Topic: Old school vs new school for newbs?

Hey everyone. First post here.

I’m planning on getting a team together for the ‘24 season. I plan on trying some arrive and drive events before actually fielding our team. We’re located in Carrollton GA, west of Atlanta. I grew up around Helen Georgia and cut my teeth on mountain roads and SCCA autocross. Now called Solo something something. I’ve got almost 11 years of sobriety and have to spend my money on something other than alcohol. (Unless it’s E85!)

So right now we’re all excited about finding a shitty beater to serve as the main source of frustrations for the foreseeable future. I’m kinda split between finding something newer vs running some older iron. The concern I have with newer cars is the electronics. Specifically relays, wiring, engine management. The concern with older iron is handling, reliability, and lack of power. Unless we “find” that elusive 555 motor that fell off the back of the truck.

Specifically, rn our targets are a ‘87 Dodge Daytona Z, a ‘02 Neon, a 77 Grandprix, and a ‘72 marquis with a 429.

Any suggestions as far as what would be best for a team of guys with varying levels of wrenching skill?

Thanks, and I appreciate y’all’s time.

Re: Old school vs new school for newbs?

If going for just laps and enjoying the racing I would think Neon best bet. But if want to be dope than the other 3 are good options. Considering that they all in good running order. Neon probably be also cheapest in maintenance.
Electronics is not as big of an issue on modern cars past 1997...

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

The #1 suggestion on this forum regarding 'how to get started in Lemons' appears to be:

*** Buy a pre-raced car ***

I know that's not any of your targets, but it directly answers your question.

Going beyond that, some frequent suggestions (in no particular order here) are:

Build what you know.

Build what you would like or want to drive during a race.

Consider expected reliability for time on track vs. wrenching.

Consider the cost of consumables: brakes, tires, fuel, etc.

I think each of the additional suggestions have answers that are specific to each team.

If you want a character building experience, get the daytona....

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I would be wary of the computers in certain newer cars.  I have heard some won't work if you take out any of the security system such as door locks. Some go into limp mode. I know a certain Jaguar that is currently has a bricked ECU, because Jaguar.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Nobunaga wrote:

I’m planning on getting a team together for the ‘24 season....Any suggestions as far as what would be best for a team of guys with varying levels of wrenching skill?

If you want minimum effort and maximum time on the track, I'd find an already prepped and raced car that is reasonably reliable and cheap to run (think light, FWD, good parts availability, etc.), like this one: https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=41227

A consideration that may or may not be important to you is what class you end up in...for example, f you show up with a Miata or a 1975ish or newer BMW, you will almost certainly be in Class A, probably with penalty laps....which is fine if you are focused on just having fun and good racing.

That said, if you make some changes to the car, it is possible to get a Miata into the race with no penalty laps and maybe into Class C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB9_zQbc52g

Another way to go is to look at the wish list from the Lemons staff:

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=40957
https://24hoursoflemons.com/blog/wish-l … omination/

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

7 (edited by Nobunaga 2022-12-18 06:55 PM)

Thanks for the replies everyone! Especially The Engineer. After reading your tagline I quietly deleted the dodge turbo Z from contention.

That Honda is a screaming good deal. The reason we’re looking to build a car is in part to teach our kids wrenching. My buddies and I took the kids to the Petit Le Mans at road Atlanta this year. It’s an interesting feeling to see the kids eyes light up and listen to them talking about wrenching and cars like myself and their dads used to. For my part in this madness, I think dealing with the issues of fabrication, reading the rules, comprehending the rules, and learning to properly bend the rules will be a good experience. As well as teaching them about team communication, and commitment. As well as the satisfaction of working on a project and seeing that project come to fruition. If it was just gonna be me and my hermanos, an already prepped car would be ideal. Thanks for the suggestion and I’ll run by the others.

Just me asking has been beneficial tbh. Since we’re gonna have our kids helping and driving (ages 16-17 rn) I think a bigger, heavier car would be asking for trouble. That mass requires earlier braking and a softer touch unless you wanna end up in the outfield. Ditto anything that may be too fast. Slowing down from 150-160 is MUCH different than slowing down from 90-100!

rb92673 wrote:

I would be wary of the computers in certain newer cars.  I have heard some won't work if you take out any of the security system such as door locks. Some go into limp mode. I know a certain Jaguar that is currently has a bricked ECU, because Jaguar.

Hey now

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

rb92673 wrote:

modern cars and electronics are fun for sure, but not deal breaking. The trick is making sure you can get all the diagnostic tools to get around them. I'm sure Jag tools are expensive. Our Saab is a nightmare of interconnected electronics, we couldn't even remove the onstar box without it getting mad. But clones of the tech II exist for cheap enough, and ours has saved us a TON of times. If you plan ahead and get the right tools, a modern car shouldn't be too scary.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I will toss another vote into the hat for "buy something prebuilt". It will help you narrow down your choices for what's out there, and there are lots of great options for <$4k. And if you want to wrench... I guarantee you a pre-built car will still have more stuff to-do than you ever could have imagined. Don't worry... a prebuilt car will still have wire nuts, a bad alignment, rats to scurry away, and will not be race ready... even if the ad says so.

Building a car from scratch is double the costs, double the work, and will have double the amount of issues on your first race. It's hard enough starting a team with a prebuilt car budget, a new group of people with unknown reliability-levels, and a first race where there's already enough going on. Don't make it harder on yourself, don't be a hero... I've seen a couple teams fizzle out on new car builds before the first race after running out of funds, time, and passion. Or, they make it to their first race and never race again because it left a sour taste in their mouth after how much work and money they invested only to be broken and confused half of the weekend.

My first race was with a car built from scratch, most of the team fizzled out and the car is sitting under a tarp getting moldy. My second race I started my own team and bought a pre-built car. The car still required at least a dozen weekends and a few track days to sort out all the issues and get it the way it needed to be to pass current tech requirements and drive like it should reliably. It was still a struggle to keep my team alive at startup; if I started from scratch, my team also would have fizzled out.

Maybe don't buy the $4-5k prebuilt car that's fully sorted... maybe get the $2000 one that needs "a few things"?

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Some additional comments:

1. The "Index Of Effluvium" is the Grand Prize in Lemons, and comes with the largest financial benefit.

2. ... crap, I forgot the quote about the benefits of "Learning to drive a SLOW car FAST, rather than a fast car fast", or something like that. Experienced racers: please help me out here - thanks

3. Mount the seat before planning the cage.

Nobunaga wrote:

...Since we’re gonna have our kids helping and driving (ages 16-17 rn) I think a bigger, heavier car would be asking for trouble. That mass requires earlier braking and a softer touch unless you wanna end up in the outfield. Ditto anything that may be too fast. Slowing down from 150-160 is MUCH different than slowing down from 90-100!

You might find that a FWD car is easier to keep on track than RWD.

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

I might as well offer my $0.02.

If you want to just drive, buy a pre-built car.

Pros:

-Cheaper
-Probably pass tech the first time
-Might even last the whole race

Cons:

-You don't know jack about who/how it was put together so you probably can't fix it.
-The REAL reason it's being sold is not obvious (i.e. "ran when parked")
-You miss the 'building' aspect of the car, which can be fun

My advice is if you want to just "see what it's like" just do an arrive-n-drive rental with an existing team.  Who knows, you might hate this whole Lemons thing.  It's quite an investment with all the gear and associated stuff like gas cans, radios, tow vehicle, spare parts, etc.  if you happen to love it like the rest of us fools, be prepared to part ways with a lot of of your time and money!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

What everyone else said, but a Marquis with a 429 is absolutely a great choice. Just wanted to sneak that in there. Lemons needs more Mercury entries. Always.

The '77 Grand Prix is good and all, but you gotta aim bigger before GM downsized everything pre-1977.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

a Marquis with a 429 is absolutely a great choice. .

