Topic: Parking brake required?

In preperation for our maiden voyage to Lemons, we are deep in preperation on the car.  Well actually we are deep into beer drinking, with some wrenching thrown in.  I've read the rules a few times, and cannot see anything about the parking brake.  Is it required?

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Re: Parking brake required?

we haven't run a traditional parking brake for several races now. Just use a piece of wood or chocks on the wheels, and leave it in gear when not running.

Perfect, thanks.

Bloomington, IN
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Parking brakes and race cars do not mix.  Applying the parking brake with hot rotors is the fastest way to warp them.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Parking brakes and race cars do not mix.  Applying the parking brake with hot rotors is the fastest way to warp them.

Actually is quick way to weld the pad to the rotor!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

Actually is quick way to weld the pad to the rotor!

I have watched a couple of people do that at de's.  Always fun!

Bloomington, IN

you missed the super secret section of the rules where it says that, not only is a parking brake required, but it is mandatory to have it engaged while out on track

I'd probably want one on the few older single master cylinder cars like the 1st gen Corvair....just keep it for emergency use

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

One trick I learned is to remove the ratcheting mechanism so the brake can be applied, but not locked on.  Basically, remove the button and spring assembly from the handle.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I probably would have left it, but it was siezed, and repairing it is not in the budget.  So as long as it can go, it will.  Thanks again.

Bloomington, IN

Jeff G 78 wrote:

One trick I learned is to remove the ratcheting mechanism so the brake can be applied, but not locked on.  Basically, remove the button and spring assembly from the handle.

That is actually great advice.  Ours is still in good shape and so we left it in the car, but I may take that button out now that you mention it.....

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition