Topic: Is this a legit engine-acquisition strategy?

We are working on a completely ridiculous, very novel concept. Assuming we tie up some loose ends properly, I will probably want to contact someone in a Position of Authority to make sure we'll be allowed to enter this amazing contraption we're planning. But that will come later, perhaps in a few days. First, I'd like to ask a question which will certainly sound weird and suspicious, but will make a lot more sense once our full plan is revealed.

If we can buy a vehicle, remove the engine, and resell that vehicle for the same price, can we legitimately claim that the engine is essentially a zero-cost item with any chance of agreement from the Council of Elders or whatever the correct Lemons terminology would be?

(I use the term "Elders" with the utmost respect, normally reserved for beer and pork products, naturally.)

The Spanish Armada
'51 DeSoto, car #1539: Featuring authentic 16th century engineering

Re: Is this a legit engine-acquisition strategy?

The rules tend to get suspended if you're doing something interesting.  They also tend to be rigidly enforced if you are not.

Sounds like you'll be fine.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Look at http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=5197

It discusses the dark side of the budget.

Summarized: be over the top with delusions of a Rube Goldberg machine and you are ok. Be over the top with illusions of a Carrol Shelby machine and expect infinite penalty laps and several black flags.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

4 (edited by AllYaGottaDoIs 2010-06-20 05:06 PM)

Yes, I've re-read that thread about 2,000 times today.

We actually dug up Rube Goldberg's corpse in a misguided attempt to channel his spirit in the hopes of gaining some insight about direct-drive linkages. No luck yet. Will post more later.

The Spanish Armada

It sounds legit to me......here is why:

Lemons Judges LOVE really out there crazy engine swaps......  however if you show up with a 500+hp nascar motor you got for $0 to install in your miata or E30....I'd say you'll get a bunch of laps......  Now put it in something out there.....like a 70's Cadillac that are HUGE you might be okay....assuming your theme and bakeesh are in order

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

The good news is that I have received Preliminary Blessings.

Since we don't want to create any whiplash-like injuries from the sheer awesomeness of our concept, we are withholding further details pending further exploration of our actual ability to deliver.

But there will be rust. Oh yes, there will be rust. And very likely blood. And noise and smoke. And we fully expect that like the actual Spanish Armada, even the British will be able to eliminate us. But also like the Spanish Armada, we'll at least appear to be very dashing, as long as they allow cutlasses in the pits. Oh yeah, and we don't plan to kill many Indians or really spend any time in Peru, although we'll consider governorship of Cuba.

I can say no more.

The Spanish Armada

SEAT?

Ha, nice... I hadn't even thought about that. No, the team/theme is about 90% oriented to the fact that the car is nominally a DeSoto, but that last 10% will be something uniquely stupid if we can solve several ungodly complicated technical issues.

The Spanish Armada