Re: So ..... what's the official tally on the Lamest Day entry?

I mean really, what's the point in a roll cage if no one gets to try theirs out.

Go ahead, try it.  We'll watch. 

Just make sure the insurance guy is distracted.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

27 (edited by Bryan KF8G 2009-09-03 08:44 PM)

We just need to put the fear of God into everyone about the carousel!!! That's where you can do your worst!! Drop a wheel or go in too fast and you're in the tires pretty hard. And there's a creek behind the wall. We had a Corvette almost land in it this time last year!!! I don't think the kink will be much of a problem. We had three Lemons cars out a couple of weeks ago and they behaved themselves nicely.
A lap of Nelson in our Junk Player Special Jetta which roughly equates to an SCCA ITB. Coming out of 13 you can be in second or if you do it right, third gear. Catch fourth near the start tower and set up for turn 1/2. Stay all the way left until the pavement change and stay hard in the throttle apexing about the middle to late. Drift out to the added patch on the left and stay there for turn three. Turn in late for a late apex with the throttle still pegged and drift to the large patch on the left. Turn 4 or oak tree is best done with a center turn in braking just a bit at the pavement change turning in early and standing on the gas. (Yes, I even do this with my rear wheel drive RX-7) Stay very tight on the bottom since the banking is more there. About 3/4 out drift out a bit then hit the second apex at 6. Stay on the gas hard through turn seven to the second repair patch and lightly left foot brake while on the gas. Take about a middle line to the apex at 9 where you should already be full throttle and apex middle to late drifting close, but not off the small patch on the left. Accelerate through 10 going right to shorten the line and drift left to set up for the kink. If you're driving a faster car, there are four paint marks on the left edge of the track. Small cars wait till the last mark and turn in flat out in the kink and hang on for dear life hoping it sticks on the exit. Let the car drift all the way left and right at the pavement change before the yump, brake lightly and drop to 4th gear. After settling over the yump, brake harder and grab third gear staying all the way right for the entrance of 12. At the access road, pin the throttle to the floor and turn in at a middle apex drifting to the right on the exit. Point the nose of the car towards the large telephone pole across the street and let the car come left a bit while braking fairly hard towards the tip of a large patch about the middle of 13. Turn into as late an apex as you can feeding as much throttle on as you can without pushing hard out and stay off the left side where the track is at it's widest. Done correctly, you should exit about where the edge of the track is on the same plane as the front straight and you're on your way to the next lap. Best guess about a lap time is about a 1:25 for Stella. My Mazda (with the former owner driving) can do a 1:19 and the fastest ITA Hondas are near the 1:14 mark. The track record overall is a C Sports Racer at a :59 second lap!!!

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

We were one of said Lemons cars.  The kink will be fine as long as everyone is mindful of how on the edge people will be there, and how much of the track is used up taking it properly.  The kink IMO is not a good place for a high power car to try and get alongside a low power car.  If everyone is respectful it won't be a problem.

The only type of 'obstacle' I would consider safe to put there would be to basically move the apex to the left, making it more of a forced 90 degree turn to force breaking earlier on the straight.  This would also slow down 12 though, which is where I see a lot of fun things happening :-) .

I chicane near the kink would probably end in repeated disaster as fast and slow cars try and funnel in from the fastest section of the course along side each other.