Re: Suggested rule change concerning fueling

Aaaaand this was just confirmed. http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=7357

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Yup, as well as OE hoods REQUIRED, which I think is a good (and fair) move.

They said OE, but not that it has to be OE of that car, heh.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:

They said OE, but not that it has to be OE of that car, heh.

How long before Eyesore uses a 1950's Ford pick up truck hood to cover the ghettocharging?  That'd look awesome.

Dave532 wrote:

In order to reduce potential costs during an event I suggest the Lemons series adopt the fueling can rule similar to another crap-can series as follows:

All refueling must be done using a [other crap-can series] approved, standard 5-gallon plastic fuel
containers; for references to types of approved fueling containers, see:
http://www.tuffjug.com/ – OR – http://www.vro.com/scribner-5-gallon-ut … p-126.html – OR
http://www.saferacer.com/scribner-5-gal … uctid=462.

I believe this rule would be easier, cheaper, oftentimes safer and more to the spirit of the series.

I am assuming no one wants a Lemons race decided on who can afford the fastest/most expensive fuel rig.
But, maybe I'm wrong...let me know.

-Dave
Team Short Bus

Chump fueling rules are derived from NASA's fueling regulations.

We have only used 5 gallon jugs so the rule works for me.  I didn't want to have a specialized fueling rig we can only use at Lemons or only 1 track.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Ok here's my gripe about this rule. My team uses a 100 gallon, pick up bed mounted, diesel tank that is used to fill up tractors. We just drain the diesel and fill it with gas before the race. We are using the same nozel that is used at the gas pump so what is the difference? We have not spilled 1 drop yet and have used it for 8 races and this last race fueled two cars all weekend with it.
This rule was made to save people money right? Well i know that the fuel pumps at the track will fill up a car one hell of a lot faster than using 5 gallon jugs so now the person with the most money (can afford to buy their gas at the track at a sky high price) has the advantage rather than the dirt farmer who is trying to save money by filling his dot approved fueling rig with gas at home where it is reasonable. I know we will still be filling our 100 gallon tank and 55 gallon drums only now we will be transfering it an extra time by putting it into 5 gallon jugs, which is yet another time the fuel is being moved thus another possablility for a spill.
Why not make it to where if you have a fuel rig you must state so while going through tech so it can also be inspected for safety. This would solve all the problems.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

I think too many people are sketching up plans for crappy home brew fueling setups and they're being proactive about keeping it from being a danger. Just get 2 VP fuel jugs and hoses from www.smileysracing.com and fill them from your pump, then fill your car.

I'm sure Jay and his advisors thought long and hard about this issue and the risk of some unsafe rig spilling dozens of gallons of fuel all over the tarmac is just too risky. Also using just 5 gallon jugs is cheaper and eliminates the risk of some unsafe home built fueling rig. Jay has always said he doesn't want Lemons to get too serious with costs increasing to run Lemons. I suppose fueling rigs are just too serious. I like the rule, it's cheaper and keeps everyone equal.

EriktheAwful wrote:

I think too many people are sketching up plans for crappy home brew fueling setups and they're being proactive about keeping it from being a danger. Just get 2 VP fuel jugs and hoses from www.smileysracing.com and fill them from your pump, then fill your car.

The question is if those are approved or not since I don't see any certification listed.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

The question is if those are approved or not since I don't see any certification listed.

Exactly. I can't even find an applicable FIA certification for this kind of implement. Not sure that any of the SFI regs apply either.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

My Hunsaker jugs say Score approved and ASA approved on the bottom of them. I guess it's time to change racing organisations.......

sergio wrote:

My Hunsaker jugs say Score approved and ASA approved on the bottom of them. I guess it's time to change racing organisations.......

I emailed Nick this afternoon regarding the Hunsaker 5-gallon jugs.  I'll post the response when I get it.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
"Sparky" Pete wrote:

I.O.E. is the winner, and this will never a problem in those pits. You are talking about the fastest looser, which no one really cares aboot.

While several of the "faster" teams near us were doing 35msec pit stops all frantic-like, we were having hot dogs. So I ask you, who had the better pit-stop?

If that's really the case, then why isn't the top IOE winner going to France next year???

Yes, let's discuss points!  Laps (only) vs style is the way to Xanadu?  Olivia Newton-John is going to be pissed!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

widgetsltd wrote:
sergio wrote:

I emailed Nick this afternoon regarding the Hunsaker 5-gallon jugs.  I'll post the response when I get it.

Pop on over to the sticky post about the rules changes and you'll see all your questions are answered.

Here is Jay's direct response if you dont have the motivation to click over to the other thread.

"The purpose of the rule is to have people use 5-gallon (or smaller) fuel jugs. If it's 5 gallons or smaller, and it was made in a real factory by a real business, and it's sold to real people at real stores for the express purpose of carrying real fuel, it's OK. It's a 5-gallon goddamn fuel jug: You don't need to be Supreme Court Judge Potter Steward to know it when you see it."

