - but that's what the catch pan is for under the car.   I cut out the flapper door from the fuel filler neck so there is plenty of room for the pipe.

To put all this in simple terms if its looks and is 5 gallons and is gravity (and gravity only) dumped its legal. The whole intent of the new rule was to get rid of any mechanical devices, air pressure assisted fuel systems and over sized gas cans which could hurt people picking them up.

There was also talk that fueling would be done in 1 specific area at each venue.  What happened @CMP and Houston?  Did you fuel in the pits or did you have to drag everything to a specific spot?

Don't worry about things you have no control over!

Captain Morgan's Rumrunners
Central Indiana

CMP was fueling in the hotpit and hotpit only. I think MSR and T-hill are this way as well. Autobahn, Gingerman, and Summit all had paddock fueling last year, but same rules; catch pan, full suit including helmet, visors down, etc.

Well actually they also let you fuel at the gas pump at CMP and several teams elected to do that although it takes longer, paddock speed and all.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

well, track pumps i think usually get ignored unless you have no plans to win and a deep wallet for $5 premium fuel. Yes, there are pumps @ CMP, as well as Gingerman and Summit. I 'think' they have them at autobahn too since there isn't a station within spitting distance of the gates but i could be wrong. we usually just pack the truck with our 9 EPA-approved containers (less than the 50gallon rule some tracks have) and cycle them into our pre-EPA factory vented cans as the race wears on. it works out pretty good, and we may only need 1 trip to the station on Saturday.

Serj wrote:

well, track pumps i think usually get ignored unless you have no plans to win and a deep wallet for $5 premium fuel. Yes, there are pumps @ CMP, as well as Gingerman and Summit. I 'think' they have them at autobahn too since there isn't a station within spitting distance of the gates but i could be wrong. we usually just pack the truck with our 9 EPA-approved containers (less than the 50gallon rule some tracks have) and cycle them into our pre-EPA factory vented cans as the race wears on. it works out pretty good, and we may only need 1 trip to the station on Saturday.

thats kinda what we did filled up several fuel jugs including the 2 that we use for filling the car, after the pit stop we went back to official fueling area and transferred some more gas beack to our fueling jugs. Sunday we went out to the station right outside CMP and fueled up a couple of more to finish the race. The fuel area after the mid race stop on Sunday was packed pretty tight since they wouldn't let us fuel pit on pit road during the quiet hour.