Big Block...Big Block.....Big Block  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cordoba

Build what will make you happy. If you listen to me, I am only going to encourage you to do something amazing aka stupid like the Grand Prix or the Marquis. The Daytona is for masochists but if that makes you happy go for it!

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

So I listened to everyone’s suggestions. Buying an already prepped Lemons car makes the most sense. If I just wanted seat time I’d go that route.
Getting a big ‘ol honkin land barge REALLY appeals to me. The ‘77 GP is the last year of the full size A body. And the marquise has a 429!!! However, I’ve owned a Buick Roadmaster in the past and remember the, erm, unsettling feeling of taking sweepers at around triple digits! Scary!!!!
So, after taking everyone’s thoughts into consideration, I went with option C. Aka South America’s finest! A ‘89 VW Fox wagon! Yes, 80 horsepower of longitudinal front wheel drive domination!!!! Lol
TBH, I’m super stoked about it. The car is a manual, and it’s light. Also, it was sold originally here in GA and has no rust! (I sense BS factor laps already) also, it has a Bosch cis FI system, which is mechanical. The fuel distributor is bad, and it has a busted injector. But both of those are safety items! Mwahahaha! The plan is to get it running and autocross it this year a few times while upgrading items. The boy is super excited about it too! Honestly quite surprised when I showed him the articles on driving a slow car fast. He got it! I’m looking forward to a thorough prep and hounding y’all with questions that hopefully lessen in stupidity as time goes on!

Thanks y’all!

Now how do I post a pic? I’ll try the search button first.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/05ffywlm3ZF8zATAwLKh726jQ

Nobunaga wrote:

So I listened to everyone’s suggestions. Buying an already prepped Lemons car makes the most sense. If I just wanted seat time I’d go that route.
Getting a big ‘ol honkin land barge REALLY appeals to me. The ‘77 GP is the last year of the full size A body. And the marquise has a 429!!! However, I’ve owned a Buick Roadmaster in the past and remember the, erm, unsettling feeling of taking sweepers at around triple digits! Scary!!!!
So, after taking everyone’s thoughts into consideration, I went with option C. Aka South America’s finest! A ‘89 VW Fox wagon! Yes, 80 horsepower of longitudinal front wheel drive domination!!!! Lol
TBH, I’m super stoked about it. The car is a manual, and it’s light. Also, it was sold originally here in GA and has no rust! (I sense BS factor laps already) also, it has a Bosch cis FI system, which is mechanical. The fuel distributor is bad, and it has a busted injector. But both of those are safety items! Mwahahaha! The plan is to get it running and autocross it this year a few times while upgrading items. The boy is super excited about it too! Honestly quite surprised when I showed him the articles on driving a slow car fast. He got it! I’m looking forward to a thorough prep and hounding y’all with questions that hopefully lessen in stupidity as time goes on!

Thanks y’all!

Nobody will know or care if you replace the injector or fuel distributor to get it running.  Keep it stock and you have an IOE candidate.

rb92673 wrote:
Nobunaga wrote:

Thanks y’all!

Nobody will know or care if you replace the injector or fuel distributor to get it running.  Keep it stock and you have an IOE candidate.

Yeah...If you get the stock motor running, the judges aren't going to care if you went over budget.It's an '89 VW Fox. That is punishment enough.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Bring a SU carb and some wood for when that CIS craps out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSLcti9jTf8

Judging by past VW Fox experiences, we are not worried about you running away with the race by 30 laps in one.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Nobunaga wrote:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/05ffywlm3ZF8zATAwLKh726jQ

That thing looks sweet. I've always wanted one. Don't let all the haters get you down, this is a fine racing machine!

I wouldn't spend too much time/effort on the CIS, just 1.8T swap it and call it a day smile

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

I am genuinely impressed that this thread started off with the typical 'what car should I buy?' post and ended up with the OP actually listening to recommendations and advice and then purchasing a car based on those recommendations all in the space of 5 days.

Good luck, Nobunaga, and welcome to circus!

#22 Team Slowtus Ford Focus

Following.

Also a newbie looking to get into Lemons.