51 (edited by cmice 2009-08-22 10:13 AM)

Re: A note about the "Best. Corner Workers. Ever" at Buttonwillow

Judge Jonny wrote:

That's essentially it -- five rules.

AAAAND .... ruthless devotion to the pope.  SIX, SIX rules.

As much as it pains me, I'm gonna agree with da' Judge.  It ain't that hard kids.  As much as you'd like to make it about "the other guy", you're driving and you were involved for whatever reason - therefore it's your gig.  Got tangled up with a bozo?  Shouldda seen it coming.

Btw. the Bwillow corners were *excellent* at calling in, for example, "off, but to avoid contact".  That resulted in a drive-through for us, which is fine.

(Parenthetically, thus the parenthesis - we still have no idea what "spin and continue" is.  I think our driver said..."I spun.  I stopped.  THEN I continued.  Am I supposed to just sit there??")

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

Perhaps we have a record number of black flags at Buttonwillow because the corner workers were so good they actually SAW and CALLED IN every violation... unlike the overwhelmed flaggers at other events.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

magnusracing wrote:

Perhaps we have a record number of black flags at Buttonwillow because the corner workers were so good they actually SAW and CALLED IN every violation... unlike the overwhelmed flaggers at other events.

Perhaps.

Or perhaps the LONG and un-chicaned track with its fast speeds challenged the already challenged drivers a bit too much

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Spin and Continue....... IE you spun the car for whatever reason but you didn't break anything so your not gonna need a tow to get it out. This makes race control aware that yes some car went off but no need to send the calvary. Now in most raceing venues if ya spin and continue noone cares. Though a steward might have a chat with ya after the race is over just to verify the spin wasn't cause you were being a moron. In Lemons rules however they are trying to keep brand spanking new drivers and from getting clobbered so they just assume if you spun you were in over your head. So they black flag you to tell hey slow down and pay attention.

fezzic181 wrote:

Spin and Continue....... IE you spun the car for whatever reason but you didn't break anything so your not gonna need a tow to get it out. This makes race control aware that yes some car went off but no need to send the calvary. Now in most raceing venues if ya spin and continue noone cares. Though a steward might have a chat with ya after the race is over just to verify the spin wasn't cause you were being a moron. In Lemons rules however they are trying to keep brand spanking new drivers and from getting clobbered so they just assume if you spun you were in over your head. So they black flag you to tell hey slow down and pay attention.

I wouldn't say no one cares in other races.

And remember being sideways on a track -- especially after a turn -- is a fantastic way to get t-boned and/or killed.

We do not enforce these rules because we're jerks. We're jerks, but that has nothing to do with the rules.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

56 (edited by cmice 2009-08-22 12:07 PM)

Judge Jonny wrote:

Or perhaps the LONG and un-chicaned track with its fast speeds challenged the already challenged drivers a bit too much

After the bowling-ball Honda(?) face planted into the chicane on the main straight at Thill, I'm not sure this is really a "safer" alternative.  I felt a whole lot better without them than with.

So, over the course of 13.5 hrs, that's 23 blacks/hr or roughly a black every 3 minutes - which does seem pretty excessive.  At least one of ours was "off to avoid contact" which to me, seems like a perfectly explainable situation.

Honestly, I don't see what should be changed from Bwillow and felt it was a fantastic event.  If there were a select handful of bozos (maybe even a dozen bozos), boot them from the next race rather than re-jigger the format to try and prevent bozos from being bozos - which as we all know is p*ssing in the wind, imo.

Oh, and further - my engineer wife (who is raaaaght sexxxay as well) points out:

How much time was spent under green relative to any other Lemons race?  My gut feel analysis is that we spent probably 2x the time under green than at a previous event - maybe more.  I think there were all of 4-5 full course yellows for maybe an hour out of 13.5hrs...?

So, when you look at total blacks against time under GREEN (ie. actual race-on) you may find that this event was BETTER than other events where you had say 288 blacks, but were 40-50% less time under green.

You know how the saying goes - when all else fails, redefine the problem to fit available data.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

57 (edited by pixlpush 2009-08-22 12:27 PM)

cmice wrote:

How much time was spent under green relative to any other Lemons race?  My gut feel analysis is that we spent probably 2x the time under green than at a previous event - maybe more.  I think there were all of 4-5 full course yellows for maybe an hour out of 13.5hrs...?

I was honestly surprised to hear there were so many black flags.  It did seem like there were very few full course yellows and very few disabled vehicles requiring a tow off, so I think you may be on to something cmice.

The Pussy Wagën rides again,
one of Kill Phils crazy 88's
The B-Team

cmice wrote:

blah blah balh

One blag flag every three minutes = insanity

Judge Jonny wrote:
cmice wrote:

blah blah balh

One blag flag every three minutes = insanity

perhaps you have a better point there Judge Jonny...

The Pussy Wagën rides again,
one of Kill Phils crazy 88's
The B-Team

There were a few accident avoidance maneuvers i saw that caused two cars to put 4 off to avoid a over zealous driver and all 3 were called in with black flags. Now true they did put 4 off but the other side of the coin would have been a lot worse. So there had to be some number of black flags that were added up that way.

Pen

Pendejo wrote:

There were a few accident avoidance maneuvers i saw that caused two cars to put 4 off to avoid a over zealous driver and all 3 were called in with black flags. Now true they did put 4 off but the other side of the coin would have been a lot worse. So there had to be some number of black flags that were added up that way.

Pen

Good point -- maybe we should out medals for heroic accident avoidance?

