1 (edited by doctawife 2011-03-08 12:44 AM)

Topic: Load of crap or actually useful?

So I've never seen a Lemons racer use this stuff, but the infomercial asshat claims this stuff will:

Clean, Self-Fusing and Permanent
Repairs Leaks Under Pressure
Repairs Under Water
Controls an Unbelievable 700 PSI
Seals Air and Water Tight in Seconds
Each Layer Insulated to 8000 Volts
Tolerates 500° F Temperatures
Flexibility Maintained to -85° F
Works on Dirty, Greasy and Wet Surfaces
Can Pinch a Bleeding Injury as a Tourniquet

It's calked Pocket Rubber Super Tape (insert bad joke/pun here).  http://www.pocketrubber.com/

Anyone heard of this stuff? Is it worth having around?

And yes, I'm lame for being up late enough for this infomercial to snag my attention.  Gotta love working in the ER...

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

2 (edited by EyeMWing 2011-03-08 12:58 AM)

Re: Load of crap or actually useful?

Self-fusing tape has been around awhile. It works. the idea is that it's a silicone tape that will bond to itself when stretched and allowed to recoil. Not always the easiest thing to apply, but all of those claims are entirely possible for silicone. Note that it does take a few minutes to 'set up', which the infomercial manages to neglect.

6 rolls for $20 is actually a pretty good deal, too. Most of the time it's a minimum $5/roll.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

My local Harbor Fright has it for $4 a roll in black - but it's not on the website...
$20 for 6 would be good ~but... to get the 6 you need to send 'em $13 in shipping!
AS it is - $28 for three or $33 for 6 -- so $5 roll at the local auto parts is a better deal.

I put it over my British Kevlar hoses before I put them on the car to prevent the (cough) indestructable kevlar hoses from self destructing in 6 months. Whatever rubber the Brits are using doesn't fare well in an environ that has fuel/oil vapor or exposure to ozone.

In the Air Force we call it F-4 tape. The old guys used to tell us that in Vietnam most of the hydraulic systems on F-4s were patched together with the stuff. Last year at MAM we replaced our PCV neck with a piece of hose wrapped in F-4 tape. It does turn into a gooey mess when subjected to heat and oil, but it will still do its job. Great stuff!

I have a roll with me at the races, just in case.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

We use that kind of tape all the time for sealing up electrical and RF connections.

The 700 PSI thing seems a bit far fetched.

Good stuff though (assuming the product advertised is high quality).

I tried to use something like this last year to fix an extremely leaky $150 power steering pressure hose for the Jag.  The tape lasted about 10 minutes before coming apart under pressure.  We ended up having a replacement made for ~$25.

The military uses this stuff for insulation on electrical connections. I think that's where it is really meant to be used. It does self seal, and does provide lots of electrical insulation. Not sure about the rest of the claims. I've never used it for anything else. The real Mil-Spec stuff is way more expensive, like $20-30 a roll. This might be worth checking out for a few dollars.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

The real Mil-Spec stuff is way more expensive, like $20-30 a roll.

Nope, it's under $3 a roll. Military spending ain't what it used to be.