Topic: The General Stupidity of the Human Race Continues to Rise Unabated

I have a '79 Mercedes 300D listed on Craigslist.  $500 - clearly labeled PARTS CAR in the ad.  Also, clearly stated, "no lowball offers" and "Please Call".

So what do I get? 

-Emails.  Mostly scams.
-Offers for less than scrap value
-One guy who tried to lowball me AND asked if it had a catalytic converter (its a diesel, dumbass)
-One fellow who drove all the way to my house this morning, willing to pay $500, only to find out it doesn't have a catalytic converter (again, diesel, dumbass) and drove home without it, wasting 2 hours of his time and 70 miles worth of gas. 

There needs to be a minimum intelligence level required to use the Internet.  Maybe a test, and licensing requirements.  *facepalm*

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Re: The General Stupidity of the Human Race Continues to Rise Unabated

mechimike wrote:

I have a '79 Mercedes 300D listed on Craigslist.  $500 - clearly labeled PARTS CAR in the ad.  Also, clearly stated, "no lowball offers" and "Please Call".

So what do I get?    -Emails.

No offense Mike, but this is the main reason I don't use CL.  People use an electronic media outlet to place an ad that says "Please call".  That is like placing an ad in the newspaper that says "Please e-mail".

I prefer e-mail over phone calls if dfor no reason than everything that is said and agreed upon is in writing.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Yeah, easier to dig through stupid emails.

In addition I think $500 is most likely less than scrap value as well.

Daniel Sycks

Invent something that's idiot proof and they'll create a better idiot.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

dsycks wrote:

Last I checked, scrap was running $250/ton.  Of course, if these people are inventive they'll take out the cat, radiator, and anything aluminum//copper/etc and sell it off separately.  And since all they know is scrap, that's probably why they ask about the catalytic converter on a diesel car.  And that kinda pisses me off. 

Its easier to dig through stupid emails, but its also easier to email than to make a phone call.  I'm considering taking the email option out altogether and forcing them to call if interested.  If someone's going to make a lowball offer, they're probably less likely to do it via a phone call.  On the other side of the coin, if someone is genuinely interested in the car, they'll take the time to make a phone call.

I have seen CL ads with only a phone number.  Conversely, I've seen newspaper ads with emails.  I don't think there's anything wrong with crossing types of electronic media.  In the end, you're going to have to deal face-to-face.  Email is just a way to hide behind your computer screen and be an idiot.  I'd rather deal with 2 or 3 phone calls from interested parties than 100 emails from jackasses wanting to smelt down the car and pay me peanuts for it. 

We are cursed to live in interesting times.  But $300 in cash waved in front of my face isn't going to get me to sell you my car.  $300 doesn't buy me and my fiance groceries for a month.

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

mechimike wrote:

I'm considering taking the email option out altogether and forcing them to call if interested.  If someone's going to make a lowball offer, they're probably less likely to do it via a phone call.  On the other side of the coin, if someone is genuinely interested in the car, they'll take the time to make a phone call..

My opinion is that if some idiot e-mails me I can simply press delete for things so stupid they don't deserve a response.  To each his own.

Captain

mechimike wrote:

So what do I get? 

-Emails.  Mostly scams.
-One guy who tried to lowball me AND asked if it had a catalytic converter (its a diesel, dumbass)
-One fellow who drove all the way to my house this morning, willing to pay $500, only to find out it doesn't have a catalytic converter (again, diesel, dumbass) and drove home without it, wasting 2 hours of his time and 70 miles worth of gas. 

There needs to be a minimum intelligence level required to use the Internet.  Maybe a test, and licensing requirements.  *facepalm*

How's the engine? If the 'Lude ends up being too small (how the eff do you fit/pass a cage through tech in a Honda Freekin' Prelude?) we may have to resort to Plan B, which entails putting an engine in my '79 300D Carcass and caging it uber-fast.

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

When I was buying tow-away cars at the San Francisco City Tow auctions and selling them on CL, I had a policy of telling all potential buyers to meet me at the same time/place. I'd have up to a half-dozen lined up for an appointment and never once did I have two show up at once. The flake rate for car-viewing appointments for CL buyers is about 95%.

Then there's the impossibility of getting important info about the car for sale across to potential buyers. The worst is the automatic-vs-manual issue. I actually made an animated GIF of a hand operating a manual shifter and another animated GIF of a foot operating a clutch, with huge red text reading "STICK SHIFT - MANUAL - NOT AN AUTOMATIC" across the tops and bottoms of CL listings for manual-trans cars and I still had people show up to see the car and stomp away in a rage after discovering that it wasn't an automatic.

mechimike wrote:
dsycks wrote:

Last I checked, scrap was running $250/ton.  Of course, if these people are inventive they'll take out the cat, radiator, and anything aluminum//copper/etc and sell it off separately.  And since all they know is scrap, that's probably why they ask about the catalytic converter on a diesel car.  And that kinda pisses me off.

sinc U gonna scrap can U give me catalytic convert an radiator

any pics

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Judge Phil wrote:

Then there's the impossibility of getting important info about the car for sale across to potential buyers. The worst is the automatic-vs-manual issue. I actually made an animated GIF of a hand operating a manual shifter and another animated GIF of a foot operating a clutch, with huge red text reading "STICK SHIFT - MANUAL - NOT AN AUTOMATIC" across the tops and bottoms of CL listings for manual-trans cars and I still had people show up to see the car and stomp away in a rage after discovering that it wasn't an automatic.

This pisses me off the other way too.  95% of the CL ads don't give any details that a potential buyer actually cares about.  They have two paragraphs of useless info about what car they bought to replace the one they are selling, but they aren't smart enough to list the engine, transmission, or general condition of the vehicle they are selling.  They take one picture from 50 feet away and assume that tells the story.  Eventually I figured out that any ad that doesn't list the type of transmission is a 100% guarantee that it's an auto.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

"Sparky" Pete wrote:
mechimike wrote:
dsycks wrote:

sinc U gonna scrap can U give me catalytic convert an radiator

any pics

F-U!!!!

pennintj wrote:
mechimike wrote:

So what do I get? 

-Emails.  Mostly scams.

How's the engine? If the 'Lude ends up being too small (how the eff do you fit/pass a cage through tech in a Honda Freekin' Prelude?) we may have to resort to Plan B, which entails putting an engine in my '79 300D Carcass and caging it uber-fast.

-=Tom

The engine exists.  However, it does not run when fuel is applied to it.  However, it will spin when power is applied to the starter.  Also, the transmission is not in the place it used to reside.  It is in the trunk.  It, too, does not function correctly.  However, the body is arrow straight and mostly complete, save the few parts I've sold off it.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/2439415413.html

Jeff G 78 wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

This pisses me off the other way too.  95% of the CL ads don't give any details that a potential buyer actually cares about.  They have two paragraphs of useless info about what car they bought to replace the one they are selling, but they aren't smart enough to list the engine, transmission, or general condition of the vehicle they are selling.  They take one picture from 50 feet away and assume that tells the story.  Eventually I figured out that any ad that doesn't list the type of transmission is a 100% guarantee that it's an auto.

I went to look at a Serro Scotty camper last night.  The camper looked all right in the ad, nothing glaringly deal-breaking.  So I meet the guy at a gas station where he towed the camper to, go inside the camper, and the interior ceiling is falling down- water had leaked through and the whole celing was collapsing.  "Uh, you never mentioned the roof leaks in the ad."  I guess I should have asked.

mechimike wrote:

The engine exists.  However, it does not run when fuel is applied to it.  However, it will spin when power is applied to the starter.  Also, the transmission is not in the place it used to reside.  It is in the trunk.  It, too, does not function correctly.  However, the body is arrow straight and mostly complete, save the few parts I've sold off it.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/2439415413.html

Pass then. I don't have room for another Merc hulk in the basement with the Val acquisition. Stick it on one of the Mercedes W123 forums like Peach Parts or the like as a parts car, someone will snag it.

