Topic: What camelbak to use for drinking water?

Is this the camelbak most people strap in the car to drink water out of?

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreati … 100oz.aspx

Or is there there something cheaper/better to get? 

Also what's the best way to make a mount so each driver can swap one in and out?

Re: What camelbak to use for drinking water?

You may find it gross, but we just shared a 1 gallon Igloo insulated thermos. We installed a drinking tube and a semi-rigid "intake tube" inside the thermos. We made a place to house it and kept the long drinking tube within reach of the driver.  About $15 in parts if you have to buy the thermos.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

We just use a couple 100oz bladders, we dont use the backpack itself.  We swap out a new bladder every stint.  It works great, as it's pretty hard to down that much water without having to pee again smile

FreeRange wrote:

We just use a couple 100oz bladders, we dont use the backpack itself.  We swap out a new bladder every stint.  It works great, as it's pretty hard to down that much water without having to pee again smile

I have to admit I stole your idea from when I saw your car at Reno.

http://www.ltdlx.org/albums/cage/IMG_2047_001.sized.jpg
http://www.ltdlx.org/albums/cage/IMG_2046.sized.jpg

The bladders were $8 shipped on eBay so I bought 5.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

5 (edited by TeamDFL 2009-08-06 05:04 AM)

We hung an insulated bag from the harness bar right behind the driver seat.  The bag looked like the cheap, reusable, bags you can buy at the grocery store for transporting frozen stuff home made of mylar coated bubble wrap.  A frozen .5 liter water bottle was dropped in with each driver's hydration bladder at driver changes with the drinking tube snaked through a harness hole in the seat.

Two guys ordered bladders dirt cheap on clearance from Campmor.  I don't see them right now but they have a complete pack with a 2 liter bladder for $20.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___90527

Ebay is the way to go for the best price but beware of lead/melamine/uranium/dead kittens in bladders of unknown origin.  If you worry about stuff like that, the best one is probably from Platypus which is also PBA free.
http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/hand … er/product
3.0 liter for $23
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___67043

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

At Reno we zip tied three bladders (Two of our drivers were brothers and shared one) to the cage at shoulder level...basically added another bag with each driver's first stint. Worked fine, but I found that I needed to tape the drinking tube to the outside of my helmet to keep it handy....the first time I spit it out when I was surprised by a 280Z passing me at the apex in full opposite lock...if you drop it, you'll be thirsty until the next yellow. Bought mine at Wal-Mart...10 bucks.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

We just took one of our existing Camelback backpacks and wrapped it around the roll cage behind the seat. A pair of bladders and drink tubes was switched out at each pit stop.  It was always one person's job to switch out the drink.  Most of our drivers are disease free, so we weren't too worried about germs and grossness.

Two tips:
1. Always be drinking during yellow flags.  Or, if you have the misfortune, red flags.  The Camelback bladder should be near empty by the time you pull off.  If it isn't, you aren't drinking enough or you flipped your car early in your stint.
2. Find someplace easily accessible to put the water line.  You can't move around a lot in a 5-point harness and searching frantically for the straw is a real pain.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

"What camelbak to use for drinking water?"

In keeping with the Lemons theme I'd recommend a leaking one...

That said, in Reno we started with camelbak zip tied behind the driver then switched to putting it into our suits in the front...  Worked fine.

72 oz Camelback works... You can wrap it behind the seat and run the tube through the seat as pictured above.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

This thread has me thinking about putting a tube out of the bottom of our homebrew coolsuit box...  would be ice cold.

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

NDGeist wrote:

This thread has me thinking about putting a tube out of the bottom of our homebrew coolsuit box...  would be ice cold.

Don't steal my idea... well ok... but I am throwing a Power sticker on your car if you come to Texas. big_smile

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

thanks for all the awesome reply!

Riktor wrote:
NDGeist wrote:

Don't steal my idea... well ok... but I am throwing a Power sticker on your car if you come to Texas. big_smile

Do it.  (so far we're only in for lamest day)

My real question right now is, do I make the pump actually pump the water too the driver, or do I let them use their own suction?  (lazy bastards probably want the thing to swallow and urinate for them too)

perhaps a second pump is in order... hrm...

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

NDGeist wrote:
Riktor wrote:
NDGeist wrote:

Do it.  (so far we're only in for lamest day)

My real question right now is, do I make the pump actually pump the water too the driver, or do I let them use their own suction?  (lazy bastards probably want the thing to swallow and urinate for them too)

perhaps a second pump is in order... hrm...

Water recycling?

I think a low, low LOW pressure pump with a small push valve would be awesome... Maybe a small bypass valve that only closes when pushing the button...

Sons of STIG

I got some 2 littler bladders from walmart this morning in the sporting goods department.  Each one was 10 bucks

Good to know Wally World can support this addiction as well... or fetish... or obsession.... what would Lemons fall into?

Sons of STIG

17 (edited by sbarton 2009-08-11 01:00 PM)

We mad a pouch out of Reflectix material and zip tied it to the roll bar.  We then put our 72oz Camelbak into it for each driver change. 

You can kinda see it here.  It's the big silver pouch behind the driver. 
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/mmarv/DTM-LeMons-090711/IMG_1030.jpg

We got the 72oz Camelbak's for $19 shipped from here.  I think 72 was just perfect.  For $1 more, might as well get the 100oz unless you are space limited.  I wouldn't go smaller than the 50oz. 

The benefit of the Reflectix pouch is that it insulated the Camelbak a little.  Adding the 16oz frozen water bottle to the mix, it kept the Camelbak cold for 2 plus hours while racing in the July heat. 

-Scott

Scott Barton

I was thinking about mounting it above the driver for a gravity feed effect.  That way if the bite valve starts to leak you know right away.  Or you can try and convince the driver that they peed their pants in the middle of the night when they thought the next turn was a left but it was really a right.