Topic: Officially Done-To-Death Themes, Part CVII: Gulf Oil GT40

This may be the most done-to-death Lemons theme, though it's possible that we've seen more General Lees than Gulfmobiles (I was able to find five different ones without even trying, and there are many more). In any case, stop it. Just stop.

Nick has a great idea: paint your car in the color scheme of the last-place car at the '68 24 Hours of Le Mans. It was a GT40, too! Much more appropriate for Lemons.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/02/donetodeath-gulf-01-800px.jpg
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/02/donetodeath-gulf-02-800px.jpg
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/02/donetodeath-gulf-04-800px.jpg
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/02/donetodeath-gulf-05-800px.jpg
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/02/donetodeath-gulf-06-800px.jpg

Re: Officially Done-To-Death Themes, Part CVII: Gulf Oil GT40

Yeah, but its nice looking at least.. Not like those losers that just paint obscenities on their car.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Nick has a great idea: paint your car in the color scheme of the last-place car at the '68 24 Hours of Le Mans. It was a GT40, too! Much more appropriate for Lemons.

after reading up on that, i'm not sure i'd want to.  in order to get the theme accurate, does the driver's door have to open at speed, or will you overlook that part

I think that might be a critical part of the theme. You are supposed to have door bars in your cage for a reason.....

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

paging trekkor

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

paging trekkor

Agreed!  trekkor, the time has come.  Your car is right.  Use the theme I suggested to you.

Aaron

1999 Astro (Green the Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 200k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy the $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 330k+ miles on the orig eng and trans, $30 eBay fuel pump

After Sears, we'll let go of the Gulf theme....

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

On second thought...

Who knows?

Several teams continue to run race after race with no theme change.
( dent removal is not a theme change, right )  smile

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

There's a Gulf-themed 914 showing up at Infineon. In this case, however, the paint job is appropriate. You will see why.

May I have peek...Or some more hints, please? smile

KT

How about a thread for Would-Like-To-See Themes? smile

LuckyTopher wrote:

Kiss ass

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:
LuckyTopher wrote:

Kiss ass

Uh, we had the Jay Lamb e30

Nuff said.

trekkor wrote:

( dent removal is not a theme change, right )

Perhaps if it's sufficiently awesome:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=2852

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I keep saying that we'd love to see a Liberace theme, complete with fully rhinestoned-out car and the team wearing 100-pound bling-heavy cloaks, but nobody seems to take that one seriously. Come on, candelabras on the hood!

MurileeMartin wrote:

I keep saying that we'd love to see a Liberace theme, complete with fully rhinestoned-out car and the team wearing 100-pound bling-heavy cloaks, but nobody seems to take that one seriously. Come on, candelabras on the hood!

I believe over Tequila and pizza you also mentioned that similar, yet different, Team Gay would be pretty awesome...

Of course I believe over Tequila and pizza, everything is pretty awesome..

E30's should all go up in flames...

SRSBSNS wrote:

I believe over Tequila and pizza you also mentioned that similar, yet different, Team Gay would be pretty awesome...

Aren't there enough Miatas?

Liberace's rhinestone encrusted Excalibur is the best way to be absolutely fabulous.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I like the Gulf theme.

After Sears Pointless, we will be legendary...Just wait!

KT

Team Flamboyantly Gay would also be great, especially in Texas.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Custom made for a miata.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

LuckyTopher wrote:
Riktor wrote:
LuckyTopher wrote:

Kiss ass

Nuff said.

Touche... nice pick but why wasn't it on the track?

MurileeMartin wrote:

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/ambig_gay_penis_mobile.jpg

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

I actually wanted to do Ambiguously Gay Duo, but two of our drivers would just be left out.

My next them will have to be Village People.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Riktor wrote:
LuckyTopher wrote:
Riktor wrote:

Kiss ass

Nuff said.

MurileeMartin wrote:

It was on the track... for 90% of saturday... it blew up after that... it couldn't take 3 full Lemons races apparently... but it'll be back for the next race.

E30's should all go up in flames...

SRSBSNS wrote:
Riktor wrote:
LuckyTopher wrote:

Nuff said.

MurileeMartin wrote:

It was on the track... for 90% of saturday... it blew up after that... it couldn't take 3 full Lemons races apparently... but it'll be back for the next race.

Excellent... I would like to see how it pits against our creation. Bring a spare engine...

Sons of STIG

SRSBSNS wrote:

I can confirm that. And the photo of Jay Lamb on the rear license plate valence didn't earn them any mercy in the penalty box, either. Cheers guys, see you at Eagles Canyon.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.