Topic: Wastefulness at the Pull-A-Part

In preparing our LTD for the May CMP Race, I stumbled across a '77 Mercury Grand Marquis Brougham at the local Pull-A-Part.  We salvaged many useful items from this car.  I also took the grille- I thought it looked sharp, better than the Ford grille, and I figured it would bolt in.  Well, it turns out the Mercury's grill opening was different, so the grill wouldn't fit.  Since the Pull-A-Part has a 30 day return policy, I took the grille back yesterday, and they refunded my $21.  I started to tell them from what car the grille was from, and the counter man said "Don't worry, we'll just trash it."  I looked at the doomed grille.  I thought of some Mercury owner, somewhere, who might want it.  I walked out $21 to the better, and the world one Mercury grille poorer.

I guess I should've sold it on eBay.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

2 (edited by pennintj 2011-06-01 01:50 PM)

Re: Wastefulness at the Pull-A-Part

mechimike wrote:

In preparing our LTD for the May CMP Race, I stumbled across a '77 Mercury Grand Marquis Brougham at the local Pull-A-Part.  We salvaged many useful items from this car.  I also took the grille- I thought it looked sharp, better than the Ford grille, and I figured it would bolt in.  Well, it turns out the Mercury's grill opening was different, so the grill wouldn't fit.  Since the Pull-A-Part has a 30 day return policy, I took the grille back yesterday, and they refunded my $21.  I started to tell them from what car the grille was from, and the counter man said "Don't worry, we'll just trash it."  I looked at the doomed grille.  I thought of some Mercury owner, somewhere, who might want it.  I walked out $21 to the better, and the world one Mercury grille poorer.

I guess I should've sold it on eBay.

Random encounter at the Pull-A-Part Monday (I was hunting Mercedes parts...)

Random Guy: "Why the f*ck do they put the car down on the rear bumper on top of the rims?!!?! I can't get the damn bumper off without a forklift, and then I've got to heat the plastic to pull the warp out of it. If they'd put the damn thing down on top of the frame rail instead it'd be more stable and wouldn't f*ck up the one part I need on this car!!!"

Me: Well, since they're just waiting to crush it so they can get scrap steel prices, they kinda don't give a f*ck.

Yeah, I need to start bringing beers to the Pull-A-Part. I think they'd frown on the picnic in the large open area in the middle though...

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom