Topic: Watercooled VWs and reliability

Our team recently acquired an '86 VW GTI. None of us have ever raced. Some of us have owned crappy cars in the past. As a beginner to Lemons, this post from Judge Phil has me worried:

Judge Phil wrote:

I would not recommend a GTI for a new team, because it seems that only total VW freaks have been able to keep water-cooled VWs running for an entire race.

None of us are VW freaks by any stretch of the imagination. As far as I know, none of us have even owned a VW. Why do these cars have this reputation? What should I look out for during the preparation process? The cooling system seems to be way over built. What am I missing here?

Re: Watercooled VWs and reliability

Im a VW guy, mostly aircooled but Ive done my share of water as well.  They are just unreliable POS's sorry to the watercooled folks out there but ya know I speak the truth.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Well it is certainly a POS, so I can't argue with you. Anything I can do to mitigate the crappiness to allow us a little more time on the track?

Epoxy a 1/2" thick block of wood to the back side to the gas pedal.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

5 (edited by Mick25 2010-07-04 05:53 PM)

Prior to May's CMP race, I would not have had any issues with watercooled Vdubs.  Our GTI ran great for two complete races, with an engine that had been pulled from a totalled Jetta, placed in a Jetta that was totalled, and then sold to us.  Unknow miles, unknown everything.  It made two and a third Lemons races, before the oil pressure went to zero.  Put a good radiator in the car, hard wire the fan to run on high all the time the engine runs, and change the oil as often as possible.  Keep an eye on the water temp and get VERY concerned if it gets on the high side.  Do not overrev the motor, well, try not to, ok, when you overrev the motor to get by that Civic, do not stay in it too long.    We had never worked on a VW before Lemons, and I was amazed at its simplicity and ease to repair.  If you are mechanically inclined, you can make it run.  It is small, nimble, and can fit in very tiny holes on the track.

Upgrade the brakes, put ducting to the front rotors, put a BIG oil pressure alarm light in view of the driver, and have fun!!!!

If it is truly a $500 car, make sure you have good oil pressure, the dizzy cap is good, plug wires aren't arcing (basically do a tune up) and it should run.

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

6 (edited by FJ40Jim 2010-07-04 07:38 PM)

The water cooling is not the issue.  It's the gunked up CIS components and the rotten wiring harness that will make the car unreliable.   The basic 8V engine is pretty sturdy, same w/ the bodyshell, steering, suspension.  The tranny is a crapshoot, some last forever, some spit the rivets or the crosshaft out of the diff with no provocation.

We have reliabiltized our car by freshening/combining 2 junk engines, using the best head, cam, pistons and rings from the 2.  One block & crank was trashed, so we had to use the new bottom end that we got outta the trash.  A new set of diesel rod bearings and rebuilding the oil pump should make it last several races.  Adding an oil temp gage (if your GTI doesn't have a factory one) is a must for endurance racing.

The ignition was reliabilitzed by using a dissy from a junkyard Fox w/ mechancial advance.  That allowed bypassing the unreliable knock sensor and knock box.  Set the timing at a straight 15* at idle, and it's at 38* @4500rpm.

The alternator was reliabilitized by welding a larger pulley (found in the dirt at the JY) to the stock pulley.  That slows down the alt, so running it all day at 5000RPM won't destroy it.  The new pulley also spaced the alt belt back enough to allow deleting AC and using a single belt, instead of the goofy 2-belt w/ AC compressor inthe middle setup.

FWIW, I don't think of myself a VW geek (I do not name my cars, nor do I appreciate the musical meandering of the Dead), though I've owned a few over the years. 
The incredibly low price of replacement parts (complete set of German rod bearings- $14.98) and generally simple engineering are appreciated.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Jim, you are a wealth of information. Thanks again.

Water-cooled VWs are much like Honda Civics in Lemons: they go pretty well when they run, but probably around 50% of them have some mechanical problem(s) that cost at least a couple hours of repair time during the course of the weekend.

Also like the Civic, parts are very easy to find.

Judge Phil wrote:

Water-cooled VWs are much like Honda Civics in Lemons: they go pretty well when they run, but probably around 50% of them have some mechanical problem(s) that cost at least a couple hours of repair time during the course of the weekend.

Also like the Civic, parts are very easy to find.

