1 (edited by YesIFit 2009-10-20 11:19 AM)

Topic: e36's

Now that the 2010 schedule is out and the next round of car searching has begun, I am finding out that it is actually possible to get e36's in the sub-$800 range, leaving only $300 worth of parts to be sold to make it a $500 car.

I know that Matt Groner (he of Enzo fame) ran a slavaged one in March and got a 100 lap BS penalty. At what point are they going to begin to be quasi-acceptable (or believeable) as $500 cars? I know as recently as last month the Hon. Judge Martin said not to bring one (in the post about the salvaged e36 M3 in LA).

I know that there's a plethora of other options out there, but inquiring minds want to know ... especially those of us over 6'8" who fit better in newer/bigger cars.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Re: e36's

YesIFit wrote:

I know that there's a plethora of other options out there, but inquiring minds want to know ... especially those of us over 6'8" who fit better in newer/bigger cars.

Hey, I'm 6'8", too. That's why I'm looking at minivans.

I'm 6'3 and a Miata is about the smallest I can get into and be comfortable.

I hear ya. I'm 6'9", and it's a struggle to fit in the e24 we're bringing to Houston. Pretty much all Japanese cars are off the radar for me. (I can squeeze into the Fist of Norris/Ritual Killing 200SX, but it's not uber-comfortable for me.)

E30's are a tight squeeze, but I don't wan't to be "Noch Einer Scheiß-E30!" Hence the E36 question...

Oh, and yes, I have been trying and trying to find a driveable El Camino or Ranchero...

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

We will be bringing an E36 to the Houston race this weekend, and it is a legitimate sub 500 car.  it was a wrecked piece of junk that was not running when we got it, but that is another story.

I noticed there is another E36 in the field as well.

From the pics of the recent lamest day race it looked like there was an E36 that only got 25 penalty laps. 

We are hoping the judges will appreciate the saga of our car and our theme and will not punish us just for driving a certain make and model.  But only time will tell.

I've seen a few cheap E36s but they are rare.  I consider a 318 an E-turdy-6 same for a straight E-turdy.

Most E36's within Lemons range have more serious mechanical problems or they're wrecked.

After IKE there was a storm damaged one for like $700.  Minor dents and broken back glass.  Totally Lemons potential.

The first car I ever took to the track was a 92 325I stock 4 door 5 speed and it was a great track car.  If you can get one it would be a great Crap Can racer.

Regarding the Judges, have fun.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Well, since an E36 is the only car in the world that fits tall guys, we'll take that into account.

8 (edited by YesIFit 2009-10-21 05:22 AM)

Exxx-cell-ent....

Actually, the guy who's selling it no-showed, so it's off to find another contender!

Now, where's that CL add I saw for the 450sel 6.9 for under $500?

What is the font/type-color for sarcasm... 'cause I think you just missed a whole heapin' spoonful. big_smile

No, I got it. Hence the Mr. Burns reply about finding a $500 450sel 6.9 ...

I've seen 6.9s for pretty close to $500. You can definitely get one for under a grand.

12 (edited by YesIFit 2009-10-22 12:35 PM)

Mmmm ... W116 6.9.

Well, I'm off to make sure that the e24 is ready for tomorrow, and that we have sufficient judge bribing material. (Since we're in Texas, I was thinking Tito's?)

There was an E36 325 at Nelson Ledges.  I wasn't impressed- our POS 325E could hang with it.  And that ain't saying much because our engine ran like shit and our car handled like ass

Kevin

KTL wrote:

There was an E36 325 at Nelson Ledges.  I wasn't impressed- our POS 325E could hang with it.  And that ain't saying much because our engine ran like shit and our car handled like ass

well gosh, imagine that.  a 1900 pound E30 can hang with a 2700 pound E36.  the only advantage a E36 will ever have will be reliability over the course of an endurance race.  i patiently await the day when a E36 is just another Lemons car.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

soldmystang wrote:
KTL wrote:

well gosh, imagine that.  a 1900 pound E30 can hang with a 2700 pound E36.  the only advantage a E36 will ever have will be reliability over the course of an endurance race.  i patiently await the day when a E36 is just another Lemons car.

thanks for the education and sorry to offend.  apparently their reliability is some sort of LIABILITY in this instance since they didn't  finish ahead of our 29th place turd (instead of finishing 72nd)

curb weight of a 325E is listed at 2650, 2750.  no way we lost 750 lbs stripping/equipping it for Lemons.  i'd like to see that 800 lbs in a pile to see where all the excess is coming from.  try the difference is more like 400-500 between the two, not 800

well gosh I guess I wasn't clear enough.  our car ran like TOTAL shit and handled like COMPLETE ass (248K miles of age with little regard for maintenance will do that), whereas the e36 sounded fairly good and looked composed riding side by side with it for a few laps before i finally got by- the E36 was impressively loud and I was glad to get by.  our effectively sub-100HP engine with a 1500 rpm powerband should have been pulled by the E36 no problemo.   either the driver of the 36 was a puss or their car had an equally shittay running engine under the hood?  smile

Kevin

KTL wrote:
soldmystang wrote:
KTL wrote:

thanks for the education and sorry to offend.  apparently their reliability is some sort of LIABILITY in this instance since they didn't  finish ahead of our 29th place turd (instead of finishing 72nd)

curb weight of a 325E is listed at 2650, 2750.  no way we lost 750 lbs stripping/equipping it for Lemons.  i'd like to see that 800 lbs in a pile to see where all the excess is coming from.  try the difference is more like 400-500 between the two, not 800

well gosh I guess I wasn't clear enough.  our car ran like TOTAL shit and handled like COMPLETE ass (248K miles of age with little regard for maintenance will do that), whereas the e36 sounded fairly good and looked composed riding side by side with it for a few laps before i finally got by- the E36 was impressively loud and I was glad to get by.  our effectively sub-100HP engine with a 1500 rpm powerband should have been pulled by the E36 no problemo.   either the driver of the 36 was a puss or their car had an equally shittay running engine under the hood?  smile

i vote for wuss driver.  but if it was loud that might be an issue also.  e36s love back pressure.

i'll agree 450/500 pounds is more likely the difference between the two cars.  but i still think once the glass is out of an e30 it weighs sub 2100 pounds.

an e36 will suffer in Lemons vs an e30 due to the tight short courses.  besides the weight advantage, an e30 is much more tossable than an e36.

however, i still say over the course of an endurance race, the e36 will fare better.  timing chain, hydraulic valve train, sensible rear suspension design, larger wider tire selections etc etc.

it's gonna be a long long time before we see mass entries of e36s i guess. sad

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

E36s make GREAT Lemons cars... from our perspective.

I mean, all that power and handling will easily overcome any 50 lap BULLSHIT penalty we slap you with.

Come on tall guys, you can do it!

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Our 6'5" driver had plenty of head room in our 1987 CRX.  Put a race seat in, mounted close to the floor, and almost any car will fit you.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

we  had the e-36 @ nelsons  and the car had  a blown head  gasket. we were also running  junkyard tires that  didnt match  and  our team is comprised of 5 non-racers.   this was our 2nd race   we had  a blast and the  car is still running with  bar leaks head gasket  we will get faster our fastest lap time was not too shabby  but the car was all over the  place in the turns were it should have been good . we didnt spend any time with the suspension just  made sur it would hold together  we did have  a blast  and  are already getting ready for  cmp and summit

All drivers over 6'6 must be forced to drive these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6e/4th_Cadillac_Eldorado_--_10-30-2009.jpg/800px-4th_Cadillac_Eldorado_--_10-30-2009.jpg

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e8/BMW-740iL.jpg/800px-BMW-740iL.jpg

Hey, tall guys, here's your car! You can get 735s for chicken feed these days!

I'm learning to respect the Gurney Bubble...

Well i am 6.4 and 300+ lbs and i fit just fine in a jaguar XJS and a Mercedes and a Pontiac and a Ford and a Chevy and a Toyota and a Nissan. Pretty much if you are putting in a race seat you can fit in anything,, Hell i even git in a 93 RX-7 with a few mods on the floor and a 1st Gen RX-7 and  BMW and a few other cars. If you need a  BMW chassis for cheep i have a few sitting outside the shop in the shop in the i would never run in Lemons because the Judges would kill me pile if you want one..

Pen De Ho
Lemme pronounce it for you

PEN   DE  HO

Actually, I'm going to look at an e28 this weekend...

25 (edited by Stevo 2009-11-12 09:12 AM)

We nearly bought a rusted out e28.  Prolly should have.  Instead, we got an MR2 and cut the top off of it.   The cage is a bit taller than the original roof line.  Hella fun, but you can't drive it w/o your visor down, and I don't have to tell you that rainy days suck.

Oh, I'm 6'8".  I think I met you at Houston.  We were driving a buddy's different (mostly unmolested) MR2.