Craigslist is all but useless these days for selling.

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

15 (edited by RogueLeader 2011-06-16 10:25 AM)

Judge Phil wrote:

When I was buying tow-away cars at the San Francisco City Tow auctions and selling them on CL, I had a policy of telling all potential buyers to meet me at the same time/place. I'd have up to a half-dozen lined up for an appointment and never once did I have two show up at once. The flake rate for car-viewing appointments for CL buyers is about 95%.

This reminds me of when my friend was selling a 1990 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350, with pictures  even.  People called him up asking if it was a 4 door. And then got bent out of shape when he told them this was probably not the kind of car they were looking for.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

RogueLeader wrote:

This reminds me of when my friend was selling a 1990 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350, with pictures  even.  People called him up asking if it was a 4 door. And then got bent out of shape when he told them this was probably not the kind of car they were looking for.

That level of stupid shouldn't be allowed to own a car. 

This reminds of when I go to the parts store to get an oil filter for my '06 Mustang GT and the guy behind the counter asks "Is that a V6 or a V8?"

Captain

17 (edited by pennintj 2011-06-16 11:23 AM)

VKZ24 wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

This reminds me of when my friend leased a new Mercedes with parking assist, collision avoidance, that bullshit that keeps you awake when it thinks your eye blink count is too low/high, and hands-free cellphone & wi-fi integration in the dash.....

That level of stupid shouldn't be allowed to own, lease, or even drive a car.

Here, let me fix that for y'all. tongue

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

I've been trying to sell a set of vintage Appliance 4-lug bolt-on wire wheels for over 2 years I picked up at a local swap meet. Came off of a Datsun 510 and did not fit either my Datsun or MGBs the way I like. They also use a strange 2-piece lug-nut set specific to these wheels, an early version of Unilugs I remember people talking about way back in the 70's.

The inner parts are adapters that screw on to each stud and adjust the lug spacing depending on what pattern you have. Arrows pointed "in" for small, arrows pointed "out" for big. The 2nd outer pieces actually hold the wheel on, and give the appearance of normal lug nuts. (Bizarre)

Because of this, they are rarer than hen's teeth and these will only fit cars with 7/16th studs. Which means I gotta find just the right buyer and it is like the needle in a haystack.

The LEAST stupid response I've gotten was from some guy wanting to know if they fit a 50's Chevy Bel Air.

"4-lugs dude." "Oh".

It went down hill from there.

I got a bunch of Triumph folks wanting to know if they fit a Spitfire. Not a clue I say, bring your car over and we'll try it. No response. Over and over for months every time I posted the ad I got the same questions from the same damn email addresses.

Finally one guy shows up, we test fit them and low & behold not even close. I ask if he knew why I was getting so many Spitfire responders every time I post MGB stuff for sale, and he says "we search for MGBs because they all use the same parts".

WHAT? NOT! EVEN! CLOSE! (facepalm) (FYI, some late Midgets & Spits share a few things, but a "B" is an entirely different species)

So I repost it saying "Will NOT fit a Spitfire. NOT. NO WAY. DON'T ASK". And of course I get flooded with excited Spitfire guys.

After automatically deleting the ones that say "for my Spitfire" I've had half a dozen guys slip through the weeding process and show up to look at them, and after wasting my time talking about Hondas, MGs, Datsuns and Toyotas they inevitably ask "So, do they fit a Spitfire?"

You know, I've never really bought into the whole car A -vs- car B thing, especially the odd MG -vs- Triumph hatred (I like all horrible crap), but in this case I can kinda see it.

Also, every ad I've ever posted, someone ALWAYS reponds "any pics" even though I always include them on the ad. Not one person who has asked for pics has EVER bought anything. As a test I've offered them better pics of anything they want, or tried to engage them and not one has responded back.

