Topic: Durability of GM LA1 3400?

What have your experiences been with this engine? I know they have the gasket issues, but once fixed, do they stay fixed? I can hold out for the same model with a 3800, but the 3400's seem to be way more plentiful, lower miles,  and in better shape.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Re: Durability of GM LA1 3400?

If its the same gasket issue that the 3100's had, I was told that the new gaskets available are much thicker and better constructed and pretty much fix the issue.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

That engine does like to run warm, so keep it cool and it will be much easier on headgaskets also.

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

I'd hold out for the 3800 personally, course I may be a little biased...

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

The GM V6s have been shockingly reliable in Lemons.

Just don't try to run one on E85. The conrods will use it as an excuse to made a break for it.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Well, our 2.8 MPFI is an ancestor of that engine, and it has earned the title of "only good part in the car."  We string it out and hold it at 6k regularly (doesn't pay to grab 4th on all but the longest straights) and it keeps on truckin'.  With the AC condenser gone from in front of the radiator, temperatures stay low.  It has seeped a small amount of water into the oil from day 1, but with regular oil changes and multiple bottles of cooling system stop-leak this has been a non-issue smile

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

We put that 3.4 in the Craptation to replace the blowed up 2.8, and had all kinds of issues.....but not with the motor!   It's a cheap, plentiful motor that puts out decent power.  Good luck.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

What happened to the Montana in Texas?

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Overheated.  Blew at least one head gasket 30 mins into the event.  I think it cracked a head, too.  It was blowing water out of the front right head bolt when we put water back in it, after dragging it back to the garage. 

Pulled the front head, JB-welded the low spots in the head and replaced the headgasket.  Started it up again Sunday morning, and it ran all of about 15 seconds before blowing water out around the radiator cap.  A rebuild/replace is in order.  Not sure the engine has been pulled apart to completely assess the total damage yet. 

Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

You can learn a lot from a dummy,
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
ApexVinyl Race Team - 2011 Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas IOE, 2012 Gater-O-Rama I Got Screwed

Crab Spirits wrote:

What have your experiences been with this engine? I know they have the gasket issues, but once fixed, do they stay fixed? I can hold out for the same model with a 3800, but the 3400's seem to be way more plentiful, lower miles,  and in better shape.

That generation is know for leaky intake gaskets (at the water jackets).  Replace them and make sure the engine was well maintained ( lots and lots of black build up on the rockers is bad ). Use a Ac Delco PF51 oil filter. That ads a half a quart of oil to the system

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)

We ran a 3.1 at gingerman.  Added an oil and tranny cooler and extra fan.  Had problems with coils breaking down on saturday and then some electrical issues on sunday.  The engine itself used no oil and just stayed at 160 all day.  Hopefully it and the tranny have another race in it!

The 3.1 in the original Cavalier did 8 races and aside from the crank print in the oil pan and accompanying oil pump breakage when we ran over a tractor tire at Altamont (we ran 3 races after that...) the engine was reasonably powerful and absolutely reliable.

The 3.5 in the 2nd wagon was also reliable- the 60* GM V6 has a deep sump and factory windage tray, so pull high 'g's all you want. There are intake manifold sealing issues on the later ones, but pretty easy to fix... and while you're in there, open up the intake runners and match-port the manifold to the head, worth much power, since the 2.8/3.1 stock intakes are crap. The 3400 is better.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 144 races and counting.
5/5/24

Since we're on the subject of the 3.1L, it looks like we may have to run that if I get a good enough deal on this car. We would have to ghettocharge the rear motor. Why does this thing only make 120hp? It just doesn't make any sense.

1969 Subaru 360

Judge Phil wrote:

The GM V6s have been shockingly reliable in Lemons.

Perfect example of how GM cars run badly longer than most cars run at all.

Crab Spirits wrote:

Since we're on the subject of the 3.1L, it looks like we may have to run that if I get a good enough deal on this car. We would have to ghettocharge the rear motor. Why does this thing only make 120hp? It just doesn't make any sense.

My '86 5.0L 4-BBL V8 Camaro only had 150HP.  By comparison the much smaller 2.4L in my '98  Cavalier Z-24 has the same 150HP.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!