Re: Massive cage problem in Indiana

Damn! I thought about it after leaving the computer this morning to go work on the Caddy, and decided to offer to install the cage Friday morning at the track. Looks like Rob not only beat me to the offer, but it's not needed anyway.

In other news, the Caddy cage is nearly done. smile

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

27 (edited by MagnumPI 2009-09-24 12:28 PM)

^^ any pictures of said caddy?

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

It has a factory transistor ignition unit and magnetic pick up coil.  The problem is somewhere in the wiring harness.  I can unplug the TIU, distributor, etc and it doesn't matter.  I only get 10.5V to the coil before the ballast resistor.  That should be 12.5V.  The resistor knocks the voltage down to 7-8V normally, but due to our issue, the voltage to the coil is only 2.5.  When I unplug the wire that bypasses the coil during cranking, the voltage is correct at 12.5V to the resistor, but it remains 12.5V to the coil which is bad and will cook it.  That's what I'm trying to avoid.  The resistor checks out, as does every component, per the factory service manual.  The resistance through the harness is within spec as well.  I have a short somewhere, I just can't find it.  I have tried to run direct wires to bypass the harness, but I get the same result.  I really don't know where to look next.  It will start and run, but I know the coil will be short lived if I don't find the problem.  It can only handle around 8V sustained input.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Sounds like a corroded connection somewhere. This is why you have 12.5 when it's unplugged but it falls on it's face when it's loaded by the coil. You have just enough contact at the failed point to carry the current needed to deflect your meter but nowhere near what is needed to supply the coil. Unless you have a real sensitive meter the value it gives you for those short lengths of wire will be terribly inaccurate as well. Either you have a corroded connectors or some wire only has one strand left conducting.

Thanks for the tip.  I will see if I can clean every connector with contact cleaner.

'74 260Z

If it's a low-voltage coil, what you need is a ballast resistor.

I'd just find a 12v coil.  It will give a stronger spark.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

You may need a ballast resistor in the coil's run circuit. Give it full batt voltage during cranking, but push run current through the resistor. Chrysler units from the 70's are cheap and available at most parts stores. I use one in my Triumph.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Jeff,

On the 240Z we use a simple ON/OFF switch.  It sends 12 volts to the coil now.  Before I switched to a non-resistor coil, I ran 12 volts to the resistor.

If you are using the coil I sent you, it's out of the 240 and was raced twice with 12V to the resistor. 

I changed the coil because we had a high RPM issue which appears to have been a distributor problem.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I think we will need to do some rewiring.  The coil and resistor appear OK, but somewhere in the harness we are getting a voltage drop under load.  I am heading out to work on car for the rest of the day/night, so hopefully I will have it resolved by late tonight.

'74 260Z