Topic: Anyone got into a Dogfight with the #24 Buick @ Lamest Day? Post here!

I did most of the driving in the car up until 4am at which point i curled up in my paddock and froze my jewels off in a sleeping bag til the race was over. I feel kinda bad i didn't get any sunday morning time but I figure it's not a good idea to jump back in the hotseat when you can barely lift yourself out of it during a refueling. Let me know how I did so I know who I had all the fun with!

Re: Anyone got into a Dogfight with the #24 Buick @ Lamest Day? Post here!

well, during my stints I really had a lot of Fun dicing it up with the Dai Mondai Celica, the #82 Fiero, the Schumacher Taxi Service MR-2 (forgive me i didnt get your name after our stints ended around 5:30pm!) and that pinkish Rusert Machine square thing... I believe I had some real good side-by-side with a few others by i can't remember offhand.

I'm not sure who was in your car when I was driving the Dai Mondai Celica (5:30-8pm and 6-7:30 am), but whoever was in it in the morning was making the car seem even bigger than it was!  It was downright scary to see that thing bounding through the kink and I was really hesitant to get beside it!  Honestly, I was getting a little irritated by the defensiveness of the Buick, but it was all in good fun smile

- Anthony Magagnoli
2012 NASA SpecE30 National Champion

DriveFasterNow.com

the 6-7:30am driver i think was a guy from the #42 Crown vic which is technically my other team. we were short-staffed at that time and he took it out so i could sleep. Yeah that car probably looked downright scary on the track, but OH MAN was it fun to drive. very easy to control too.  My stints specifically were from around 2:15-5:30, and again from around 10 or 11 i want to say until 4am. I was right with the Celica in the night hours and he'd hit some traffic and I'd shoot under him, then vice-versa 4 corners later. LOTS of fun! I just like meeting the guys who gimme a run for it smile

Serj wrote:

the 6-7:30am driver i think was a guy from the #42 Crown vic which is technically my other team. we were short-staffed at that time and he took it out so i could sleep. Yeah that car probably looked downright scary on the track, but OH MAN was it fun to drive. very easy to control too.  My stints specifically were from around 2:15-5:30, and again from around 10 or 11 i want to say until 4am. I was right with the Celica in the night hours and he'd hit some traffic and I'd shoot under him, then vice-versa 4 corners later. LOTS of fun! I just like meeting the guys who gimme a run for it smile

What car is this again? I wasn't in until 6pm, and 6am iirc. I didn't have any company except the first stint where I was nose to tail with the nicely prepped red Alfa for most of that time. (Maybe I'll try with the Lex next year wink

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I got into some epic battles with the two square box Alfas!!! At one point, after I exhausted my bag of tricks on the silver one, I emptied the mud puddle at 13 on him!!! I had a ball running them down. Once I got by, I was faster, but they really made me work at it. All in good fun!!! smile

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

Spinnetti wrote:

What car is this again? I wasn't in until 6pm, and 6am iirc. I didn't have any company except the first stint where I was nose to tail with the nicely prepped red Alfa for most of that time. (Maybe I'll try with the Lex next year wink

hey Spinnetti! I never ever caught you in your pit, lol. I ran the #24 Buick Lesabre with the matte grey/black and orange camo pattern on the sides, and full taillights. I did almost a 6-hour stint at night(basically i had to stop every 2-hours for gas no matter what so i got to stretch and verify i wasn't overdoing it)

8 (edited by Bonedriver 2009-10-07 11:20 PM)

Believe it or not, I actually got into a fight with the Olds 98 and the Eagle Premier.... oh and the Lada a few times...

Until one of our other drivers decided to see if our 61 Caddy could fly through the tire wall...

It was fun just being out there guys... I tried to just stay out of the way and drive a VERY predictable line. Those three cars always seemed to pull away from us, but in the turns they always slowed way down so I tried to pass them... but always seemed back up traffic behind us...

Anyway... can't wait to mix it up with you guys in the Mark VIII in the spring - that is if we can find a new motor... and tranny... and well you know how that goes...