How could we have been so wrong and unjust?

Judge Jonny wrote:

Hmmm... yeah, we could give out "medals" to drivers who leave the pavement in the name of safety. I've got a couple of Ford 429 cylinder heads and some sturdy chain with which to make those "medals."

MurileeMartin wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

Hmmm... yeah, we could give out "medals" to drivers who leave the pavement in the name of safety. I've got a couple of Ford 429 cylinder heads and some sturdy chain with which to make those "medals."

I like the way you think, Judge

MurileeMartin wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

I am sure your working with Arc Angel right now! Discussing how she can weld those heads to the tops of the heroes cars so that everyone else knows how they took a bullet in the name of safety.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Now watch the red car in this vid! He attempts to avoid the white car and gets paid back big time for his efforts. The red car does go four off for sure but other than a ambulance ride to the pits does he get a black flag for the four off?

http://www.specmiatavideos.com/Wrecks/T … 002-18.wmv

I am totally being a smart ass here just for argument sake. And to keep this good thread going.

Maximo Pendejo

P.S.

It is spec miata and we know those guys just are not right up stairs but momentum cars are fun to watch

Bender/StickFigureRacing wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

I am sure your working with Arc Angel right now! Discussing how she can weld those heads to the tops of the heroes cars so that everyone else knows how they took a bullet in the name of safety.

No no, they wear the medals!

rocketresto wrote:

We got 5 black flags at Toledo and got threatened with being put on the trailer.  Think the difference with us (and not getting kicked out) was only one was for contact, not all black flags are treated the same.  We got all of them in the first four hours of the 24 hour event and didn't get any after.  Three of them were because of the wet conditions, our car turns into the best drift car ever when it's wet.

I was impressed how well you got that monster hustling around the track! Couple of our drivers thought you were blocking them, but I attributed it to the huge mass of the car and not-so-great straight line tracking!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Mad_Science wrote:
FreeRange wrote:

The moral of the story?  NEVER assume that someone in front / behind you knows what the hell they are doing.

As someone who has no idea what they're doing, I fully agree with this statement.

I'm happy to go to race driving school if you're happy to pay for it.

But as it is, everyone complaining about stupid clueless drivers in Lemons reminds me of "hardcore" surfers that hit the super-touristy beaches at 10am on Saturday and complain about all the kooks in the water. Ummm...what did you expect?

That said (and this is what I put in the survey), I'm all for a "rookie" magnet or something that you put on the car for rookie drivers. At least then you can plan on us doing something stupid as you approach.

Similarly, a 30-60 minute rookie drivers' meeting where they go over some basics of track etiquette (where/when/how to point/pass/be passed) might work wonders for black flaggery and general frustration.

There's as much ignorance as stupidity, I think.

No matter how low-brow the activity, there's always some that think they are superior to the rest. I've been racing SCCA stuff since 1987, and personally, after  3 Lemons events, I don't find the new folks any better or worse than the typical SCCA crowd. Only ones that were a problem were those that though they were at a demolition derby or BMW drivers (same sort seems like), and the black flags seem to sort them out easily enough! Just keep your common sense about you and you'll have the same fun as everybody else. So as an "old-timer" to a "Newbie", I say Welcome!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

69 (edited by OverStimulated 2009-09-08 12:51 PM)

OK, I gotta say thanks to all of you posting comments to this thread, constructive or otherwise!  Team Stimulus Package (#78 at BW) made the mistake of letting our rookie drivers have a shot at running this event as our regular drivers weren't going to drive this time.  Well, if you've read this far, you can see that it didn't turn out so well...

We decided to put the drivers through a little Lemons justice session of our own the other night so that they'd learn something, or at least we'd feel better.  I printed out this whole thread and taped the ~50 pages together end to end and we had them read the entire thread out loud, and mime and draw their crimes.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_63yByAurRNE/SqCqOdta3YI/AAAAAAAABbs/gp7bx1OQtrc/s288/DSCI0011.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_63yByAurRNE/SqCqP9PHmdI/AAAAAAAABbw/3r07TqjJ3Zw/s288/DSCI0020.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_63yByAurRNE/SqCqRRwyWRI/AAAAAAAABb0/pJsQCQeob4E/s288/DSCI0026.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_63yByAurRNE/SqCqSpUYylI/AAAAAAAABb4/6IbZVH8g-nk/s288/DSCI0037.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_63yByAurRNE/SqCqUPlzAtI/AAAAAAAABb8/WmRcKlKIRZk/s288/DSCI0045.JPG

IF you're masochistic, here's the 30 minute session reduced to 10 minutes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCtMwsO2zeU

haha awesome!  I'll admit I almost got t-boned by the stimulator once right before the sweeper.

71 (edited by Michael Rennick 2009-09-05 04:57 AM)

I fully understand the notion of if there is metal on metal contact both cars are coming in regardless of who was at fault.  We were spun by another team and given a penalty of writing sentences on the top of our car.  I think we wrote "I hate hitting stuff" 50 times or something.  They said we could get as many people as we needed to help us.  The team that hit us ran right over and started writing.  We thought that was pretty classy.

Now THAT'S good parenting!

FreeRange wrote:

The 3 members of our team that have done a few of these races had 0 black flags.  The one member with much more "seat time" but much less "Lemons seat time" wracked up 3 black flags.  And spent about 6 hours throughout the weekend telling us how much he didn't deserve them.

Hmm I wonder who that was?

-J

Head Wookie
Snowspeeder Pilots Association
'85 MR2

One word J... Racecraft!