Topic: Roll cage fron hoop

Ok, I think I have a major problem with my cage.  We just got the car back from the builder and what he did was run the front hoop up along the front of the door, along the A pillar then aft to the main hoop.  He did this on both sides.  Then he ran a bar side to side between the 2 hoops he created.

As I read the rules, he should have run the front hoop up along the A pillar on the driver side, then taken it across to the passenger side and down.  Then he should have taken additional peices and run them fore and aft to create the halo, correct?

I'm tired right now, mad and couldn't figure out how to get a picture posted right now.  Here's a link to the race team album: http://picasaweb.google.com/FilthyMecha … ghtRacing#

Could some one let me know if this is as bad as I think it is, please?

Re: Roll cage fron hoop

AFAIK the only legal setups are a continuous front hoop from side to side (which is what's described in the rules), or a halo hoop and A-pillar bars (which is the exception to the rule).

I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or deny this shortly.

On the plus side, I'm sure that cage is grade A awesome for circle track.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

No, I think you're okay. There aren't that many photos though, so I've got a question on the a-pillar bars. Does the bar originate at a floor plate, go up to the a-pillar, follow the a-pillar to the roof line, then go back to the main hoop all in one continuous piece? That's the same on both sides of the car, and then the a-pillar bars are connected across the top of the windshield area.

If that's the case, you're fine. That's essentially the "left and right bars" cage described in post 1 of this topic:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=328

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

That is an acceptable cage design.  That design, with side bars running from the footwells to the main hoop, is what we run in two of our cars.  With that design, you need a bar running across the top of the a-pillars to make a front hoop.  You have that and a dash bar so you are good.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

5 (edited by OlCreFoo 2010-08-09 07:44 AM)

Captain Obvious Here:

Pretty sure I'm not overlooking it in the pictures, so I assume you guys are adding the diagonal for the main hoop?

Just to make sure, since the A-pillars look happy

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

6 (edited by Filthy Mechanic 2010-08-09 08:31 AM)

OK, sorry about the pictures, it was really late. 

The hoop goes up from a 6X12 spreader plate along the door post, angles back along the A pillar then follows the roof back to the main hoop.  There is one horizontal bar between the left and right hoops above the dash and a second horizontal along the roof line.  The builder added a 3rd fore and aft bar in the middle of the car along the roof line.

So according to the pictures of the acceptable cage designs, I think we're OK on that part of the design.  We know we're missing the diagonal on the main hoop and will add that ourselves.  Where I know we're boned is that he made both the front hoop on the left side and the main hoop from 2 pieces each and butt welded them together.

That noise you heard was my head exploding.

7 (edited by RobL 2010-08-09 08:35 AM)

Filthy Mechanic wrote:

Where I know we're boned is that he made both the front hoop on the left side and the main hoop from 2 pieces each and butt welded them together.

Insta-fail.

Mmmm...  Brains!!!  Win!

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Where I know we're boned is that he made both the front hoop on the left side and the main hoop from 2 pieces each and butt welded them together.

That noise you heard was my head exploding.

Ouch, ouch, and ouch.  I'll think good thoughts for you.  Just don't give up!

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

Rob, can you think of any way to rectify this situation at this point other than scrapping the cage from the main hoop forward?What if they were to install 1-piece vertical downbars that would connect a-pillars at the node where the windshield bar connects down into spreaders at the floor/frame? That would replace (or at least reduce) the fail point where the bars were butt-welded with a new vertical support for rollover protection. Although it would be at the cost of ease of egress/ingress.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

What if they were to install 1-piece vertical downbars that would connect a-pillars at the node where the windshield bar connects down into spreaders at the floor/frame?

Unfortunately, the main bars are still not 1 continuous piece as per da'rulz.

Sorry, you are screwed. You may be able to reuse some of the material in the next cage, but, no way to sugar-coat it, you are screwed on this cage.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Oooh, I missed that part that the main hoop is non-continuous.

Yeah, buddy, sorry about that. WTF was the cage builder thinking -- would that be acceptable practice in any series?

The best thing to do is to remake the cage. 

As an alternative...  You may want to check with Jay and Co. about thier concerns about sleeving the affected tubes.  I've seen sleeved cages pass tech but don't know the specifics about what would or would not pass - I don't like them, don't make them, don't use them.  I do know that sleeves need to be integrated into the design of the cage so that they can be slid into position before welding or bolting them into place.

RobL wrote:

As an alternative...  You may want to check with Jay and Co. about thier concerns about sleeving the affected tubes.  I've seen sleeved cages pass tech but don't know the specifics about what would or would not pass - I don't like them, don't make them, don't use them.  I do know that sleeves need to be integrated into the design of the cage so that they can be slid into position before welding or bolting them into place.

Aren't the sleeves in bolt-in cages only used in the horizontal plane?  IIRC, the Autopower ones work that way, no?  I've not seen them use a sleeve on the vertical tubes.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Payment should be stopped on the work done.
If he is a reputable cage builder he should have known better.
Print out the SCCA rules and give the guy a copy.
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club%20Fo … anuary.pdf

Pages 153 to 160 to be more precise. This is a good starting point along with the Rules on cage building #3 in the Lemons Prices and rules section. Between the Lemons requirements and the info from SCCA rules you will end up with a very nice and structurally sound cage that will pass Lemons inspection with ease.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

15 (edited by RobL 2010-08-09 01:19 PM)

VKZ24 wrote:
RobL wrote:

Aren't the sleeves in bolt-in cages only used in the horizontal plane?  IIRC, the Autopower ones work that way, no?  I've not seen them use a sleeve on the vertical tubes.

The "problem" is that it's not clear about how and what bars can be sleeved. 

The quote from the SCCA rules is this:

B. Removable roll cages and braces shall be very carefully designed and constructed to be at least as strong as a permanent installation. If one tube fits inside another tube to facilitate removal, the removable portion shall fit tightly and shall bottom by design and at least two (2) bolts shall be used to secure each such joint. The telescope section shall be at least eight (8) inches in length except forthe door bars which shall be a minimum of four (4) inches in length. Minimum bolt diameter is 3/8 inches.

And this is why I don't like to deal with them.  There is no hard and fast rule about what bars can or can not be sleeved and the only requirement is that they be as strong a permanent installation.  I don't like making that kind of judgement call during tech with a line of cars waiting.  Do I think that a 1.75"x.120" sleeve bolted over a 1.5"x.120" tube can be strong as the original 1.5" tube in any plane?  Sure...  But that's not what is written in the Lemons rules and is why I would want to defer that to Jay.

I just talked to the builder and the tubes are sleeved internally.  I was able to verify by sound that there are tubes inside and they extend about 3 inches either side of the welds.

I've added some more pictures of the areas in question:  http://picasaweb.google.com/FilthyMecha … eat=email#

I suppose that they could run a drill through the outside and verify the inner piece if they wished.  Has anyone everheard of this being allowed?

Filthy Mechanic wrote:

Has anyone everheard of this being allowed?

I saw rear stays be passed with this type of sleeving at Stafford (they came into my tech line and I differed to the head of tech, Chris, to make a final decision).  Shoot an email off to Jay and verify that he will accept this type of sleeving on the bars that it happened on.

Thanks, will do.

Not that it is likely to matter since several areas of the cage are questionable, but those door bars don't look right either.

After working the tech line at Stafford I really began wondering if many teams actually print out the Lemons cage rules and hand them to their "professional" cage builders.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

The back tubes don't seem to meet at the floor, they meet at the rear crossbar that ties the strut towers together. The crossbar has a tube that drops to the floor of the trunk and is welded without any type of spreader. Ouch! The rules aren't terribly clear on the backstays, but I don't like the tube welded to the floor with no spreader.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_L7YatbRgzzg/TGDOvhEyqtI/AAAAAAAAAKs/v21hQuxgKuM/s800/005.JPG

Yeah, this isn't going to pass...

Perhaps I'm trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but at least you've unintentionally given us a pretty good what-not-to-do tutorial. Sorry, dude.

If you gave the builder the rules and told him to build you a cage for this race,  and it seems that he screwed it up in multiple places you should be able to go to him and tell him to redo it for free.  It seems pretty clear he screwed it up and as a professional he should rectify it.  As long as there is time before the race that is probably the first thing you should start with, you can see if Jay will give you a pass but with a list of things piling up it is becoming unlikely that he will.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

24 (edited by Filthy Mechanic 2010-08-11 05:00 PM)

I didn't work with the builder, but the guys who did gave them a current copy of the rules and a print out of the picture showing the cage designs.  I've emailed Jay and he sent me on to John Pagel.  I'm waiting to hear back.

Perhaps, in the section of the rules where it states if you don't know what you're doing with the roll cage, you should take the car to a pro the following caveat: one who'll read the rules and not just do it his way.

Crayon diagrams might help more than a copy of the rules.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear