Topic: Mounting & Balancing tires

Are there tire trucks, or guys with mounting and balancing equipment at Lemons Races... specifically the Lamest Day at Nelson Ledges?

We're looking to save $ on rims and still be able to bring adequate tires to run all 24 hrs (lol).

Yeah baby!
#47 Impreza:  2009 Lamest Day; 3rd / 2010 Capital Offense; 4th (with a blown head gasket) / 2010 New England something or another; 60 somethingth, f'n wheel bearing / 2010 Lemons Fall South 77th out a 101 - all 10 feet shot off! Then there was Miami...

Re: Mounting & Balancing tires

There are no tire changing facilities at Nelson Ledges. It is unlikely that any of the racing tire suppliers that frequent club races with tire trucks will be there either. Your best bet for local tire mounting/balancing would be to contact tire shops in Garrettsville and/or Warren, Ohio in advance of the race and see if any will be open Saturday afternoon.

i've seen teams at races with equipment, but don't count on it as unless you know for sure someone will be there to help you out

I'll be bringing my ghetto-tastic HF manual tire changer to the Lamest Day, along with some tire spoons.  It's not the quickest way to mount tires, but it does work.  As for balancing....eh, who needs balanced tires at the sledges anyways? 

As long as my team isn't using it, it'll be available for other teams to use.

This is the changer I have:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d … mber=34542

John

As I suspected. Thanks for the reply's guys!!

Yeah baby!
#47 Impreza:  2009 Lamest Day; 3rd / 2010 Capital Offense; 4th (with a blown head gasket) / 2010 New England something or another; 60 somethingth, f'n wheel bearing / 2010 Lemons Fall South 77th out a 101 - all 10 feet shot off! Then there was Miami...

jad3675 wrote:

I'll be bringing my ghetto-tastic HF manual tire changer to the Lamest Day, along with some tire spoons.  It's not the quickest way to mount tires, but it does work.  As for balancing....eh, who needs balanced tires at the sledges anyways? 

As long as my team isn't using it, it'll be available for other teams to use.

This is the changer I have:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d … mber=34542

John

Just get one of those cheap cone-shaped balancers and a lot of pennies and bubble gum.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Nanker Phelge wrote:

Are there tire trucks, or guys with mounting and balancing equipment at Lemons Races... specifically the Lamest Day at Nelson Ledges?

We're looking to save $ on rims and still be able to bring adequate tires to run all 24 hrs (lol).

If you're running factory steel tires check www.car-part.com... or figure out a way to run cheap steels from Summit or Jegs...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Or just find a tire store near by, we had to do that our first race.  We don't even balance our rims anymore, we did for the first race and all the weights had fallen off 4 hours into the race.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

Just use airsoft pellets to bead balance the tires.

Aaron

1999 Astro (Green the Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 200k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy the $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 330k+ miles on the orig eng and trans, $30 eBay fuel pump