Topic: Getting a SMALL car shipped for cheap- suggestions?

Hi-

I've been lurking on this forum for a while and just now decided to sign up. I need some advice on something y'all are probably good at, getting a car from one place to another for cheap. I need to get it from OR to SC. The thing is, it's a Berkeley, so obviously it's VERY small. Probably less than 700 pounds. So, the two grand I'm getting quoted by carriers isn't going to cut it. Anyone have an empty trailer heading from the west coast with a spare spot in it? Any other ideas? It doesn't even have to make it to SC, anywhere on the Mid-Atlantic would be close enough for me to take it from there. Just looking for an alternative. Thanks. -Ted

Re: Getting a SMALL car shipped for cheap- suggestions?

I've shipped a smaller, lighter car than this (a 400-pound KV Mini 1) from GA to WA.  You may want to look into putting it on a large pallet, if it'll fit, instead of roll-on, roll-off, particularly since I don't know that a Berkeley has a wide enough track to span a standard car hauler.  That's what I had to have done and I was told at the time that this is often the solution for big motorcycles.  Shipping it as palletized freight or as a palletized "motorcycle" may end up being cheaper than as a "car."

Please keep in mind that although I've ridden in Berkeleys, I'm not at all sure of the relevant dimensions of the car or of the largest commercial pallets, so this may or may not work.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

3 (edited by AustinMiniMan 2011-03-31 04:03 PM)

mharrell wrote:

I've shipped a smaller, lighter car than this (a 400-pound KV Mini 1) from GA to WA.  You may want to look into putting it on a large pallet, if it'll fit, instead of roll-on, roll-off, particularly since I don't know that a Berkeley has a wide enough track to span a standard car hauler.  That's what I had to have done and I was told at the time that this is often the solution for big motorcycles.  Shipping it as palletized freight or as a palletized "motorcycle" may end up being cheaper than as a "car."

Please keep in mind that although I've ridden in Berkeleys, I'm not at all sure of the relevant dimensions of the car or of the largest commercial pallets, so this may or may not work.

I've thought about the freight idea. One issue I have is that I'm trying to get the car shipped to me, not away from me, so I'm not there to build pallets etc. But it's still an option. You mind me asking how much shipping the KV cost?

BTW... Relevant dimensions:

Length: 3124mm, 10.2 Feet

Wheelbase: 1778mm, 5.8 Feet

Width: 1270mm, 4.2 Feet

Height: 1050mm

Weight: 280kgs

4 (edited by mechimike 2011-03-31 04:52 PM)

A Berkeley?  Awesome!  My friend (and fellow Tunachucker) Rob has a Berkeley he's restoring and we sort-of co-own a parts Berkeley.  If you need parts, I might be able to help you out.  I've been contemplating using the shell of the parts car as some sort of a resto-mod.

I figured between the two cars we had the market cornered on Berkeleys in SC.

BTW, we got the parts car home in the bed of my full-size pickup.  Check out uship.com, I'd bet money that someone is driving cross country in a pickup and would love to make gas money back hauling a micro-car.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Mike,

We always end up running into each other on the internet, don't we? I knew about Rob's Berkeley, I actually met him at Eurofest a few years ago. He was in his Cadillac and gave me an old Volvo repair manual. Hell of a nice guy. Didn't know there were two Berkeleys floating around Upstate, though! The one I'm trying to get here is definitely in the "resto-mod" category.

Thanks for recommending uship.com. That actually looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I posted an ad and will hope for the best.

And now, the question I always ask you- you have any good 122s body parts currently? Still looking for the grill-surround and maybe some doors. Sadly my 122s hasn't been getting enough attention recently. Other shit, including my 302 powered 960 wagon are absorbing my time. Oh well, there are worse fates!

Thanks again. -Ted

This was when I purchased the KV a little over three years ago, so I was taking care of everything from the "wrong" end, too.  I contacted several auto shipping companies and eventually discovered that the key was to speak with representatives who specialized in motorcycles and ATVs, since the car people tended to think only in terms of full-sized vehicles.  Even so, you'll need to find someone who is willing to work with the dimensions instead of just punching in a make and model (much like auto parts...), but I had luck doing so.

The trick, as I recall, was that each company had a maximum size of pallet which they could handle efficiently, but anything bigger than that became much more expensive, as it would require special treatment.  My car fit just fine, so the company took care of everything, door-to-door, for around $1000.  They took it off the pallet when they transferred it from their cross-country hauler to a smaller box truck for final delivery, so I never actually got to see what they used.  Regrettably I don't recall which company I finally ended up using and I don't have the paperwork handy (or at all?) at this point.  Best wishes, though.  Should be a fun car.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

AustinMiniMan wrote:

Mike,

We always end up running into each other on the internet, don't we? I knew about Rob's Berkeley, I actually met him at Eurofest a few years ago. He was in his Cadillac and gave me an old Volvo repair manual. Hell of a nice guy. Didn't know there were two Berkeleys floating around Upstate, though! The one I'm trying to get here is definitely in the "resto-mod" category.

Thanks for recommending uship.com. That actually looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I posted an ad and will hope for the best.

And now, the question I always ask you- you have any good 122s body parts currently? Still looking for the grill-surround and maybe some doors. Sadly my 122s hasn't been getting enough attention recently. Other shit, including my 302 powered 960 wagon are absorbing my time. Oh well, there are worse fates!