Aww Murilee, I sense guilt in your voice. You didn't scare us away. After seeing the bustling city surrounding the No Problem Raceway I'm sure we can find plenty of foreign auto parts.

I don't think we are going to apply until the May race next year, so we have plenty of time get it all sorted out. Besides, what kind of douchebags would show up to their first Lemons race and be competitive?

Don't cheap out on the oil. We use Valvoline VR-1, straight 30wt. A racing oil has additives that harm catalytic converters, but those additives help bearings and cams last at 240 degree oil temps.

Install plenty of gauges. Water and oil temp. Oil pressure and volts. Paint a red line on the gauge face to mark max readings. Makes it easy to glance at them on the straights.

Get a new radiator. Replace the thermostat with whatever works best on a GTI, OEM or aftermarket. Eliminate the heater core. Either put a loop in the engine outlets or cap them. I did a loop. New radiator hoses for sure. New radiator cap, if it can't hold the stock psi it's gonna overheat.

sergio wrote:

Don't cheap out on the oil. We use Valvoline VR-1, straight 30wt. A racing oil has additives that harm catalytic converters, but those additives help bearings and cams last at 240 degree oil temps.

Install plenty of gauges. Water and oil temp. Oil pressure and volts. Paint a red line on the gauge face to mark max readings. Makes it easy to glance at them on the straights.

Get a new radiator. Replace the thermostat with whatever works best on a GTI, OEM or aftermarket. Eliminate the heater core. Either put a loop in the engine outlets or cap them. I did a loop. New radiator hoses for sure. New radiator cap, if it can't hold the stock psi it's gonna overheat.

It's possible to find sprint car/circle track aluminum radiators very, very cheap; if you can modify your car to fit one of those, you get a high capacity radiator with better cooling than your stock one. Only downside is that they bend easy, so make sure to put some hardware cloth across the front so that the fins don't get too impacted on the track by random debris.

Make sure to put the water temp sensor on the radiator hose close to where the water exits the head on its way to the radiator for the most accurate temp readings. There are adapters that allow you to put it inline with the radiator hose (check eBay) so you don't have to drill a hole in your head.

You can put oil pressure and temp sensors on a sandwich filter that screws on between your oil filter and the block if you don't have a better place to put them. That's about the easiest way to do it. I really prefer to put idiot lights on the oil and water sensors so that the driver (who may be distracted by the racing action) can't miss the light and knows to either shut it down or dial it back. Keeping oil pressure high is your friend. You might even go to a heavier weight oil (I know a lot of guys running 20w50 for that very reason) if your oil pressure isn't staying high.

You can always gut your thermostat if you're worried about not getting enough flow through it under racing conditions.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

It's possible to find sprint car/circle track aluminum radiators very, very cheap; if you can modify your car to fit one of those, you get a high capacity radiator with better cooling than your stock one. Only downside is that they bend easy, so make sure to put some hardware cloth across the front so that the fins don't get too impacted on the track by random debris.

Many race car chassis specify "aluminum Scirocco radiator".  So no mods necessary to put the aluminum race car radiator in a VW, since they come from the factory w/ an aluminum race car radiator. smile

Make sure to put the water temp sensor on the radiator hose close to where the water exits the head on its way to the radiator for the most accurate temp readings. There are adapters that allow you to put it inline with the radiator hose (check eBay) so you don't have to drill a hole in your head.

The VW cooling system is laid out strange (to my eyes).  The T-stat is in the lower engine inlet, and the WP hangs off the side of the block w/ eleventeen hoses going every whichway.  The upper rad hose fitting out of the head has bosses for several sensors, including a temp gage.  The cooling system is actually pretty reliable, if in good repair.  Ours has always run right at thermostat temp under race conditions.  It will creep up 15* in the pits, then the fan switch comes on and brings it back down.

You can put oil pressure and temp sensors on a sandwich filter that screws on between your oil filter and the block if you don't have a better place to put them. That's about the easiest way to do it. I really prefer to put idiot lights on the oil and water sensors so that the driver (who may be distracted by the racing action) can't miss the light and knows to either shut it down or dial it back.

The OEM GTI oil cooler sandwich adapter/filter base has bosses for oil temp and oil press and idiot light.  Not all of them are drilled, if it is a car that did not have an oil temp gage.  They are easily drilled & tapped to 1/8NPT for universal aftermarket senders in that case.  Also a good place to get pressurized oil feed for the ghettocharging system.  There is also an oil press fitting on the end of the cylinder head to check the oil press far from the oil pump.  We do not use this fitting on our car, but it is a good early indicator of oil system failing.

Idiot lights are only good for idiot drivers.  Wait, this IS Lemons.  Racing quality idiot lights are mandatory! tongue

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

I recommend the cooling-system pressure idiot light for every Lemons car. Junkyard oil pressure senders are pocket-sized, i.e. free. Side marker lights off late-70s Japanese cars make good oversized idiot lights.

14 (edited by jimeditorial 2010-07-05 10:35 AM)

You can improve the hell out of cooling by boiling out the system with a flushing agent.....vinegar is Lemons appropriate. You'd be amazed how much scale builds up in engines.....can you mount the heater core in the air? They reject a surprising amount of heat at full temp..

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Judge Phil wrote:

I recommend the cooling-system pressure idiot light for every Lemons car. Junkyard oil pressure senders are pocket-sized, i.e. free. Side marker lights off late-70s Japanese cars make good oversized idiot lights.

^This
A coolant pressure sensor would have saved us a headgasket swap on Saturday night at Summit when our coolant hose let loose and dumped all the water and the driver didnt realized it because without water you just get no temp reading not a high one.  He assumed the wire came off the sensor (had happened before) and did 2 laps with no coolant before we could get him to come in.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Our WC golf (94 2.0 5spd) has been perfectly reliable for us up to this point. Our only issues have been with hack job repairs from the PO, and stupidity on our part. Admittedly we only ran the 24 hr @ nelson last year, but the car has been abused at several autoX events (we put 23 miles on in one autoX!) and has not caused us any issues.

17 (edited by rickerbr 2010-07-07 02:43 PM)

Good news is it's an '86 so CIS w/o Oxy Sensor. It is possible to make a w/c VW run the whole weekend your first time out (we did it with a 88 Scirocco 16V that was basically unknown save a couple of hours at track days).

Stuff to watch for -

0. Go on ebay and get the Bentley Golf/Jetta 1985-92 book. It's the factory manual, and the Germans do stuff a little bit differently.....

1. Fuel system electrics - all A2s have 2 fuel pumps an in tank (transfer) pump and a pressure pump on the passenger side unibody. These pumps are driven by a relay under the dash. If the car dies on you unexpectedly, turn the switch off and then back on without starting the car. If you don't hear the pumps running, tap the relay with a screwdriver handle. If it starts running, go spend $5 at your FLAPS for a new fuel pump relay. I'd have a spare in the car and instruct your drivers on how to change it, they fail without rhyme or reason. If your transfer pump is loud, do yourself a favor and don't run the tank dry as that will finish it off (in fact don't run the tank dry ever as these transfer pumps are fragile).

2. Crappy ignition switch electrics. All VWs prior to about 98 use the same electrical switch which dates back to the 1970 Super Beetle. If the tachometer stops working while the car is running, it's possible the switch is going bad, also the car will just stop running and not crank when this dies. Another $5 investment.

3. Fuel distributor/meter/filter - Change the filter, CIS absolutely doesn't like trash. Much like carburetor is French for do not touch, CIS is German for Nicht Gefingerpoken. If the car runs ok, don't mess with the mixture adjustment or metering plate, unless you know what you're doing, it's a recipe for disaster.

4. Vacuum leaks - Fix 'em, even the slightest leak will cause weird lean misfires and other stuff that will convince you the car isn't getting fuel (see #1).

5. Transaxle - The 020 box is reasonably stout (save the riveted diff shaft aka self machining syndrome, but I've never experienced this in any of my VWs firsthand), shift linkage on the A2s is light years above the A1 setup, but still a bit fragile, go over all of the ball ends and look for loose or cracked rod ends etc. Shifter stuff doesn't count towards the limit. If you've got room in the budget, these boxes like Redline MTL. Watch for fluid leaking around the diff flanges that connect to the inner CV joints.

6. Wheel bearings - Replace them, they're a safety item now, so pull both front spindles and have new bearings put in. Consider doing the rear bearings as well.