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

9 (edited by Buzz Killington 2009-10-08 05:36 AM)

Serj wrote:

the Schumacher Taxi Service MR-2 (forgive me i didnt get your name after our stints ended around 5:30pm!)

that was probably Dave, one of our better drivers.  he was fighting with you for a few laps.  we all gave him crap about not being able to get past a buick. wink

Dave's stint at 16x speed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88vaCpzJdBQ

lots of Spec Miata action; the Buick is in there around the 3:50 mark.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
Serj wrote:

the Schumacher Taxi Service MR-2 (forgive me i didnt get your name after our stints ended around 5:30pm!)

that was probably Dave, one of our better drivers.  he was fighting with you for a few laps.  we all gave him crap about not being able to get past a buick. wink

Dave's stint at 16x speed:

lots of Spec Miata action; the Buick is in there around the 3:50 mark.

hahahahahaha Thanks mike! that just made my day. You guys were definitely fast and that MR2 was really tough to follow once we hit traffic. I'm thinking I'll have to do a "grumpy old men" theme next time to make it even more fun!

Bonedriver wrote:

Until one of our other drivers decided to see if our 61 Caddy could fly through the tire wall...
(..)
but in the turns they always slowed way down so I tried to pass them... but always seemed back up traffic behind us...

Wait, you drove the Caddy and were trying to pass people in the turns?  Much respect!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Serj wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

hey Spinnetti! I never ever caught you in your pit, lol. I ran the #24 Buick Lesabre with the matte grey/black and orange camo pattern on the sides, and full taillights. I did almost a 6-hour stint at night(basically i had to stop every 2-hours for gas no matter what so i got to stretch and verify i wasn't overdoing it)

Dang, that's a lot of driving! I meant to catch up with several folks, but things were mighty busy, especially for you! You guys did a good job in the Buick!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:
Serj wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

Dang, that's a lot of driving! I meant to catch up with several folks, but things were mighty busy, especially for you! You guys did a good job in the Buick!

Yeah, Funny thing is, I got out of the car for more gas @ 4am, and I was wide awake and enjoying myself, but my legs were starting to disagree with getting me out of the car so I opted to wake someone else up. smile

Serj wrote:

That was me.  I remember coming up behind you and thinking, "Oh look, a Buick!  This won't take long."  Boy was I wrong.  We have my stint up on youtube at 16x:

You show up at about 5:45.  I finally get around you at 6:10, which is about 6 minutes and 40 seconds in real time.  That was the most fun I had the whole race.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

Thanks dave for the challenge! Mike posted that before and I was just saying how tough it was to keep following you once we hit traffic. I usually just drive easy til it thins out a bit so @ that point you were gone. At the moment I'm hoping to grab those bits in real time to see if I can hear how bad I was pushing the tires smile

You know, I went back and watched some of my video from my first session (5:30pm to 8) and noticed that the Buick was VERY polite during that session.  I waved in appreciation several times!  Different drivers, I s'pose smile

- Anthony Magagnoli
2012 NASA SpecE30 National Champion

DriveFasterNow.com

Heh. Awww I was polite! I was using turn signals and everything! Doesn't mean I can't be fast too tongue

Serj wrote:

Thanks dave for the challenge! Mike posted that before and I was just saying how tough it was to keep following you once we hit traffic. I usually just drive easy til it thins out a bit so @ that point you were gone. At the moment I'm hoping to grab those bits in real time to see if I can hear how bad I was pushing the tires smile

I'll see if we can pull that sequence off in realtime and youtube it.

I have the Schumacher fight in real time now.  I'm uploading to youtube...  Will post link as soon as it's finished.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z9Jk4s3dM

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Dude, the body movement on that Buick is frightening coming out of the kink!  It looked like the suspension was about to just toss the rest of the car off in the grass and keep going.

22 (edited by PunisherBass 2009-10-09 09:27 PM)

You have no idea how proud that video made me.

DaveH wrote:

Dude, the body movement on that Buick is frightening coming out of the kink!  It looked like the suspension was about to just toss the rest of the car off in the grass and keep going.

And people say Buick's only have soft suspension.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

hahahah, Thanks Rob, and Thank you Dave for the great battle!  yeah, the suspension was pretty soft on the Buick, but you know what they say, loose is fast! Actually, in the cockpit and actually driving the car, the whole track felt pretty sedate except the carousel and the bump right at the kink where they had the chicane. the carousel had a habit of putting the car into an over/under steer situation that took some conscious effort to keep the car balanced. I actually hung the ass-end of the car out when i was chasing an integra on the outside. Must have been OK though seeing as he went 4-off and tail spun and i kept right on going.

the kink with the cones had this habit of unloading the suspension just enough to make it spooky. I spent my entire first stint adjusting a method of brief braking to set the suspension and catapulting the car out the other side of the bump. looks like most of the laps of our get-together I was put on the outside of the turn, necessitating more brakes than i wanted to use for it. 

Also, seems like most of the time you're going part-throttle on the straight, I am too, darn civics holding us back smile

I expect we can continue again at another venue smile