Thanks again. -Ted

It is funny, we always run into each other on the intrawebs.  And never in person.  So it goes.  Anyway, the person you met was most emphatically not Rob.  or at least, not the Rob I am speaking of.  My Rob has never owned either a Cadillac or an old Volvo (unless you count his 1/6th stake in the Tunachucker Amazon).  So apparently there is at least a 3rd Berkeley in SC, and possibly another Berkeley owner named Rob.  And soon to be a 4th Berkeley, apparently. 

And what are the odds that two people in SC own both a Berkeley and an Amazon?  (On a random note, I just realized I have cars representing the first 6 letters of the alphabet- Amazon, Berkeley, Cadillac, Dodge, Eagle, Ford)

One of these days you just need to come by my house and check out my old Volvo parts stash.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

I have a marble dining table that weighs nearly that much (though it disassembles into more compact components--a top and a base).  The seller contacted some moving companies and asked if the table could tag along next time a family was moving to this side of the country with a little extra space on the back of the truck.  It took about three weeks for the right combination of factors to coincide, but the shipping charges were really reasonable.

If you want to take the palletized route, perhaps there's a local cabinet shop scrapping a 5 x 10 or 5 x 12 pallet.  When I worked in the industry, we used to get those all the time under large sheets of laminate; we'd have to take a sawzall to the empty pallets to get them to fit in the dumpster because even the used pallet places didn't want them.

mechimike wrote:
AustinMiniMan wrote:

Mike,

Thanks again. -Ted

It is funny, we always run into each other on the intrawebs.  And never in person.  So it goes.  Anyway, the person you met was most emphatically not Rob.  or at least, not the Rob I am speaking of.  My Rob has never owned either a Cadillac or an old Volvo (unless you count his 1/6th stake in the Tunachucker Amazon).  So apparently there is at least a 3rd Berkeley in SC, and possibly another Berkeley owner named Rob.  And soon to be a 4th Berkeley, apparently. 

And what are the odds that two people in SC own both a Berkeley and an Amazon?  (On a random note, I just realized I have cars representing the first 6 letters of the alphabet- Amazon, Berkeley, Cadillac, Dodge, Eagle, Ford)

One of these days you just need to come by my house and check out my old Volvo parts stash.

Interesting- The guy I spoke with had a white '72 Eldorado, towing a gray Berkeley on a trailer. The Berkeley had a Kawasaki motor. He was from the area... Here's the Berk in Question.  Berkeley

Bob is a friend of mine - main business is transporting art, but he can move small vehicles if his routes permit/require him to pull the double-axle trailer.

If you're not in a hurry, give him a try:

http://itransport4u.com/

Chris

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

postage stamps

well ok a few books of postage stamps

keep the stamps as part of a theme .......

To get a toy car from OR to SC - I assume you live either one or the other - go to the local truck stop (Flying J or TA if possible) and hang out in the drivers' lounge.
Bring a pic of the car on a pallet (in such a way as you could move it with a pallet jack - this could take some engineering, as in stack the spare parts in the end the pallet is on for balance)
Bring an Exact Weight
Chat up a driver or two for "back-haul" or "available space haul"

I've a Long-haul guy lives across the street from me - he'll do a mini for between $200-$600 if it's on his route. (I-80 & I-95)

13 (edited by Spank 2011-04-01 09:13 PM)

+1 on uship.com

the moke was shipped in the bed of some guy's dually pickup while he towed 3 other cars on his trailer.

I once bought a pickup from Florida where the guy was offering free delivery anywhere between Florida and LA-- I told him I'd buy it for his Buy It now asking price if he would throw a mini body shell in the bed when he brought the truck out. He did. When the truck got here, I sold it to Mexico for double what I paid so not only did I get free shipping on the shell, I got an extra $2K in my pocket.

crazymike wrote:

I've a Long-haul guy lives across the street from me - he'll do a mini for between $200-$600 if it's on his route. (I-80 & I-95)

Seems reasonable.  I gather I could have saved at least a couple hundred bucks had I been in a position to get my car on a pallet, deliver it to a convenient pickup point, then collect it at their local facility.  I wasn't in Georgia, though, and this was before I got my trailer or put a hitch on my MG for the Washington end, so I ended up paying the shippers for everything from palletizing and pickup at the seller's house all the way through to delivery at the end of my driveway.

When I got my second KV for parts about a year later, I had it sent via air freight from London directly to SeaTac airport (for a 400-pound car, this was the cheapest option) and got the shippers to drop the entire palletized crate on my trailer right at the warehouse after it cleared Customs.  The curator at the Bubble Car Museum

http://www.bubblecarmuseum.co.uk/

built the crate and assisted with loading for free (I bought it by remote bid as a non-runner at their auction), so sending it the entire distance came in at around $2000, which was roughly what I paid for the car itself (lot #42):

http://www.goldingyoung.com/catalogues/ … /page2.htm

Steep, but how else will I get parts?  So, have I ever flown myself across the Atlantic?  No.  Have I ever paid to have a parts car flown across the Atlantic?  Yes.  Still not sure whether that means I'm doing something right or wrong.

~palletized~
If you're OK with fork-lift damage to the undersides you can get away w/o this for many back-haul loads.
Or if it rolls and can be taken to a loading dock somewhere (I've used train-car pullouts and Supermarket truck-pits to do this - and I've ramped trailer to truck in times of crisis)