Topic: End of era of classic cars in Cuba?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/americas/ … tml?hpt=C2

"At the recent four-day summit of the country's Communist Party, President Raul Castro announced that the legal framework allowing people to buy and sell cars and homes was in the "final stages."

What will this mean to the average Cuban?

He didn't provide details, but many Cubans hope it will be the end of half a century of restrictions. Under current law, they can only freely buy and sell cars that were on the road in Cuba before Fidel Castro's 1959 Revolution.

Russian Ladas and modern Peugeots and Kias now outnumber the 1950s classics, but, for the most part, they are owned by the state and cannot be sold on the free market."

Re: End of era of classic cars in Cuba?

Sounds like some Cubans will be able to make a little money selling the old cars to  collectors in the US.

Thats great, and sad at the same time. Cuba is amazing and walking the streets covered with all those classics is sureal......   but they could use some fresh meat.

51 time Loser.

From what I've seen (from the comfort of my couch thousands of miles away via magazines and videos) a-lot of those classics have been reworked, rebuilt and re-engineered extensively. They can build a new 55 Chevy hood out of a stop sign and a toaster.

Incredible workmanship, but you would be buying something that "looks" like a 55 Chevy, and once WAS a 55 Chevy, but likely contains 10% of the original car.

I'd snap one up in a heartbeat.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

"Authentic Cuba Resto", would probably fetch a good price.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

From what I've seen (from the comfort of my couch thousands of miles away via magazines and videos) a-lot of those classics have been reworked, rebuilt and re-engineered extensively. They can build a new 55 Chevy hood out of a stop sign and a toaster.

Incredible workmanship, but you would be buying something that "looks" like a 55 Chevy, and once WAS a 55 Chevy, but likely contains 10% of the original car.

I'd snap one up in a heartbeat.

I remember watching some pbs or similar show where a guy took a large sheet of steel and used a rag-wrapped mallet and a hand-dug divets in the sandy ground and pounded it into a quarter panel for a 50's era car. It was a spot-on perfect match that didn't even need a skim of bondo to smooth it out. I'm not kidding. It was frigging perfect.

Iv seen some incredible work like that some guy in Indonesia I believe was making perfect replica of the corrugated floor pressing for some vw buses just using old scrap steel, hammers, rocks, and a tire on the ground.

vwdmc16 wrote:

Iv seen some incredible work like that some guy in Indonesia I believe was making perfect replica of the corrugated floor pressing for some vw buses just using old scrap steel, hammers, rocks, and a tire on the ground.

Try fixing the climate control on a Lexus that way.

If you really want to, you can keep just about anything older than a 1960 model car running forever.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

In Mexico, I needed a voltage regulator for my 65 Chrysler.   We searched all over for a new one, nothing.  The alt was putting out 18 volts in a gel battery so we were not in total desperation but the fear was having the electronic ignition fail.  Anyway, on the way back to the hotel, there was a sign that said Alternado and we saw a light. 
The people lived in the shop so we stopped to see if they could sell a used one.  This old man with an analog meter with no face, just a wiper arm on it, spoke no English but thru broken Spanish and pointing he understood our problem.

He took the mission and literally took out VR apart and rebuilt it with junk around his shop.  he fiddled with it for an hour and I'm thinking OH crap, the thing will never run now.  At least at 18 volts we were able to compete; now we are dead. 

Another hour passed and it is midnight, the old man asked us to start the car and bingo, 14.8 VDC.  He nailed it. 

We've lost so much having  parts available that we just do not realize how fortunate we truly are.  By the time a car ends up in a salvage yard there really isn't much left in Mexico.  Compared to Cuba, Mexico must be a haven for spares.  The Cubans have all my respect the way they keep those old cars running.

This space for rent.

10 (edited by EriktheAwful 2011-04-25 06:04 AM)

I went on a church mission trip to Chincha, Peru last year. There are no junkyards in Chincha. If a vehicle craps out and can't be bailing wired back into service, every nut and bolt is immediately repurposed.

11 (edited by m610 2011-04-25 07:23 AM)

NSF wrote:

We've lost so much having  parts available that we just do not realize how fortunate we truly are.  By the time a car ends up in a salvage yard there really isn't much left in Mexico.  Compared to Cuba, Mexico must be a haven for spares.  The Cubans have all my respect the way they keep those old cars running.

So true. You won't believe how many of the engineering students I've taught who didn't know what a Philips screw driver was, or even, figuring these are the "digital generation" kids, what a byte was. We had to be secretive in recruiting (because all the know-nothings would show up) and very selective in hiring interns (looking for people who could solve a problem whose solution that involved their hands) for an electron microscopy/x-ray lab.

I'm finding it interesting how while initially scorned, the neighborhood car guy gets acceptance once the neighbors realize he can fix things besides cars.

I've seen some amazing repair jobs in Mexico (and done a couple myself - anyone ever make their own diesel by mixing Daeco and motor oil?).  There indeed are amazing craftsman but also amazing kludge artists.  I watched a guy fix a radiator with a big hole in it out in the middle of nowhere by taking two fistfulls of bondo (only thing more plentiful in mexico is flour) and smacking them together on either side of the radiator.  10 minutes later, happy motoring.  I never would have thought of that one.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

m610 wrote:

So true. You won't believe how many of the engineering students I've taught who didn't know what a Philips screw driver was, or even, figuring these are the "digital generation" kids, what a byte was.

BCD FTW!!

The first computer I worked on was a Univac 1219 that used ferrite donuts and a series of intersecting wires to record each bit. Kids nowadays get freaked out by concepts like that, along with logic gates, boolean logic and machine language.

Come to think about it, they kinda freak me out now too....

But the genius in the old machines was that they were repairable. We had several hundred logic gate spares on-hand that we could swap in for a quick fix, then repair the old one with new transistors & diodes and wait for the next bug.

Kinda miss the old fixable stuff.

IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

But the genius in the old machines was that they were repairable. We had several hundred logic gate spares on-hand that we could swap in for a quick fix, then repair the old one with new transistors & diodes and wait for the next bug.

The down side being that it broke all the freakin' time.  You had to have a staff of people to keep it running!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:

The down side being that it broke all the freakin' time.  You had to have a staff of people to keep it running!

You do know Pete owns several MGs, right?  Your point may be valid, but it's not a deterrent.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
dculberson wrote:

You do know Pete owns several MGs, right?  Your point may be valid, but it's not a deterrent.

Ha-ha-ha!

Ours were fairly reliable (had to be, as we landed planes with them in the middle of the ocean) and the system had a second computer side-by-side for back-up.  They did break on occasion, but the first step in troubleshooting was to open it up and hit all the circuits with a big rubber hammer we dubbed "The technical tapper." Bang-bang-bang. Worked great.

This would also prove to be a useful strategy later in life.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

Ours were fairly reliable (had to be, as we landed planes with them in the middle of the ocean) and the system had a second computer side-by-side for back-up.  They did break on occasion, but the first step in troubleshooting was to open it up and hit all the circuits with a big rubber hammer we dubbed "The technical tapper." Bang-bang-bang. Worked great.

But you've graduated from rubber hammers to steel hammers for the MG (I have video).  smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

"Sparky" Pete wrote:
m610 wrote:

So true. You won't believe how many of the engineering students I've taught who didn't know what a Philips screw driver was, or even, figuring these are the "digital generation" kids, what a byte was.

BCD FTW!!

The first computer I worked on was a Univac 1219 that used ferrite donuts and a series of intersecting wires to record each bit. Kids nowadays get freaked out by concepts like that, along with logic gates, boolean logic and machine language.

Come to think about it, they kinda freak me out now too....

Was that 1219 a TARTAR?  With a WDC?  Mylar tapw load ?  Ya, That was my first too.

This space for rent.

NSF wrote:

Was that 1219 a TARTAR?  With a WDC?  Mylar tapw load ?  Ya, That was my first too.

Yeah, same stuff except our program was set up to run backwards with the ACLS to land planes instead of launching missiles.

"Don't drop the Mylar tape". <thump> "oops".

"You dumb-@$$ bootcamp! Better start rewinding it. See ya after lunch."

That was a favorite joke to play on the new guy. The "program" was contained on a roll of Mylar tape a mile & a half long and punched with holes that loaded via an optical reader. Dropping the spool meant the center would start falling out of the roll and cascade into a huge mess that had to be untangled and then rewound by hand. It took most people at LEAST 3-4 hours to untangle. And making the new guy nervous almost guaranteed he would drop it.

But only once.

20 (edited by m610 2011-04-26 09:45 PM)

I've got one of those old ferrite core boards. 16k, Nova. Not sure if is is 16 kB or 16k bits.

I started out on static ram and S100. I still have working S100 computers at home, 8" floppies and all. I guess I have a Cuban computer room.

http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/Lemons/Ferrite01-crop.jpg
http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/Lemons/Ferrite02-crop.jpg
http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/Lemons/Ferrite03-crop.jpg

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

They did break on occasion, but the first step in troubleshooting was to open it up and hit all the circuits with a big rubber hammer we dubbed "The technical tapper." Bang-bang-bang. Worked great.

"Percussive maintenance!"  Comes in handy at times.

@m610: Beautiful shots.  I love core memory.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

I've got a bunch of old PLC's with core memory, up to 32 k bytes.  Some are still in service.

I've also worked on an ancient solid state logic controller and still own some pieces.  It was called NORPAK,  all NOR gates.  When I first opened a panel with NORPAK control, I called it spaghetti logic.

i think it was invented late 50's , early 60's.  Cool stuff.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!