7. Engine basics - check timing belt, make sure temp and oil pressure senders are hooked up, watch for signs of overheating and leaks. In general the 1.8 8V is reasonably reliable, as long as they are maintained properly.

8. Cooling system - loop the line, don't block the heater outlet on the head, the water in the head does not circulate well without both the upper rad hose outlet and the heater outlet (at least on the 16V head) and will boil over within minutes. We learned this the hard way. You might consider gutting the thermostat (taking the block off plate out so that if it fails, water flow is not blocked, but the frame is in there to slow/restrict the flow as needed).

Hope this helps....

Unpimp Ze Lemon
1988 VW Scirocco
2010 North Dallas Hooptie 18th, Yee Haw, It's Lemons Texas 61st

killerken53 wrote:

Our WC golf (94 2.0 5spd) has been perfectly reliable for us up to this point.

Motronic is so much less fragile than the CIS that the older cars used.....

Unpimp Ze Lemon
1988 VW Scirocco

I believe this one is CIS-E but I'm not sure. Take a look at this picture and you can probably tell right away.

http://i.imgur.com/dmWuE.jpg

20 (edited by rickerbr 2010-07-07 02:37 PM)

Appears to be CIS-E, you are correct (DPR on the side of the fuel distributor). A few more wires and moving parts, but in general same principles apply. The Oxy Sensor and DPR are basically trim mixture, the gross mixture is controlled by the meter plate arm. Do you know how long this car has been sitting?

Unpimp Ze Lemon
1988 VW Scirocco

Been sitting for about 3 years. It looks like it was well-maintained before that though. When I pulled the air box there was a clean, oiled K&N filter in there. The engine oil is clean and at the right level, and there aren't any puddles under the car even though it has been in the garage for over 2 weeks now.

22 (edited by pennintj 2010-07-07 03:28 PM)

Duncan345 wrote:

I believe this one is CIS-E but I'm not sure. Take a look at this picture and you can probably tell right away.

That looks suspiciously like this car:

http://www.gatm.com/cars/images/gti/03-26-10_1128.jpg
http://www.gatm.com/cars/gti.html

If so, thank god that thing went to a good home. I kept thinking about emailing him to find out what happened to it....since I need waaay too many parts for my caddy which that thing seemed to have smile

Frankly, it sounds like the bulk of the water-cooled VDub problems stem from degraded German wiring & a failure-prone injection system, with a small portion of that chalked up to a failed timing belts.

With that in mind, early-90's Japanese Bike Carbs are cheap and plentiful, and I'll assume since it's an 8v engine that you can always go "backwards" and install a traditional distributor (if they don't already have one) scrap the CIS/Motronic injection, and install a points/hall effect sensor distro and eliminate a sh*t-ton of problems?

16v on GSXR Carbs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEk0OQ6d7k4

Remember, CV Carbs need Vacuum.

(this is also a  "Brain Picking" exercise on my part, since that's pretty much what I'm thinking of doing)

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

pennintj wrote:

That looks suspiciously like this car:

http://www.gatm.com/cars/images/gti/03-26-10_1128.jpg
http://www.gatm.com/cars/gti.html

If so, thank god that thing went to a good home. I kept thinking about emailing him to find out what happened to it....since I need waaay too many parts for my caddy which that thing seemed to have smile

-=Tom

I doubt it's the same car, Tom, since he said they got an '86 -- which would be the 2nd-generation Golf chassis.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

24 (edited by Duncan345 2010-07-07 05:14 PM)

Too many differences for them to be the same car. The biggest difference being that that is a Mk1 chassis and this one is a Mk2. That guy is in Louisiana though, so maybe I could get some parts from him...

Also, I came across the carb conversion in my research. It seems like a pretty big headache and a budget buster.

Duncan345 wrote:

Too many differences for them to be the same car. The biggest difference being that that is a Mk1 chassis and this one is a Mk2. That guy is in Louisiana though, so maybe I could get some parts from him...

missed the "86" part so yeah, that wouldn't be the same car. Saw the cross brace and underhood shot... From what I gathered the mk1 was over toward Lafayette.

Pull a part on the west bank of new Orleans has like six Fox models, a mk1 cabrio, and a couple later models, as well as an early Audi quattro if they haven't all been crushed yet. They cycle pretty fast so check the website s the best way to tell what's there.

Tom

-=HFC Tom