Topic: Is there a list of current and past team names available?

So I'm a rookie forming a new team and we're wanting to come up with a clever but original team name, key word, original.  We'd like to avoid coming up with a name that we think is original only to find it's been used before.  If there's a comprehensive list available somewhere (or as comprehensive as reasonably possible), ideally either in alphabetical order or in a spreadsheet we could download and sort into alphabetical order or do keyword searches on, that would be great.  Or if in no particular order, then at least in a format that would be relatively easy to copy and paste into a spreadsheet for sorting and searching purposes would be good.  Does anything like that exist?

Wholly Shift Racing
(Randy Pobst wrecked our Ghostbusters car!)

2 (edited by DirtyDuc 2023-07-15 07:22 PM)

Re: Is there a list of current and past team names available?

I guess it depends on whether you plan on keeping your team name.

I'm sure a mostly comprehensive list exists in the back of the Lemons database, but there's no guarantee you aren't repeating due to the early years.

I don't bother with continuity (because it's boring), so I change team names mostly every race. Most of the obvious team names have probably been done at least once over the years.

But something like "Dale's lost cousins pining in the fields of backmarkers" sounds funny to me. Do a Lexus luxo-barge with some random NASCAR theme...

That guy

91badger wrote:

So I'm a rookie forming a new team and we're wanting to come up with a clever but original team name, key word, original.  [snip]

Pretty sure you can run an idea past Eric Rood and he'd be able to tell you.

I'm also pretty sure Lemons won't bother enforcing copyright law except for their own property - that'd be the province of the copyright owner.

Many users here have their team name in their sig; you can do some looking. Also event results and entry lists.

I'll suggest this:

I lurked here for a year and a half before registering to ask a question. I read each 'sticky' in each section, and then did a deep dive into topics which interested me. Then I read most of the rest of the forum.

There's tons of information on this forum already, posted by experienced team owners and car builders (that doesn't include me - yet); and the extent of and the creativity of the experienced builders here is just amazing. It's endlessly entertaining.

Many questions have already been answered - numerous times.

Here are *some* of what I consider to be the most important guidance I've read on this forum:

1. Read the rules.
2. Read them again.
3. Read “HOW TO NOT FAIL Lemons TECH INSPECTION”. Read it again (there's a theme here).
4. Buying a pre-raced Lemons car is usually less expensive than building one yourself.
5. There is NO BUDGET LIMIT for safety items.
6. Mount the seat before you plan the cage. This should include your shortest and tallest expected team members. I guess I'm personally going to change this to:  "consider all pertinent dimensions" of expected team members. Pedals, steering, controls, roof / cage clearance, seat dimensions, etc.
7. Plinth boxes.
8. "Make it safe, make it last, make it handle, make it fast." <(this is an ordered list).

4 (edited by Camper Van Someren 2023-07-15 11:02 PM)

I just googled our prospective name, and when nothing came up we went for it.

Unless it’s an active team racing within the past couple years, nobody is going to complain that you stole their name. Now if you take a team’s number… they may offer a bottle of whiskey in order to get their number back.

Yes... Max has compiled year-in-summary data for the past couple years... heres 2022 and it includes team names.

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=41240

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Lemons doesn't allow duplicate team names: once you create it, you own it for life

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

derekste wrote:

Lemons doesn't allow duplicate team names: once you create it, you own it for life

This. There are occasionally some names more or less duplicated with different formatting and pluralization, but if the name exists in the system, it won't let you create the same name. There are some caveats there, but I won't dive into the subtlety of our weird-ass registration system.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com