Re: Another Lemons class?

rb92673 wrote:

Nothing is wrong with making your own race within a race.  Make your own classes with your own trophies.

I think this has been done at least once. One team had a bunch of cars and brought a prize/trophy for the car that finished best in their group. There was a sub-2.0L class/race going around at one time.

I don't see them changing any time soon either, but I am okay with it,

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

rb92673 wrote:

Nothing is wrong with making your own race within a race. Make your own classes with your own trophies.

I don't see Jay changing the A, B & C classing that has worked for over a decade.

100 Percent This. Last weekend, the Cordoba and the Bluesmobile had a friendly wager that went down to the wire. The Cordoba won by three laps, they finished 52nd and the Bluesmobile 53rd.

The Volkswagen Cup that the VW teams in the Midwest used to put together always came down to the last hour. There was also a T5 Trophy in the Midwest for a few years with a trophy made from broken T5 parts.

There was a Ford Four-Banger Trophy for a couple years when I was racing eons ago. The Alex's Lemonade Stand had an over/under 2.0L class with a donation to buy in.

Find the teams running a particular displacement, a model, a part, or from a particular region even. Throw them together and you suddenly have a couple of things to race for if you care enough to put in your effort.

If you want to set all that stuff yourself ahead of time, shoot me an email and I can help you get in contact with other teams running that car/make/whatever.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

Nothing is wrong with making your own race within a race. Make your own classes with your own trophies.

I don't see Jay changing the A, B & C classing that has worked for over a decade.

100 Percent This. Last weekend, the Cordoba and the Bluesmobile had a friendly wager that went down to the wire. The Cordoba won by three laps, they finished 52nd and the Bluesmobile 53rd.

The Volkswagen Cup that the VW teams in the Midwest used to put together always came down to the last hour. There was also a T5 Trophy in the Midwest for a few years with a trophy made from broken T5 parts.

There was a Ford Four-Banger Trophy for a couple years when I was racing eons ago. The Alex's Lemonade Stand had an over/under 2.0L class with a donation to buy in.

Find the teams running a particular displacement, a model, a part, or from a particular region even. Throw them together and you suddenly have a couple of things to race for if you care enough to put in your effort.

If you want to set all that stuff yourself ahead of time, shoot me an email and I can help you get in contact with other teams running that car/make/whatever.

Besides, this is an excellent way to stick it to the man keeping us down and their fancy car classifications.  Rood did you ever think you would be 'the man'?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

29 (edited by SwarlesInCharge 2022-06-16 02:03 AM)

Guildenstern wrote:

I believe that's just Class C.

I think the loop hole is for a turbo one, and other cars are allowed in without Dukes. But not enough people are using this engineering marvel - I just wish I could have access to our Cutlass again.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Duke & Diesel class

lol that'd be great.

rb92673 wrote:

Nothing is wrong with making your own race within a race.  Make your own classes with your own trophies.

True, I remember the Geo challenge or whatnot a few years back at Autobahn with the Jurassic Park one against one or two others. Good stuff.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

SwarlesInCharge wrote:
MZAVARIN wrote:

Actually, I'd like to see a "Double Digit Horsepower" class in Lemons:
Bring whatever car you want with any engine in it, as long as the engine was rated at less than 100 HP out of the factory..

Iron Duke class. Everything is allowed, but has to be Duked up.

Miata? Sure.
E30? Sure.
C6 Vette? Sure.

Sorry, we have already started the Chrysler flathead class in the Midwest...you are not stealing our idea.

Wait:  "Who's Zoomin' Who?"

In the Rules, there are 6 Classes (1.5 Winners and Prizes) listed, each of which comes with monetary value.

Notably, even 'Organizer's Choice' isn't listed as a Class; much less 'Heroic Fix' or 'I Got Screwed', followed by all the others... and these are recognized for years.

March 2012 at Sonoma, there was a Moper Cup listed on the Results page; I think all of these are merely

"Derivations on a Theme" ...

so I think your characterization of:

'stealing our idea'

is reminiscent of:

"Can't Touch This" ;-)

"Do You Know What I Mean?"

so maybe there should be an IOE class?

But in general, the best solution is:

Big Man Jay is probably just sayin"; if you don't like my freakin' classing system, trophies, prizes, then go make your own effin trophies, classes, and prizes...!!

So no reason not to just make my own class (KISS ?engine must have been manufactured at least 35 years ago in anything you want...), learn to weld and make some of the old fashioned trophies form the bins of car parts in my garage, and maybe have a sign in cost of $20 to make a prize....voila!

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

There used to be a 4th class (X) and it was hugely unpopular.  It was for cars like the MetroGnome, Eyesore Miata, Model T GT, etc.  It lasted barely 1 year and got binned.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

SwarlesInCharge wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

I think the loop hole is for a turbo one, and other cars are allowed in without Dukes. But not enough people are using this engineering marvel - I just wish I could have access to our Cutlass again.

Maybe it's just living in the land of salt and rust, But Where the hell is anyone FINDING an Iron Duke anymore?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

35 (edited by SwarlesInCharge 2022-06-18 10:16 AM)

Guildenstern wrote:
SwarlesInCharge wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Maybe it's just living in the land of salt and rust, But Where the hell is anyone FINDING an Iron Duke anymore?

Eh, I think it has basically just become a meme at this point and was mostly in jest. But ours was in the original team captain's grandpa-hand-me-down HS beater. I'm sure the community could find a new king of the low hp engines. Maybe the LV7 from a Chevy Spark.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

SwarlesInCharge wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:
SwarlesInCharge wrote:

Eh, I think it has basically just become a meme at this point and was mostly in jest. But ours was in the original team captain's grandpa-hand-me-down HS beater. I'm sure the community could find a new king of the low hp engines. Maybe the LV7 from a Chevy Spark.

WE in the Midwest are trying to Chrysler flathead 6 swap all things...especially 1990's pony cars.  We have not found a suitable Chrysler product to put one in yet (ironic) but will keep looking.

We Slant 6ers are a pretty tight-knit group. Whenever we have two Slanted cars in the same race we have a friendly rivalry.

Escape Velocity and The Resistance have a trophy for the losers that gets passed back and forth. The loser has to take it home and weld some broken parts to it. It's pretty unwieldy at this point.

Off-Kilter Racing has been up against Escape Velocity in their turbo 64 Dart at Sebring and CMP so far. We are 1 and 1 now, so they challenged us to the same trophy idea going forward.

We keep hoping to have 3,4, or even 5 Slant 6 cars at the same event, but so far we've only been able to get two stars to align at a time...

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)

OnkelUdo wrote:

WE in the Midwest are trying to Chrysler flathead 6 swap all things...especially 1990's pony cars.  We have not found a suitable Chrysler product to put one in yet (ironic) but will keep looking.

I've got a '56 Mercedes in KY you can have. It's somewhat related to Chrysler... sort of... I was gonna put a 4 banger out of a Dodge Colt in it, but my '59 Studebaker Silver Hawk/Hemi scheme is gonna take precedence over that one.

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)

OnkelUdo wrote:
SwarlesInCharge wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Prowler.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport