Topic: '05 BMW 325i Crank no start - Pacific Northworst GP

I know, I know... not race weekend, but I'm 3 weeks out and have a 1.5 week business trip between now and then.  Team dropped the car with me to "finish it" before the race.

I ran hours before I put the kill switch in. But, I've checked connections, continuity, the switch itself, stray volts... it seems like it's good.

Checked all fuses. Fuel pump runs. Pressure at fuel rail is ~20psi, which is way short of the recommended 50psi. Is crank pressure different than running pressure?

I got spark, I got air...

I don't think the fuel filter has ever been replaced.

I have a video, but can't post it until I've posted twice (this is my first post).

When I turn the key to position 2 (run), the fuel pump runs and a loud relay clicks 6 times. I think it's the fuel pump relay.  Kinda weird, but it's working.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: '05 BMW 325i Crank no start - Pacific Northworst GP

Not an E46 kinda guy, but generally fuel pressure has to be at recommended for everything to work right. I'd go with fuel filter change, then check, then look at voltage to the pump. Then pump.

Cranking fuel pressure is almost never different than running fuel pressure (I only say almost, because there's that one weird car made in Turduckistan).

That guy

did you try turning it off and on again?

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

kakarot1232001 wrote:

did you try turning it off and on again?

Does this thing even have fuel in it?

That guy

5 (edited by Zacks 2024-04-07 07:22 AM)

Probably a pump, but that one still has a regulator right?  Could be the regulator. 

Since you're measuring fuel pressure try pinching off the return line and see if pressure goes up (would need to crank it or whatever to turn pump on again)

Oh also most vehicles don't run the pump constantly at key up to "run" position,  usually 2 sec prime and then runs on crank and after engine start.  German cars are especially weird about this.  Some of them won't re-prime the pumpnif you cycle the key without a door open/close I hear.

I mean go ahead and jump the relay, easy enough.  See what happens shouldn't hurt as long as you jump correct pins.  (Usually the bigger pins, or gold/copper pins on relay, but if unsure do testing to make sure)

Sick burn on the fuel guys. Yes it's full. Yes it's plugged in.

Filter is on order and if that doesn't work, new pump.

No regulator.

Thanks for the replies!

Back to work...

Do you know that the sparks were happening at the correct time?

When you spray gas in the intake and crank it, does it stumble? Or no signs of life at all?

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9