"If it's an old cider jug, then it's not frickin' OK. If you add a pump, or a siphon, or put it on a rack, or do anything else that you think is incredibly clever, it's not OK. We want you pouring your fuel into your fuel tank from 5-gallon fuel jugs that you lifted by hand. Please get on with your life now."

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Well I do have to say this on the ruels for the 5 gallon cans. With the words SCCA added into the approval list it makes the modification for the 5 gallon cans more likely. I have crewed at the 13 hr Charge of the Headlight Brigade race at VIR for the past three years and we have used modified 5 gallon cans to fill our car. The SCCA tech guys have seen this and it is good with them. We also did this at another track and got the same awnser from them. So does this make the modifications ok now since SCCA approves a scribner 5 Gallon can with modifcation(dump/vent hose same as what we ran and got approved)?

yeah, the wording's still a bit of a gray area, including his reply. many of the new carb-approved cans have these horrifying push valves with soda-straw pour nozzles. I've seen many people grab the VP-style jugs and attach heater hoses to the cap so they can run it down the filler neck and pour with lowered risk. I'm sure Jay's getting annoyed by the onslaught of questions but the spirit of the rule; the "hand-pour, gravity-fed, 5-gallon jug" would still be intact for a jug with an 'improved nozzle' and modified venting. I think THAT specifically would make/brake this rule for many people.

5 gallon max jugs - check
Hand held, no rigs - check
Unmodified (until clarification is received) - check

I'm good with all of this, but I have had problems in the past with over filling and spillage.  Does anyone have a reliable method of making sure that doesn't happen? Or can anyone point me to a gravity system compatible auto-shut-off device that might be acceptable?

Any assistance much appreciated!

Steven

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

How about this one?
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80221/10002/-1?CT=999

Sergio, that one from Jegs looks like the same can that was linked in post 48 in the 2011 Rules Change thread:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 57&p=2

And it looks like it would be legal to me under the rule and Jay's clarification. But I'd check with Jay if the Hunsaker 5-gal can is okay first. I know that you can put more than 5-gal in it and that would technically disqualify it, but I suspect that Jay's intent with this rule change wasn't to make us all go out and buy new fuel jugs if we already have 5-gal fuel jugs, but rather to quell what he perceived as a growing trend toward potentially unsafe fuel rigs.

Bear in mind that Jay's general approach toward safety issues is to rely upon the engineering/safety work that someone else has already done: OE manufacturers (the crush zone and fuel tank rules), fuel jug manufacturers, SFI, etc.

So I'd check with Jay about whether the Hunsaker jugs are okay before chucking them and buying new ones.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Heck, what am I worried about? We don't even have a working motor in the car...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say based on my discussions with Jay the Hunsaker 5 gallon is just fine.

It fits his definition as provided above.  The fact that it is possible to cram a bit more than 5 gallons in it should not be looked on too heavily.  It is rated/advertised as a 5 gallon jug and thats what he wants.  Noone is going to be running around checking each jug to make sure that they hold exactly 5 gallons and no more.  If it is advertised and sold as a 5 gallon jug its all good.

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

I doubt there is a single 5-gallon jug available that doesn't hold slightly more than 5-gallons.  Since there is no official "certification" for fuel jugs by the race sanctioning bodies named, I'd say that Jay's email is pretty clear:  use a commercial fuel jug that's listed as "5 gallons", hold it when you're pouring from it using only gravity.  I'd say larger vent hoses, larger pour hoses, etc. are all OK as long as they don't leak.  Compressed air, not OK.  It doesn't need to be that complicated.

Jim, I think that is an eminently reasonable position.

And therefore it must be disregarded. smile This is Lemons afterall. If we listened to eminently reasonable positions, we would never have majesties like the Wartburg or the sChitroen or the GLCOAT or...

Mulry wrote:

Jim, I think that is an eminently reasonable position.

And therefore it must be disregarded. smile This is Lemons afterall. If we listened to eminently reasonable positions, we would never have majesties like the Wartburg or the sChitroen or the GLCOAT or...

Yeah, god forbid *I'm* the voice of reason around here.

Hey, I'm all for looking for loopholes and exploiting them to my advantage, but I never thought we'd quibble about fueling.  Get the fuel in the car and get back on the track.  If anyone was gonna work on a way around fueling I though folks would be looking for ways to increase the fuel capacity of the vehicle on the sly ala the old fuel stored in the roll cage trick (dont try this one at home kids)

But as its been said time and time again, all the go fast do things quicker cheats in the world aren't going to win this for you.  Bringing the weirdest car you can find wins it....unless you care about overall laps then reliability and consistency are the key wink

I'm thinking the old NASCAR fuel trick. Miles and miles of fuel line.