Verdict: Picture collectors and anything Spitfire are automatic red-flags and the work of the devil: immediate delete.

IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

I'm about done with CL after listing a truck up for sale.

If you want to offer me less thsan my asking price, cool. I figure it is going to be a negotiation anywho, so offer away. But I only accept cash, so my "cash price" is already listed. I don't offer financing, nor take chockens, goats, livestock or wompom.

If you want to meet up to look at it, come on. I'm not going to wait in a shady part of town for you for an hour. I'm selling it in an area where I feel safe, its my choice. End rant.

And if anyone is interested, I have a hell of a tow rig cheap!

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

not all craiglist idiots are adults. I assume plenty of "I just got my permit and need a bitchin' car to pick up girls as soon as my acne clears up" is the problem. My youngest cousin turns 16 in a few months, and he's been trolling the ads for a 300 mile radius for a year. Fortunately, he is kind of responsible, but mostly shy, and doesn't harass the poor CL sellers with "does that chevelle SS have a hemi, or 5.0?" questions. I try to point him in a direction that doesn't involve lowering the property value of his parents home, and/or result in a SBC hanging from a tree limb in the front yard, and a camaro on cinderblocks beside the garage, but I fear my advice might lead him down a much darker path. yugos, and corvairs, and international double cabs, and a half dozen engineless A1 chassis VWs... I'm a horrible role model.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

I have had both good and bad luck with CraigsList, both as a buyer and as a seller.   My biggest complaint is the people who say they will show up but never do.   I was trying to sell a good American-made engine hoist for less than a Harbor Freight one (a friend had died and I was helping his family dispose of his stuff).   The first day, three different guys promised to show up with cash, but not a single one did.

But on another sale of the same guy's stuff, I advertised furniture and a huge load of model airplane stuff, and everything was sold in a few hours.

On the buying side, I saw an ad for a "jumping jack" dirt compactor that I needed.   I called the guy and made an appointment for the next morning.   I showed up, he demonstrated that it worked, I handed him the cash, he helped me load it, and we were done.

But just yesterday, I responded (e-mail) to an ad for a garage for rent, asking if it was still available.   Still no response after 24 hours.

I guess the answer is "It depends".   Some people are good, honest, dependable people, and others are not.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

tSoG wrote:

I try to point him in a direction that doesn't involve lowering the property value of his parents home, and/or result in a SBC hanging from a tree limb in the front yard, and a camaro on cinderblocks beside the garage...I'm a horrible role model.

yes. Yes you are.

(working on lemon on a city sidewalk on a busy street)

There is no test or other requirements for parenthood, so unfortunately I doubt they'll initiate any new program.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

A few years back the transmission in my wife's Lumina crapped out and replacing it would have required dropping the whole engine/transmission/subframe. I put it on craigslist for a measly non-negotiable $300 and had one guy who kept calling me back with low-ball offers. After two weeks he finally got frustrated and said, "You're never going to sell it at that price." The next day I got a call from a body shop asking if the front clip was good. They came out, looked, paid, and hauled it off. I had to be patient, but it sold.

When we were building the Jaggernaut I posted parts for sale on the jag-lovers forum, specifically stating we were keeping the wheels. I got two emails asking to buy the wheels and two emails offering to sell me wire wheels.

When I sold my '81 Camaro I lived on a busy street corner. I just put a For Sale sign in the window and a page telling the parts that went with it. For six months I had an average of one flake a month promising to come back with cash to buy it. Finally a husband and wife who had been looking for one stopped by. Mine was the first they'd seen that didn't have bondo in the rear quarters. I sold it with no engine or transmission for $800.

Still trying to sell my '69 Cadillac. Three tries on CL with no replies, not even flakes. Shown it off to a few acquaintances who've inquired if it's for sale. The $3000 asking price for a well-built engine with a rusting body around it drives most people away. Still, I have patience.