Topic: When themes go bad

I've been tasked with attaching plywood to our car to create part of our theme. 

How far above and behind the car can this "tail" be?

Has anyone in this forum ever attached plywood to a race car and what is the best way to safely attach it?

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

Re: When themes go bad

Use the following dimensions as a guide.
http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/01/Uuq-Sleigher-488x350.jpg
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2008/12/Bipolar_Express-804px.jpg

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

^^^

Yep, i'd say that about covers it.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

yukadas wrote:

I've been tasked with attaching plywood to our car to create part of our theme. 

How far above and behind the car can this "tail" be?

Has anyone in this forum ever attached plywood to a race car and what is the best way to safely attach it?

How you attach something depends on weight.

Light things = zip ties

Heavy things = self tapping screws or welds

Really heavy things = welds + self tappers + zip ties

Don't think I'd ever be brave enough to use glue alone.  The amount of damage / death created if something came loose is proportional to the care needed in the attachment.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

according to how heavy you would do better avoiding the self tapping and drill holes and follow the guidelines for your safety equipment for bolt and washer specs.  Its probably best to go overboard on how well you attach the stuff than have it fall apart on the track infront of someone.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

self tappers = flat tires, possibly your own

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:

self tappers = flat tires, possibly your own

By that standard, Brian (btp76) should have 20 million flat tires.  'Cause seriously, his car is about 75% self tapping screws.

However, using real bolts with washers isn't a bad idea.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

I'm not as worried about the height as I am the rearward extension.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

Someone on here has a star trek enterprise on their miata? i think.  It looks like it hangs off the back 3-4 feet.

Dont use drywall screws.  They snap pretty easily.  Deck screws are much stronger but dont have much surface area to hold the head from popping through the sheet metal.   Fender washers on the sheet metal and plywood side with bolts and locknuts would probably be the best way to do it.

Make sure your brake lights are visable behind whatever you are doing or mount an extra set on the way back of your addition.

Were you thinking this?
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201005/top-gear-builds-thre_460x0w.jpg

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

Another option is foam; we covered our chevonda in a lot of foam, using just gorilla glue.  Worked *great*.  Didn't lose a piece, either on the open trailer ride to and from the race or in the race itself.  (But please don't attach plywood with just gorilla glue.)  I used the 1" isocyanurate foam from Lowes/HomeDepot.  Pink stuff.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

we actually created a sandwich of 2 foam types, then braced it with metal strapping, and bolted it to the hood/trunk through it's back bracing. it works VERY well. Aside from the crazy crosswinds at Gingerman, and our first race on the theme @ CMP (we needed to improve the bracing on the tail of the dragon) it's done the last 3 races with almost no mods at all. the nice thing, since it's bolted in, we can take the head and tail off and put it in the trailer for transport to help protect against damage. the best part, is it has no mass, so WHEN it brakes off (not if) then it's not going to cause a catastrophic accident. To quote RobL when our tail broke:

"Hey it's snowing! Ptooey-Phtpph why does this snow taste like paint & styrafoam??"

jrbe wrote:

Someone on here has a star trek enterprise on their miata? i think.  It looks like it hangs off the back 3-4 feet.

Actually, it wasn't much longer (if any), but it was a bit wider:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1098/460 … 8e7321.jpg

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

Serj wrote:

To quote RobL when our tail broke:

"Hey it's snowing! Ptooey-Phtpph why does this snow taste like paint & styrafoam??"

only Rob would know what paint and styrofoam taste like.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

yukadas wrote:

I'm not as worried about the height as I am the rearward extension.

This is probably going to be hard to give an answer without really knowing what you are planning on doing.  It would probably be best to email Lemons hq with what you want to do and how you are going to do it and see what they say.  They will make the final decision based on things like how likely it is to fall of and kill someone, how much of this design concept is to allow you to block the entire road making it imposible for people to pass you meaning you will win by default, how much time it will take to cleanup after someone hits it and it is in a million pieces on the track, how awesome it will look until it is destroyed, and many other important Lemony factors.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I just wanted to say, I like where this thread is going.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

The enterprise stretched out about 5 feet from the back of the car, but it was too high for someone to hit.

As long as you're not impeding people on the track, it will probably be alright.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

We stuck out the back by about 2ft, and were angled upward a good bit.
http://something.nulldaemon.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/20110219-121108.jpg

The first thing to get hit would have been our bumper, but Jay made us weaken the rearward supports with some upward cuts to ensure the whole mess would collapse out of the way and not become an impalement device.  Honestly, it was a good call.  The odds of another car getting tangled up with our butt is remote, but this is Lemons.

Make sure your stuff is well attached and doesn't present a danger to others on the track.  I'd use the "would I want to hit us from behind in a early 70's Honda?" rule of thumb.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

Didn't a team with a porcupine like setup (porcubimmer i think) have long 3+foot spines hangin off the back that was rear-ended while on the trailer to a race(without breaking). I'd suggest making so it'll break away on impact like some people are suggesting and go the mile to make it debris friendly. ( entertaining when it blows apart but not likely to kill a person or take them out of the race). Anyways best of luck to you on your themed adventure

Buzz Killington wrote:
Serj wrote:

To quote RobL when our tail broke:

only Rob would know what paint and styrofoam taste like.

Never let the truth stand in the way of a good joke.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.