Topic: Finished a 4L60E rebuild, calm my mind!

It SEEMS like it works great. However, I do know for a fact that the friction band is a bit tight - I could wiggle it, but it was just shy of 3/16th to 1/8th of an inch that TransGo specified. More like 3/32th or something like that. It's one of those big fat super-wide bands, though, so it should wiggle less, it seems.

When I first started it up and ran it up on the jacks, the wheels sloooowly started turning in neutral. The torque transferred was so slight that I could just put my hand down on top of the wheel gently, and stop it, if the second wheel was down on the ground. The car didn't move forward at all in neutral when I took it off the jacks, even on a perfectly flat surface.

Sounds eerily quiet and runs AWESOME otherwise. Filled with a mix of D4 and D6 fluid (all I had handy). Has brand new everything inside, and a reman torque converter. All other clearances are within spec, assembled per ATSG manual, Transgo/Sonnax guides where appropriate, and bits of internet wisdom where needed.

Please tell me it's OK to drive it 450 miles down to CMP this Thursday as is... I really don't want to spend all night removing the gold shim from the apply piston assembly, but I will if it is necessary.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

K Car Stalker

Re: Finished a 4L60E rebuild, calm my mind!

Is the transition between up-shifts fluid (no flare or jerking)?  I wouldn't worry about the mild drag in neutral, it's pretty common on a fresh transmission.  The band will likely loose a few thousandths during break in anyway.  Go For It!

Let's make better mistakes tomorrow

Shifts great - quick but smooth. Haven't tried running it WOT yet, but at 3/4 and shifting at ~4K rpm it shifts like a well-programmed DSG box. No jerk, no tires breaking loose, just a firm "shpt!" and a near-instant gear change.  When you're gently driving along you can barely feel it shift. Not sure if that's due to the shift kit, but if it is, it was certainly worth the trouble.

I think I calmed down a bit smile Now I just need to find a bloody trailer...

K Car Stalker

It's fine. Idle drag is normal. Sounds like you got the assembly right. Run it!
The fast firm shifting is the kit.
Stock calibration is pretty slushy, we wouldn't want Grandma to spill her drink.
I believe the stock calibration has everything up to WOT take AT LEAST a second to complete a shift, erk.
Don't let it shift between 3rd and 4th under any real load in quick succession, not enough clutch cooling.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

It has a tow package option, meaning 3.08 gears; with the speed I'll be driving at, the engine should have enough reserve power to stay in 4th with TC locked up all the way. Oughtta beat the 65-mph-governed Penske truck we drove last time big_smile

K Car Stalker

Wohoooo! WE MADE IT!!!

Thank you Greene County Moving Company team for donating ATF - we hit traffic on 95 around 3AM and bled out a good amount through the leaky cooling line fitting, plus we were low from the very beginning. Those couple of quarts essentially got us home.

K Car Stalker