Topic: Pedal Pads and Pillows? Adding a sawed-off driver to our team.

Looking for ideas to make a new driver fit into our RX7.   We have some tall drivers on our team and the car has been set up for this.   I'm 6'3 and usually there are even taller guys in the car.  The seat is a Kirkey aluminum seat bolted to the floor and tilted back somewhat to give the headroom to clear the halo.

One of the drivers at the last race is 5'9" and after being strapped in, he had to nearly drive on tippy toes.

Now, we are adding a chick.   No, I don't know if she is hot yet or if she has a sister - I haven't met her.  smile 

Anyhoo, I understand she is about 5' nothing.   I haven't put a short person in the car yet to see what can be done but I'm wondering what some of you have done.

Sliders are not a possibility.  We need every millimeter we can get for headroom.  I'm thinking pedal pads!   Securely bolting removable blocks of some sort to the pedals.  Maybe putting an extra cushion in the seat so a short driver can see out of the car. 

Anyone have any ideas or pictures of your solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

2 (edited by Bremsen 2011-03-22 05:54 AM)

Re: Pedal Pads and Pillows? Adding a sawed-off driver to our team.

a/b foam might help some, but don't know if it will take up the slack between 6'3" and 5'nothin.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc … RecID=1038

Ryan Jones
J4 Racing
BAM-Z-NO! Team Holdafone 1987 NA 300zx
Still looking to get into the top 50%.

The slider from Sparco (http://www.saferacer.com/sparco-univers … uctid=2028) is actually quite low profile.  Bonus - it's forward to backward range is quite long - longer than most stock seats, I think.  We have a very tall driver (he tops out somewhere over 6') and a very short driver (5'2 ish) and it can accomidate both.

As a Shorty McShortypants myself, I cannot tell you how uncomfortable it is to be in a seat that's too tall.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

4 (edited by TeamDFL 2011-03-22 06:10 AM)

We use a phone book wrapped with tape for the "short" drivers under 6'2" so they can see over the steering wheel.  An insert system made of rigid foam is your only chance with that much range in driver heights.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc … oduct=4525

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

5 (edited by Team Sensory Assault 2011-03-22 06:34 AM)

I don't think sliders are an option since our floor pan has been beat into submission so the seat can be tilted in the postion it is in.   I do have a set of MOMO sliders that look nearly identical to the ones doctawife posted.   I'll look into it. 

Taped up phone books are right up our alley!    I also like the A B Foam idea!    I can get our driver to make a butt cast!   Even if it doesn't work, I'll be sure to get pics and video.  big_smile

I was really hoping for some ghetto-fab ideas since thats how we roll.   NO pedal block pictures or ideas???

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Removeable pedal blocks have all kinds of fail written all over them.  I can see it now.  A "securely" fastened pedal block on the brake pedal unbelievably comes loose, and short mc shorty pants can't reach the brake pedal.  Ugh...

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

- Notch floorpan
- Convert seat to sidemount
- put sliders on sides of seat, or buy sidemount sliders, which are readily available.

Look up some floorpan mods on some roadrace cars, I almost completely redid mine on the drift car for headroom, but just notched it around the framerail.  There are some bucket seats they sell that have a channeled middle section, I believe the "Sparco Rev" was one of them.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

Have the 5' nothing driver eat lots of donuts to increase her caboose. smile No ideas on what to do for the legs. 70's disco platform shoes in nomex?

Another problem with sliders is that something will have to be fabbed to support the driver's seatback when the seat is slid forward.

I guess some kind of bar that can be slid as well and locked in position with a pin or am I over-engineering this?

Team Sensory Assault wrote:

I guess some kind of bar that can be slid as well and locked in position with a pin or am I over-engineering this?

Answer = this: http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/m … ry_Code=IH

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

^^^ Thats what I had in my head.

I think I can make one with what I have laying around and a trip to Home Depot Racing and Development.

Put the tall guys in one car and the midgets in another

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Removeable pedal blocks have all kinds of fail written all over them.  I can see it now.  A "securely" fastened pedal block on the brake pedal unbelievably comes loose, and short mc shorty pants can't reach the brake pedal.  Ugh...

