Topic: Tires

Sorry if this has already been hashed-out, but we're lookin' to do Nelson with a minimum of work / tire changes. What lasts long with decent stick?

Yeah baby!
#47 Impreza:  2009 Lamest Day; 3rd / 2010 Capital Offense; 4th (with a blown head gasket) / 2010 New England something or another; 60 somethingth, f'n wheel bearing / 2010 Lemons Fall South 77th out a 101 - all 10 feet shot off! Then there was Miami...

Re: Tires

Nanker Phelge wrote:

Sorry if this has already been hashed-out, but we're lookin' to do Nelson with a minimum of work / tire changes. What lasts long with decent stick?

Search my friend...

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=113

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

"we're lookin' to do Nelson with a minimum of work / tire changes"    say what?

You are going to have to change tires.
You are going to have to work on your car when, not if, the piece of crap breaks.
You are going to have to work on your car when one of your foolish driver hits something.
You are going to have to work on your car when another foolish driver (hell that's all of us out there) runs into you.

How else do you plan to do that heroic fix that gets you out of the pits and back on the road to glory?  Are you going to just talk to your car and tell it to fix itself?

Get ready to work you ass off (and have more fun than should be legal).

In upteen years of doing the Longest Day at Nelson's I can remember a Fiat X19 doing the race on just 5 tires.  EVERY other car uses 8-10 or more tires in 24 hours. Big cars eat left front tires.  Bring plenty.

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Tires have been discussed a lot.

Regarding no break downs, I saw an ES300  for about $500 yesterday.  A nice early 90's V6 Camry is about as reliable as they come.  The 4 bangers are a clearance motor, don't know about the 6's.  They are cheap, uninspiring yet hard to kill.

Like Spud, said accidents happen.  We've been bumped and bumped some folks but nothing significant.  Maybe we've just been lucky.

If you've never raced before, plan to get acquainted with Jonny and Phil.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Thanks Riktor for the link. It's exactly what I was looking for (it was late & I didn't want to search... there; I've admitted it... I feel much better).

I'm not worried about working on the POS, we expect it... mechanical, damage etc. is anticipated... just lookin to limit the time spent in the pits that can be limited.

Thanks all!! Looking forward to this one!

Yeah baby!
#47 Impreza:  2009 Lamest Day; 3rd / 2010 Capital Offense; 4th (with a blown head gasket) / 2010 New England something or another; 60 somethingth, f'n wheel bearing / 2010 Lemons Fall South 77th out a 101 - all 10 feet shot off! Then there was Miami...

Youre Welcome...

It was an important topic for me. But we are pretty much settled on using what I have used for all of my SCCA events.

Good ol Falkens

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Spud wrote:

"we're lookin' to do Nelson with a minimum of work / tire changes"    say what?

You are going to have to change tires.
You are going to have to work on your car when, not if, the piece of crap breaks.
You are going to have to work on your car when one of your foolish driver hits something.
You are going to have to work on your car when another foolish driver (hell that's all of us out there) runs into you.

How else do you plan to do that heroic fix that gets you out of the pits and back on the road to glory?  Are you going to just talk to your car and tell it to fix itself?

Get ready to work you ass off (and have more fun than should be legal).

In upteen years of doing the Longest Day at Nelson's I can remember a Fiat X19 doing the race on just 5 tires.  EVERY other car uses 8-10 or more tires in 24 hours. Big cars eat left front tires.  Bring plenty.

Spud

Well we are back!!!!!!!!!!!!

We did change the fronts " once"

Nothin broke !

We did hit something, but it made the car better!

No body hit us "Cause we know when to duck!

Aside from installing the cage. The fire extinguisher and belts, the only "work" we did was, change the oil, and put water in the radiator, check the other fluids, we also put new brake shoes on and painted the numbers on the car" Before " we arrived in Ohio!

We actually came with more Beer then Gas! Cause we thought the thing would brake down and we could drink beer all night and watch the antics, One thing we were not gonna do is Work our assz off...So much for plans!

We threw a rod after an hour...damn Camaro.  We'll be back...

...and those faulken tires are amazin!!

Yeah baby!