Topic: Hello to all!

New to the forum and I live about 45min from the autobahn in Joliet. I became interested in the race after participating in a race there. Any tips that anyone has about chooseing a car, and building the car, roll cage and other saftey mods would be greatly appreciated. It sounds like a very fun event, and I would love to compete!

Re: Hello to all!

Just spend a couple of evenings (weeks?) reading the forum and using the Search function.   You will find that just about any question has already been asked (often many times).   This especially applies to cage questions.

As for selecting a car, do not set out to build a fast car.   A slower but reliable car will give you many more hours of track time.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Welcome.  The first thing you have to consider is why are you here.  Do you want to go very fast and try to compete or make laps and have a good time.  Build a fast car you can get parts for and repair.  If you have a tall and short person remember there is a 2 inch rule for helmets.  Small cars go fast and corner well, big ones seem to help the body aches.  It is getting harder to come up with new ideas, it is great that you are asking this question prior to building a car you will be unhappy with.  We seem to be in perpetual build mode with a couple projects in the works.  I like MOPAR and there are few running in these events.    Dare to be different with your choice.  Remember to build something you can repair.  Enjoy the good times as much as the crappy times.  Our first car got kicked off the track for being just junk.  We laugh about that.  The shame.  Welcome and use this forum as much as you need.  The guys here are great.

This space for rent.

Buy a BMW E30 they zip right thru tech inspection!!!

1985 BMW 535i... one of the slowest builds ever!!!

We would like to see more Detroit luxury cars in Lemons.  I suggest an Eldorado Biarritz.

Or, if you just want to maximize seat time, get something small-ish with good junkyard parts availability, preferably NOT powered by a Honda D or B, Toyota E, small-block Chevy, or Ford Windsor engine. I always suggest the Saturn SL/SC or Volvo 240 to teams that just want to spend as much time racing as possible; those two cars have been very reliable (by Lemons standards).

There have been many many n00bs with the same question.  See the sticky!  That's why it's there!  http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=7415 is your friend!

Seriously, I want as many new drivers and teams as possible, 'cause that means that the series is healthy and I get to race more.  Be welcome.  Have a beer, a seat and a laugh.

My advice - find a car you like.  If it is a 'boring' car by Lemons standards, rock out on the theme.  If it is an 'interesting' car by Lemons standards, just pray that it runs.  If you want to know what is 'boring' and what is interesting, check two things: what cars you see over and over again in the Pics, Pics and Vids thread vs. what cars you see Speedycop / Spank build.  The over and over cars (E30s, Nissans, etc) are boring.  Anything built by Speedy or Spank is not.  Theme appropriately.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Borgward or bust!

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Bribe a team with free labor, beer and bbq and they may let you pitcrew with them for a race and you can learn the finer points of Lemons from some crafty veterans. it will also let you see the cars up close and give you more of an idea what fits your taste and what to expect in tech/bs inspection and the race in general.

2011 Organizers choice at Garrapatas Peligrosas GP as a Rookie team! 2011 Yee-Haw its Lemons Scruffy Nerf Herder 1991 Dodge Daytona IROC Shelby R/T Charger, 2012 Yee-Haw its Lemons 1972 RX2 IOE WINNERS!!!!, 2012 North Dallas Hooptie the arrival of JUDGE FRANK! 2012 Gator-rama in the 1977 Mustang II, 2012 Season Ender the HONORABLE JUDGE FRANK! 2013 BFE GP in the K-Car and an I Got Screwed Award