WHO let the Voice of Reason into this thread???   wink

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

WHO let the Voice of Reason into this thread???   wink

Given that y'all use your exhaust to make BBQ, clearly not you.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Second car is blowed up.  I plan to fix it and run it in June.   After fielding two cars at the last race, I doubt we will EVER do that again.   A rotary is not a good idea.   A turbocharged rotary is retarded.   TWO turbocharged rotaries are setting yourself up for Epic Fail.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Second car is blowed up.  I plan to fix it and run it in June.   After fielding two cars at the last race, I doubt we will EVER do that again.   A rotary is not a good idea.   A turbocharged rotary is retarded.   TWO turbocharged rotaries are setting yourself up for Epic Fail.

Now who's being sensible?

17 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2011-03-22 08:20 AM)

We have one.  We haven't used it yet during a race.  We are on Sparco sliders.  We have a 5'8" guy and a 6'1" guy with long legs.  The seat back is still in close enough proximity to our harness bar that it was deemed (in some ancient thread on this forum) unnecessary.   We've gone through two techs without one.  We always have it with us if tech decides to change their tune.  It's easy to install, but it appears to be a PITA  to adjust quickly.

May want to verify the necessity of this seat back brace.

FYI - Not intending to start a seat back brace debate thread.

doctawife wrote:

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

We have one.  We haven't used it yet during a race.  We are on Sparco sliders.  We have a 5'8" guy and a 6'1" guy with long legs.  The seat back is still in close enough proximity to our harness bar that it was deemed (in some ancient thread on this forum) unnecessary.   We've gone through two techs without one.  We always have it with us if tech decides to change their tune.  It's easy to install, but it appears to be a PITA  to adjust quickly.

May want to verify the necessity of this seat back brace.

FYI - Not intending to start a seat back brace debate thread.

doctawife wrote:

It's actually not that hard to adjust.  We've discovered that we need it in order to pass the 6" rule, but we don't need to adjust it during the race.  When it's snug up against the seat for our tallest driver, it's still within 6" for our shortest.  Works well!

No, I don't know if she is hot yet or if she has a sister - I haven't met her.  smile

I think you might need to find out the important things first.

You'd be amazed what kind of uncomfortable positions your guys might be willing to drive in if the hawtness factor is high enough.

http://image14.webshots.com/15/7/56/97/334275697rEgDyp_fs.jpg

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

^^^ What that guy said!

I better get pics first.  big_smile

21 (edited by dtfastbear 2011-03-22 10:45 AM)

Make a seat insert that moves her up and forward.  I have a huge bag of styrofoam beads that I'll donate to your cause along with a giant thick garbage bag needed to make the form.  All you need to bring is some epoxy.  The process is very easy - think styrofoam rice krispy treats:

- Mix up the epoxy, pour it all over the styrofoam beads in the garbage bag, mix it up so the epoxy coats the beeds, smooth it out to approximate the amount of thickness you need to raise and move forward the 5-nuthin driver, place bag in seat, place driver in seat, wait 15 minutes, remove driver, wait 30 minutes, remove bag.  Trim excess and cut holes for lap and shoulder belts.  DONE.

We can do it at the track on Friday.

Cheers,

Dean

PS - I assumed you were in NorCal and racing Sears Pointless.  If not, well you're on your own for styro beads and garbage bags.

Get your email to me and I'll send you detailed instructions on how to make a seat insert.  my screen name at yahoo dot com.

Anyhoo, I understand she is about 5' nothing.   I haven't put a short person in the car yet to see what can be done but I'm wondering what some of you have done.

You know, the guys on MythBusters slap in remote controls all the time.  Wire up some solenoids and give let her sit back with a RC Controller, it will be just like playing Grand Turismo.  What could possibly go wrong?!?

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

As the 'least-tall' driver, I've used a cushion. Would NOT recommend the phone book unless you either want to swap drivers pretty quick OR you can pad that thing a bit. As for donuts, then you'll have to figure out a width issue...

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

Bremsen wrote:

a/b foam might help some, but don't know if it will take up the slack between 6'3" and 5'nothin.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc … RecID=1038

Is this legal?

We have a tall team.   I'm the shortest at 6'0"    We have seat sliders, so i can reach the pedals no prob, but we had to drop the seat so far down onto the floor pan to comply with the 2" helmet rule, that i will likely have trouble seeing the track.   I only need a boost upward.

Nowhere in the rules does it seem to prohibit seat spacers, but I also can't find that they're specifically allowed either.

Anyone successfully get them through tech?

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011