Topic: Clarify Helmet Visor Rule

I have a SA2000 full face helmet that has a thin visor along the top of the helmet, but it doesn't flip down or even move at all.  Is this type of helmet legal?  I plan to wear safety glasses for eye protection.

The rule:
3.4: Driver's Helmet: Undamaged, full-face Type SA helmet, Snell SA2000 or better, mandatory. FIA 8860-2000 certification is acceptable. No open-face helmets allowed, ever, period, finito. Visors must be intact and in place. Type M (in other words, any motorcycle helmets) and other non-SA helmets not allowed. Hybrid helmets are not allowed, regardless of certification. Don't know if your helmet qualifies? Gently peel back the inner padding to find the Type stamp; if it doesn't have an "SA" sticker or stamp, you're boned. Sharing of helmets, fire suits, gloves, etc. is exceedingly gross, but that's no skin off our nose--you're welcome to do it.

So is this a legal helmet?  The visor is intact and in place in accordance with the rule, so I'm inclined to say yes.

Bieffe Integral GT:
http://www.thebellstore.com/images/Auto/INTRGLWT.jpg

thanks,
Michael

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

Re: Clarify Helmet Visor Rule

NOT legal.  It MUST have a shield.  Sorry.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Yup. too bad....These are much safer in a closed car than most visored full face helmets that are legal, IMO. I understand insurance is the issue...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Thanks for the quick replies.  I'll just have to buy a more comfortable helmet I guess.  I just use this one for autoX and track days, but I understand wheel to wheel racing is a little different.  I'd be concerned by fluid, dirt/gravel, or fire coming into the car with my current "open" closed face helmet.

Looking forward to my first Lemons race @ summit point.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

jimeditorial wrote:

Yup. too bad....These are much safer in a closed car than most visored full face helmets that are legal, IMO.

Why so?

Not doubting, just wonderin'...

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Most full face helmets are designed for open wheel cars, i.e. lots of ventilation air. Some for closed cars have ports to connect vent hoses (the NASCAR and touring  car guys use them) but the regular stuff we use can't get adequate ventilation with the visor closed, especially with the dog collar acting like a gasket around the neck. And the helmet manufacturers will tell you that they're not designed to be raced with the visor cracked open a bit or fully open. If you run it closed, it can fog, run it cracked open a little and it can distort your vision, especially if you wear glasses. Crank it wide open and you can scratch/dirty it or catch it on stuff if you're making a hasty exit, and again, the helmet manufacturer will wash their hands liability-wise. A sensible rule would be full-face "hybrids" (SA of course) or conventional full face helmets with the visor removed. Add windshield bars a la NASCAR if necessary and wear protective eyewear (sunglasses, etc.) but free airflow into the face area.   I'll take the eyehole balaclava with expensive sunglasses over the fishbowl...visibility-wise, if the insurers would allow it. Just my 2c.

Jim "Endo" Anderton

I saw the photo of the suit and helmet from the fire at last December's 25 Hours race. Visor-down saved his face.

Thanks Jimed.  Now I see where you're coming from (literally and figuratively).

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

m610 wrote:

I saw the photo of the suit and helmet from the fire at last December's 25 Hours race. Visor-down saved his face.

How was he exposed directly to the flames? I've been there with an open face helmet and I was out of there so fast I didn't get a suntan, let alone scorch my face....must have been a hell of a fireball. I'd still prefer no visor over breathing trapped exhaust, my own CO2 and lowered visibility. And if it's up I'm not gonna think about lowering it while I'm scrambling out. The ultimate for a quick escape might be an open face helmet with bubble goggles, if it was allowed. The ability to bend your chin down is worth a couple of inches of room getting out in a hurry....moot point though. It's probably what you're comfortable with. I started with open face helmets, so full face felt like jail. Hybrids offer the best of both worlds, but insurance rules!

Jim "Endo" Anderton

towerymt wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies.  I'll just have to buy a more comfortable helmet I guess.  I just use this one for autoX and track days, but I understand wheel to wheel racing is a little different.  I'd be concerned by fluid, dirt/gravel, or fire coming into the car with my current "open" closed face helmet.

Looking forward to my first Lemons race @ summit point.

Shoot me a PM with where you autox.  It's a small world and I might know you.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

His visor was up, if I recall the article correctly.  When he saw smoke, put the visor down, then kaboom as he was stopping.  They thought it was an explosion in the gas tank (another memory from reading a few months ago)

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Call me paranoid, but with the visor up, I'd be worried about getting hit in the face with something in case of a boo-boo.

I can't say 100%, but the rear-view mirror may have bounced off our driver's visor during the crash.

Video: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=4760

Good Luck Everybody Else Racing. Yes, we have a fan page.

I think the mirror did bounce off my face, but i was a little more concerned with the fact that I was rolling at the time.

I used to think that Lemons was a bit strict on safety, adopting rules from other groups arbitrarily... but none of those other series have arbitrary rules, which means Lemons rules though at times aren't perfectly clear, are there to save your ass.

two things, firstly my visor managed to get a couple scratches/chips at stafford from shiznit kicking up off the track last year so yes stuff does hit you in the face (and our car does have a windshield).  Also in terms of venting I usually just close the visor on my thumb which leaves it cracked open just slightly and makes a world of difference breathing and avoiding the fog. 

Unfortunately they don't also make a helmet for me that will help me avoid the red mist!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners