Topic: Supra as raced weight ?

were racing a 1987 supra I was wondering if others have raced a MKIII supra and what your weight was with driver / cage and full tank of gas...

I'm concerned about the size of bar to use for the cage...

are folks coming in under 3000lbs???

thanks in advance!!!

Re: Supra as raced weight ?

just run 1 3/4 and be done with it, safer the better

If its not broke fix it till it is...

Yeah.  There is zero benefit to running the smaller dia tubing.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

get your car ready for the cage, then throw in 300lbs of dead weight to simulate driver and cage. take it to a scrap yard and put it on their scales

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Trevor57 wrote:

Yeah.  There is zero benefit to running the smaller dia tubing.

Huge disagreement with you there, the smaller tubing allows tighter bends and more room inside the car, I always try to use the smaller diameter tubing...      the result is a better cage.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

6 (edited by Trevor57 2011-03-10 02:59 PM)

Are there many cars around 3,000 lbs where room inside the car is an issue?

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Trevor57 wrote:

Are there many cars around 3,000 lbs where room inside the car is an issue?

Nearly every race car has a room issue...   Scour the forums, its tough to get a driver of even average size safely inside of a cage.

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

We're over 3000lbs in a giant land yacht and it's still fairly cramped in the driver's seat. Just because the car's huge doesn't mean there's much flexibility in where the driver's seat has to go.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

yeah we have some tall drivers, 6'3" , and in that car ,87 supra, room is very limited...

were at 2600 el bees  without a cage right now.. and I can still cut some more crap out if need be..

pretty sure were gonna be safely under 3k lbs

were gonna go full gussets on the cage for more saftey so i think our 1 5/8 should be fine....

Go by published weight.  It would be sad to arrive and not get to play because your cage fails tech.  There people running >4200 lb pound cars out there.

This space for rent.

Even in the LImo there was clearance issues !

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

well were at 2606lbs with cage in sans gas and driver.. we should be well under 3klbs,  so i'm glad we went with the smaller tubing as 1 3/4 would have been difficult to fit in with our tall drivers...

What could possibly go wrong ???

classiccarsw wrote:

well were at 2606lbs with cage in sans gas and driver.. we should be well under 3klbs,  so i'm glad we went with the smaller tubing as 1 3/4 would have been difficult to fit in with our tall drivers...

928 have headroom issues with the stock seat and sunroof...but once all that is gone and a race seat installed, there is plenty of room...my tallest driver is 6-4+ and he fit fine....I think the Supra would be similar....since race seats sit 2-3" lower than stock seats

don't worry too much about weight....you are fine as is......  Make SURE your cage is professionally done...since teams do show up with "I read the rules" cages and fail tech...then don't get to race! 

My 84 928 Estate is about 2800lbs dry without driver...and about 3150lbs with driver and 23 gallons of fuel.....we ran stock wheels (16x7) with 225/50-16 Dunlop Dirreza Star Specs....handled great & a very long lasting tire thats CHEAP...

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2